Changing Points Used on Existing Reservation

JWhiz

Mouseketeer
I'm curious if anyone has experience with this. About to close on a resale contract that has points banked in from 2022. I already have my reservations booked for my 2023 UY, so unless I plan another trip I could lose the banked points. I have one reservation remaining in September/October this year. It was booked at the seven month mark, so no home resort rights were used. Do you think it would be possible to call MS and have them swamp my expiring points with some of the 2023 points? Would this result in them basically canceling and rebooking?

Alternatively, if I added a day to the reservation, using the new points (some expiring), and then later removed a day from the reservation, would I get to pick which points to use of the second modification? Or would the points I used to add the additional night be the first to be "refunded" if I changed it back.

Just wanting to not lose the 2022 banked points if at all possible. Thanks for any suggestions.

As long as the new contract is in the same membership as the reservation, you can modify the reservation you made, choose both contracts, and then rebook it without changing a thing.

Once you do, the system will take the newly banked points. If you don’t feel comfortable doing yourself, use chat or call and ask them to reallocate the new points into the reservation.

As long as the new contract is in the same membership as the reservation, you can modify the reservation you made, choose both contracts, and then rebook it without changing a thing.

Once you do, the system will take the newly banked points. If you don’t feel comfortable doing yourself, use chat or call and ask them to reallocate the new points into the reservation.
Thank you! That totally makes sense. Will give it a try once my new contact’s points get added to my account.

Is there a complication if I have used current and borrowed points? In other words, when I substitute the new points for ones I've used, I would release points from another contract. Because I cannot bank borrowed points, I would like to release current year points instead of the borrowed points. I'm wondering if the system would let me do that. Or if it would be obvious one way or the other when I try to rebook online. Essentially I don't want to replace borrowed points that I still cannot use in 2023, because I won't be taking another trip, with banked points from 2022 that I cannot use in 2023 either. In other words, much like the use of banked points generally being used first, I would hope to use borrowed points first too since they have already been borrowed, instead of current year points. Confusing enough yet? :-)

Is there a complication if I have used current and borrowed points? In other words, when I substitute the new points for ones I've used, I would release points from another contract. Because I cannot bank borrowed points, I would like to release current year points instead of the borrowed points. I'm wondering if the system would let me do that. Or if it would be obvious one way or the other when I try to rebook online. Essentially I don't want to replace borrowed points that I still cannot use in 2023, because I won't be taking another trip, with banked points from 2022 that I cannot use in 2023 either. In other words, much like the use of banked points generally being used first, I would hope to use borrowed points first too since they have already been borrowed, instead of current year points. Confusing enough yet? :-)
Call member services. I had them seap out points used at the 7 mo mark. I decided to bank more bay lake points for next year vs boardwalk points.

The system will use the banked and borrowed points first and then free up the current UY points.

It will always free up the least restricted points you have!

I did this when I bought banked points. It won't work if you booked with 7+ mo priority and are trying to swap in non-home points.

I took only banked from one contract, only borrowed from another, it was a mess. But MS could see it all and handled it on the phone.

You can do this to some degree online, but I would call to make sure you get exactly what you need when it's this complicated.

It won't work if you booked with 7+ mo priority and are trying to swap in non-home points.
Yeah, thankfully I used "mixed points" at the start, so it wasn't booked under my home resort privileges (even though the stay is at one on my home resorts.

The system will use the banked and borrowed points first and then free up the current UY points.

Thanks for this. I'm always game to at least try online. I prefer when I'm in control. LOL

If it looks like it's not doing what I want, I can always call. I'm also not adverse to just eating the points as it's not a lot, but hate giving up bonus money like that.

Last edited:
Thanks for this. I'm always game to at least try online. I prefer when I'm in control. LOL

If it looks like it's not doing what I want, I can always call. I'm also not adverse to just eating the points as it's not a lot, but had giving up bonus money like that.

Just be sure to follow all the way to the end and book...when you have more than one contract, the screen right before booking makes it sound like it won't take banked or borrowed points, but it always does..but, as you say, when you are done, review that points summary before going back to the dashboard and if it looks wrong, call or chat!

I have found the online system really does use restricted points first. Very happy here!

Mind if I dig this back up?

So, if you are trying this tactic using a contract with a different membership then you can’t without cancelling and trying to rebook correct? Basically, screwed? I have this exact scenario coming up once I close on a resale with a new UY.

Mind if I dig this back up?

So, if you are trying this tactic using a contract with a different membership then you can’t without cancelling and trying to rebook correct? Basically, screwed? I have this exact scenario coming up once I close on a resale with a new UY.

The only way it would work is if you got MS to transfer the banked points for you since you own both. They have made that exception occasionally, but I would not count on that…as banked points are not supposed to be transferred.

Since the new contract is a brand new membership, and the reservation is on your current one, it can’t be done without that exception.

Now, one thing you can do…and I have done it successfully a few times…is keep stalking for the first or last night of your trip to show up and book it with the banked points…and continue doing that or a waitlist to try to slowly move it.

The only way it would work is if you got MS to transfer the banked points for you since you own both. They have made that exception occasionally, but I would not count on that…as banked points are not supposed to be transferred.

Since the new contract is a brand new membership, and the reservation is on your current one, it can’t be done without that exception.

Now, one thing you can do…and I have done it successfully a few times…is keep stalking for the first or last night of your trip to show up and book it with the banked points…and continue doing that or a waitlist to try to slowly move it.
Since you're a pro let me ask you about a complicated situation. I currently have 7 nights at Aulani booked. I used combined SSR and VGF points at the 7 month window. I have banked VGF points in there. I want to shorten the trip and it will be low enough that I can cover it with only my SSR points. Can I have the VGF points released, including the banked points? I want to use those to make an 11 month VGF booking for next December. To make it more complicated I added on a night at the end of the trip which also used my VGF points and is in a separate reservation currently, so I want to combine everything into one reservation and use up my SSR points first and release as many of my VGF points as possible. Can I do this? Can member services do it if I call?

Since you're a pro let me ask you about a complicated situation. I currently have 7 nights at Aulani booked. I used combined SSR and VGF points at the 7 month window. I have banked VGF points in there. I want to shorten the trip and it will be low enough that I can cover it with only my SSR points. Can I have the VGF points released, including the banked points? I want to use those to make an 11 month VGF booking for next December. To make it more complicated I added on a night at the end of the trip which also used my VGF points and is in a separate reservation currently, so I want to combine everything into one reservation and use up my SSR points first and release as many of my VGF points as possible. Can I do this? Can member services do it if I call?

The online system will automatically use up the banked points if you choose both contracts.

However, since you have enough SSR to book what you want, only check that when you go to book and it won’t touch the VGF points at all.

The online system will automatically use up the banked points if you choose both contracts.

However, since you have enough SSR to book what you want, only check that when you go to book and it won’t touch the VGF points at all.
When I go to modify the reservation, it has the contracts locked. It says I have to use SSR 1st. I have 165 SSR points available and the reservation would only be 124. So it says it's going to use SSR first, but then on that last page before you confirm it says that you won't really know how it's going to pull the points until you make the reservation. And it says banked points will be used first. So I'm not sure what it's actually going to do if I confirm the modifications

When I go to modify the reservation, it has the contracts locked. It says I have to use SSR 1st. I have 165 SSR points available and the reservation would only be 124. So it says it's going to use SSR first, but then on that last page before you confirm it says that you won't really know how it's going to pull the points until you make the reservation. And it says banked points will be used first. So I'm not sure what it's actually going to do if I confirm the modifications

Since the contracts are locked you will have to call MS and they should be able to help.

The system online is going to force you to use the banked points because of the locks.

Since the contracts are locked you will have to call MS and they should be able to help.

The system online is going to force you to use the banked points because of the locks.
It's weird though because it's locked saying I have to use SSR first, but the banked points are VGF. I'm going to call tomorrow and see what they can do. Thanks for your help!

It's weird though because it's locked saying I have to use SSR first, but the banked points are VGF. I'm going to call tomorrow and see what they can do. Thanks for your help!

That is because both contracts are locked which means both can be used.

It will always use banked points from either contract if both have been chosen.

If the locks were not there, and you could choose only SSR, then it would not touch the VGF points, including the banked ones.

That is because both contracts are locked which means both can be used.

It will always use banked points from either contract if both have been chosen.

If the locks were not there, and you could choose only SSR, then it would not touch the VGF points, including the banked ones.
What does it mean when the contracts are locked? Why does this happen?

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter