Cheap and Easy Casserole...

Ok, my crockpot is covered with dust...entice me to clean it off with some yummy crock-pot ideas please. :goodvibes

This should probably be its own thread! My easiest crock pot recipe is for pulled pork. I buy as large a bone in pork loin roast as I can find (my crockpot is 6 qt so if I'm making something-might as well make enough to freeze the extra). Slice 1 yellow onion and place on bottom of crock, place roast on top and cover with 1 bottle of your fav BBQ sauce. Cook on low 6-8 hours. It will be falling apart. Take meat out of crock and remove bones, shred with 2 forks and return meat to crock. Keep on warm til ready to serve. I serve it on hamburger buns with coleslaw and pickles. Pass extra BBQ sauce at the table if wanted. Makes a ton of delicious sandwiches!

The crockpot makes great chicken tacos.

4 chicken breasts
1 cup chicken broth
1 package of taco seasoning

Place everything in crockpot and cook 6-8 hours.
Shred and they are perfect for tacos!!

I haven't read the entire thread BUT here is a new fav in our household. My daughter needs more Omega 3 fatty acids in her diet so after trying just about EVERY WAY to get her to eat fish i stumbled on this

Place about 4 filets of a mild white fish (i use Tilapia) in the bottom of a 8 x 8 pan

NOW here comes the hard part :rotfl2:

1/2 cup cream cheese softened
1/2 cup mayo
a good handful grated sharp cheddar cheese

Mix and spread this "thick goop" all over the fish sealing in the entire pan

Bake at 350 for 30 minutes. You will not believe how wonderfuly tasty this makes the fish -- she eats a huge portion and i only ever get to eat a 1/2 filet cause she steals the rest of mine.

serve with rice and salad and feel good about being healthy (ok ok a bit high in fat this week I am gonna sneak in 1/2 fat cream cheese & mayo)

Ok went back and read thru the thread (almost most of it) and have added several to my growing file!

Here's got to be the simplest fool-proof roast recipe

when roasts are on sale I ALWAYS buy and extra one and throw it into the freezer

EMERGENCY ROAST

Drop frozen roast in Crockpot
Cover with boiling water (I always add some bovril for flavour)
cook on low for around 9 hours

POOF that's it!

This is a crockpot recipe, so not exactly a casserole, but it's cheap and easy.

Crockpot Chicken & Dumplings

4 chicken breasts, cut into pieces
2 cans cream of chicken soup, condensed -- (10.75 ounce)
1 onion -- finely diced
1 package refrigerated biscuits -- (10 ounce) torn into pieces
baby carrots, optional

Place the chicken, soup, and onion in a slow cooker, and fill with enough water to cover ( I use about 2-21/2 cups). Cover the slow cooker, and cook for 5 to 6 hours on High.
Tear each biscuit into 8 pieces or so. ABout 60 minutes before serving, put in baby carrots. About 30 minutes before serving, place the torn biscuit dough in the slow cooker. Cook until the dough is no longer raw in the center.

This is one of those recipes you can "tweak". Prefer whole chicken breasts? That's fine. Don't like onions? Leave them out. I like the carrots added in, but it's fine without.

I chop the chicken, add the soup and onion, and freeze in a ziplock bag. Then I take out when I want to have it, add the water and cook all day. It's great for busy days.

My kids LOVE it

Julia

This sounds yummy!! I bought everything for this one when I went shopping so we'll have it before the end of the week.. Thanks

The crockpot makes great chicken tacos.

4 chicken breasts
1 cup chicken broth
1 package of taco seasoning

Place everything in crockpot and cook 6-8 hours.
Shred and they are perfect for tacos!!

I made this one last night and it was a hit!! Super easy and yummy!! :love:

I'll be making this this week. It's my take on the ever popular taco casserole:

Ingredients:

1 lb ground beef (or chicken or turkey)
1 box Mexican rice
Taco seasoning
Can of Rotel tomatoes
Cheddar cheese

I cook the rice and brown the meat with the taco seasoning. Then in a casserole dish I first layer the rice, then the Rotel spicy tomatoes, then the meat and top it all with the cheese. I bake it at 400 for about 15-20 minutes, just till the cheese melts. This is very good topped with some shredded lettuce and sour cream, and voila! It's very yummy.

I reread many of the posts on this revived thread from last winter hoping to find some healthy casserole or crockpot recipes and have to say that although these all sound really good, they are soooooo unhealthy! I can't eat this way with all of the ground beef and cheese. I don't know how people can eat this way because if I did, I would blow up like a balloon and so would my family. We try to eat healthy and yes it is hard to find good things that the kids will like and that are easy to make. My time is so limited in the evenings because DD has skating lessons after school and by the time we get home everyone is starving. So, crockpot ideas would be totally awesome if I could find some healthy ones. I did see one for chicken tacos that sounds promising.

Anyone have anything healthy to post that is quick and easy or could be made in the crockpot? I'm interested in low fat and more proteind (chicken breast stuff).

:)
I did see one for chicken tacos that sounds promising.

Anyone have anything healthy to post that is quick and easy or could be made in the crockpot? I'm interested in low fat and more proteind (chicken breast stuff).

To the chicken one, I typically add a can of diced tomatoes and a can or two of black beans (to add some more protein and fiber). Sometimes I will also add a cup of rice (you could even do brown rice). Served on whole wheat tortillas it ends up being pretty healthy and extremely easy! I even enjoy it just plain (not on a tortilla).

Another idea is chicken chili made in the crock pot - pretty much any chili recipe will do - just make sure to add lots of beans for protein and fiber.

Hope that helps a little!

This is my son's fave:

2 bags of Boil n Bag Brown rice
1 can Healthy Harvest Cream of Mushroom Soup
1 can Low Fat Cheddar Cheese soup
Half a bag of frozen broccoli
Cup of crushed cheese crackers

Prepare the rice and empty one bag into casserole dish. Layer half of the broccoli and half of each can of soup. Empty next bag, add the rest of the broccoli and the rest of the soups. Stir. Top with crushed crackers.

Bake in 450 degree oven for about 30 minutes.

It's the one way I can get my son to eat broccoli. He loves it so much he will SNEAK it!!

Have you tried my chicken recipe with the catalina dressing, apricot preserves and onion soup mix? I use light dressing and the polaner all fruit so it is pretty healthy.

With other recipes for the crockpot, alot of the time I will just throw in chicken, pork or beef and make up my own sauce and use the lower sodium and fat cream of soups, salsas, tomato sauce.

There also is a crock pot thread started on the community board.

Hope this helps! :)

I reread many of the posts on this revived thread from last winter hoping to find some healthy casserole or crockpot recipes and have to say that although these all sound really good, they are soooooo unhealthy! I can't eat this way with all of the ground beef and cheese. I don't know how people can eat this way because if I did, I would blow up like a balloon and so would my family. We try to eat healthy and yes it is hard to find good things that the kids will like and that are easy to make. My time is so limited in the evenings because DD has skating lessons after school and by the time we get home everyone is starving. So, crockpot ideas would be totally awesome if I could find some healthy ones. I did see one for chicken tacos that sounds promising.

I know what you mean. I even posted on this thread earlier, but we no longer eat like that anymore. We have cut sodium, HF corn syrup, hydrogenated oils and most red meat from our diet and I need healthier recipes too! I got a couple of cookbooks and went to different grocery stores in search of healthy food! I am going on a heart healthy grocery store tour tonight so I hope to get some new ideas to share! I always thought we ate pretty well until I started reading labels. Even no fat things have HF corn syrup in them!!

Great idea but not very likely. This thread is called "cheap and easy" casseroles and "cheap and easy" do not often go with healthy unfortunately.

We also try to cook healthy, but in my family of 3 men, it is not absolute. Quick, easy and good casseroles mostly involve some sort of cheese or cream soup which automatically push it into the unhealthy realm.

I too would like some healthy crock pot recipes that are good, and so far only have a couple. I do however have LOADS of FANTASTIC casserole recipes that unfortunately require them to be served with an extra artery. Oh well, get the defibrulator (sp?) ready and load me up some cheesy greasy casseroles:lmao:

Quick, easy and good casseroles mostly involve some sort of cheese or cream soup which automatically push it into the unhealthy realm.

I disagree. Cheese is unhealthy? I figure it's added calcium. And 1 cream soup spread out in a whole dish is not like what's on the label for a few servings.

I consider what you are pouring it over to be more of an issue. And I guess it depends on if you are watching your weight or cholesterol. But if you are otherwise healthy I don't see it as "bad". Especially if your casserole has lean meats and veggies that are made more appealing.

I disagree. Cheese is unhealthy? I figure it's added calcium. And 1 cream soup spread out in a whole dish is not like what's on the label for a few servings.I

Hmmmm...added calcium, definitely...healthy?..definitely not. Cheese while loaded with calcium and vitamins is also LOADED with fat. I guess if you use the no fat cheese (that doesn't melt and tastes like a tire) that would be ok. :lmao: Oh well, different strokes for different folks.:thumbsup2

This thread is called "cheap and easy" casseroles and "cheap and easy" do not often go with healthy unfortunately.

I thought the same thing. Eating healthily is not a cheap proposition. :(

I guess it depends on if you are watching your weight or cholesterol. But if you are otherwise healthy I don't see it as "bad". Especially if your casserole has lean meats and veggies that are made more appealing.

GMTA because I thought the same thing about this as well. No one is forcing anyone to use any of these recipes. They are here for the taking - or the leaving. But in the end, any of these quick cheap meals could fit into most people's diets, if eaten occasionally. "All things in moderation." they say.

Oh well, different strokes for different folks.:thumbsup2

Ain't that the truth. Wish that EVERYONE felt that way. :)

Oops. Didn't mean at all to stir up a bee's nest. Lots of these ideas sound really tasty and I wish I could eat this way, but can't. Maybe there just isn't much out there that is easy and cheap if you want to eat healthy. I freak out at the stuff I see in people's grocery carts. As they say, "A moment on the lips, a lifetime on the hips." I know there are probably lots of young slender people here in their 20s and 30s but it's hard as heck to keep your shape when you are in your 40s. I did find a couple of things here that I can make or play around with.

Moderation is the key. Yes, if you made one of these recipes every single night you might have a problem, or a stroke :rotfl2:

Now, let's get back to CHEAP AND EASY CASSEROLE'S shall we??

P.S. You will be so proud of me! I hauled out, dusted off and used the crock pot last night. Just tossed in boneless/skinless chicken breasts and a jar of salsa = yummy shredded chicken soft tacos the next day.

I do however have LOADS of FANTASTIC casserole recipes that unfortunately require them to be served with an extra artery.

I guess if you use the no fat cheese (that doesn't melt and tastes like a tire)

LOL!:rotfl2: I serve crock-pot meals at least once a week to my family of 4 and we're still pretty healthy (according to lab tests) and average weight (except for DH, but that's the beer). So don't be scared off by these recipes, I agree, moderation is the key.~:)~

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter