Chapek out - Iger back

I agree with you mostly, but I also think he's going to have to do some damage control of public perception of the brand and of the parks.
Sure he will fix the PR but that does nothing to change what's happening to the parks. Genie+, reservations, loss of perks are here to stay. When I see better PR all I picture is then giving guests a fancy cupcake to distract them from the bad things at the parks.

I don’t think Iger will be directly involved in any expansion plans, but his mandate is to groom a new CEO and given his limited time he may be able to plant the right philosophical seeds.
Look for a buyout of a Company that expands Disney's presence in the "meta"-verse or something along those lines. I think this is almost a given since it's one of Iger's greatest strengths. But we'll see.....

Sure he will fix the PR but that does nothing to change what's happening to the parks. Genie+, reservations, loss of perks are here to stay. When I see better PR all I picture is then giving guests a fancy cupcake to distract them from the bad things at the parks.

Those things can play a part in repairing the damage that's been done to the brand. I wouldn't expect to see Genie+ or park reservations eliminated/changed entirely, but I do think a few gestures of good will in relation to those elements could be a possibility. As in, we will still pay for Genie+, but perhaps the system is reworked a bit to offer a better service. Park reservations probably aren't going anywhere, but maybe they tweak the park hopping rule to allow more flexibility. A few changes like this could go a long way to making Disney fans happy and restoring their public image.

Those things can play a part in repairing the damage that's been done to the brand. I wouldn't expect to see Genie+ or park reservations eliminated/changed entirely, but I do think a few gestures of good will in relation to those elements could be a possibility. As in, we will still pay for Genie+, but perhaps the system is reworked a bit to offer a better service. Park reservations probably aren't going anywhere, but maybe they tweak the park hopping rule to allow more flexibility. A few changes like this could go a long way to making Disney fans happy and restoring their public image.
I don't see the hopping limit changing. Changing it defeats the purpose of reservations. They go hand in hand. Reservations are used to push guests to lower attended parks each day.

As far as Genie+ goes, other then capping sales there isn't much that would make it better. They don't have enough capacity for it to work.

I don't see the hopping limit changing. Changing it defeats the purpose of reservations. They go hand in hand. Reservations are used to push guests to lower attended parks each day.

As far as Genie+ goes, other then capping sales there isn't much that would make it better. They don't have enough capacity for it to work.

It could also be argued that park hopping is inconsistent with your stated "purpose" of reservations.

What happens if EVERYONE decides to hop to Epcot one day? Or MK? How do you staff a park not knowing how many people will end up there after 2pm?

It could also be argued that park hopping is inconsistent with your stated "purpose" of reservations.

What happens if EVERYONE decides to hop to Epcot one day? Or MK? How do you staff a park not knowing how many people will end up there after 2pm?
This has always been the question I've had. I kinda thought this is why DL doesn't make you check into your original park if you arrive after 1:00. At that point the reservation is moot as everyone is going to head to whatever park they ultimately wanted to visit on that day.

Hard agree. If they need to keep reservations in some form then I would argue that a WDW reservation or DLR reservation should be enough. They can even even keep the distinction of single park reservation or multiple park reservation. I have no idea how that works I'm just throwing suggestions but if cast members are really needed in one park vs the other, can they not shift them? Wouldn't knowing how many ppl will be in your parks in general be the same as what they have now? Technically their reservation system only works for mornings.

Get rid of the stupid reservation system, and let us park hop when we feel like it since we paid extra for the damn tickets. Genie+ should at least allow you to ride your favourite Lightning Lane attractions more than once per day if you want to. In other words, go back to the old Fastpass type system. If they stopped charging for it, better still.

It's not about staffing but making sure all parks are full.

While I agree that Disney+ will be the first order of business, I'd disagree with the whole idea that Iger will simply see profit from the parks and move on. He's a creative guy and has always pushed for innovation. He's also not going to just look at the ledger and be happy. He has enough foresight to understand that declining cleanliness, increased ride downtimes, cast member displeasure/staffing difficulties and lack of any meaningful future expansion/renovation plans (beyond Tiana's Adventure and Epcot) will eventually stem that theme park profitability.
And the theme parks play an oversized role in the Disney brand. The current level of dissatisfaction with the parks must be addressed for the company's long-time health.

Yes, I know that attendance at the parks has been good, and Chapek could point to those numbers and say that the parks are doing fine, but I think Iger is smart enough to realize that the systemic problems cited by Don are going to bite Disney in the long run if they aren't fixed.

True, but if 30% of your attendance in AK is just biding time until they can bug out to MK, then you have maybe 3 hours of "full" park? Even if you lose 20% to hopping, that's still a considerable drop. I mean, many would argue it's a half-day park even on a good day.

True, but if 3% of your attendance in AK is just biding time until they can bug out to MK, then you have maybe 3 hours of "full" park? Even if you lose 20% to hopping, that's still a considerable drop. I mean, many would argue it's a half-day park even on a good day.
Those few hours are better then that 3% not going at all.

Those few hours are better then that 3% not going at all.
Sorry, that was a typo. I meant 30%.

I'd respectfully argue that it isn't. Morning hours are the least profitable for the theme parks. Few are ready to eat (with most who stay on property eating before leaving their hotel), and aside from maybe a few ears, very few people are buying merch with 8 or 10 hours of lugging it around ahead of them with absolutely no benefit to purchasing early (it will still be there when it's time to leave).

A small change that will not cost them will be the park hopping time rule. Immediately make some happiness without expense.

That would pretty much make the park reservation system obsolete.

No, it wouldn't, at least not at WDW. Very few people these days spring for the extra hopping option, except for AP holders, and they have considerably thinned out that herd at this point. Inflation will contribute as well, as more people try to maximize their vacation dollars.

The thing is, Disney AP holders (esp. WDW) are VERY vocal. They talk a lot, and reporters find what they say and go fishing for stories. Making them a wee bit happier can only help the situation. (The one exception to that is the eBay merch resellers. Those people have to be stopped, not because I feel they are taking unfair advantage to my detriment, but because they make mgmt. predisposed to throw out the baby with the bathwater. Disney doesn't like losing on those merchandise exclusives, and the easiest way to quell them is to eliminate APs, but it's overkill. A company with as much big data at their fingertips as WDW can easily find and ban these people, all it would take is a decision to take a hard line.)

Did you notice the other day that notice that walk-up day pass buyers no longer need a reservation? They say that they will tell them which parks are available and not sell those that are not, but I do not believe for a hot minute that someone standing at the MK ticket booth will be told that their only choice for that day is DAK. I'm betting any money that they will be let in to whatever park they are standing at the gate of unless the park is truly maxxed out, such as on Easter or Xmas.

FWIW, I would be completely satisfied with changing down the reservation system to still require reservations on major attendance days but not every day, and I think the average AP holder would be fine with that idea.

Iger is in a golden position right now to pull back on some of the pandemic changes and tweak things, because even though they were planned on his previous watch, in practice there is a LOT of room for improvement. He can vaguely blame the problems on Chapek, and thus has a lot more wiggle room than would otherwise be there.

I think what sealed Chapek's fate is his tendency to target people he perceived as threats, and to give outsize power to people he perceived as loyal to him personally. That creates institutional paranoia, and take it from me; once that sets in, a company is in deep, deep trouble. The 2d tier execs read the writing on the wall and acted.

Last edited:

I don't believe that is true at all. I've been to "sold out" (of reservations) days at Disneyland and DCA numerous times over the last year and crowd levels have varied considerably.

It's about "fill up the parks to the staffing level we feel like implementing on any given day" more than "fill up the parks to capacity."

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter