Cheating on Mickey with Harry Part 1

Fantasmic23

A little nonsense now and then is relished by the
Since February 2008, we've been heading down to WDW every year. After we returned from every trip, a certain co-worker of my husband's always said: "You have got to go to Universal the next time you head down to Florida." My husband would always smile and nod politely, never admitting that his loyalties laid with the Mouse.

Yet, it was the same old thing as soon as we approached the Orlando area: My kids would squeal with delight at the billboards featuring Spider Man, Shrek and Jimmy Neutron. I would always have to explain, "That's at Universal; We're going to Disney." A chorus of disappointed, "Oh, man!"'s would always follow and even my husband would gaze wistfully at Spidey as he drove on down the line. Over the years, I had pointed out several times that we're movie buffs ... Movie die-hards. We watch "Jaws" over and over again (In fact, the only reason why my husband wanted to see Martha's Vineyard was because "Jaws" was filmed there) and the kids can recite the lines from the "Shrek" movies verbatim. We owe it to ourselves to at least go to Universal once, right? No. My husband's mouth would always set in a tight, firm line. He worshipped at the altar of Walt Disney ... And nowhere else.

Come mid-March 2011, my husband received word that he had some unexpected vacation time coming to him shortly before Easter. The kids would be off, too, for April break. "Pick somewhere", my husband tempted me. My suggestion of Busch Gardens was shot down. As was King's Dominion (I was selecting places that we had driven past on previous Disney trips). Niagara Falls was out as was Lancaster County, PA. Maine? No. New Hampshire? No. Vermont? No. I was running out of states. Just for fun, I casually mentioned Florida and the "U' word. My husband literally froze. "Well," I began gently, "It wouldn't be cheating on Disney since we'll be there in late November. Why don't we just see what it's all about and if we don't like it, we'll never go there again."

My husband quickly agreed but there was one catch: I had to plan the trip and I had to find a deal. Okay. I immediately got to work and visited the Universal website. There was a good deal but it involved ... He Whose Name Shall Never Be Spoken In Our House. Yep. Potter. It was a good deal, though: Free breakfast at the Three Broomsticks, early admission into the WWOHP and I also found a hotel that gave us the fourth night free. I quickly booked, forked over a deposit and chewed on my fingernails.

Now, we were not Potter fans. Sure, I had bought the first book (Stiff and unread) and I had bought the first film (Unopened, still wrapped in plastic). Whenever I mentioned that we should give the film a whirl, my husband waved the thought away and reached for one of the Pirates of the Carib movies. The kids would always be in hysterics over this "Harry Potter Puppet Pals" video on YouTube, but would always look away in disgust anytime I suggested we watch the film or read the books. What was it about Potter that made everyone in the house so hostile?

So, we now had a solid month before our Universal trip. I did what I do to prepare before any trip: I watch movies. I started organizing "Universal Movie Nights" and we sat through the usual suspects: "Jaws" (again), "Shrek", "The Mummy", "Men in Black", "The Simpsons Movie", "Twister", E.T." Everyone's excitement about our upcoming trip was building, but I knew there was a piece of the puzzle still missing.

One horrible, rainy day however, I made myself a cup of tea, grabbed a few cookies and reached for "Harry Potter and the Sorcerer's Stone" on a whim. My husband was at work, the kids were locked in a room trying to teach our Siberian Husky how to talk and I could watch in secret. So ... I watched. The tea quickly became cold and the cookies went uneaten as I delved into the world of Harry Potter ... And loved it. The kids joined me shortly, a bit concerned that my attention was elsewhere (i.e. I didn't care that they had gotten the dog to say "I love you"). They surrendered and sat down on the couch and began to laugh when Ron began making fun of Hermione: "It's not LeviOsa, it's LevioSA ..." "Rewind that!" they kept telling me. I rewound all the way to the beginning and they, too, sat on the couch captivated. I knew then that my husband would like the movie. He would love it, I was certain of it. Like all of his favorite movie series before (Indiana Jones, Lord of the Rings, Star Wars, The Matrix and his token POTC), I knew he would be engrossed.

My husband came home later that night and knew something was up. My son was darting around the house (Using a stick for wand) humming Hedwig's Theme and my daughter was in the corner reading the first book. I was watching "Dogma" since seeing Alan Rickman had made me crave another one of his films.

"I finally watched 'Harry Potter' today," I admitted a bit sheepishly. "The kids did, too, and we all loved it. I think you'll really like it. You just have to give it a chance." When I grabbed the cars keys and my husband asked where I was going, I said, "To Blockbuster to get the other films."

I'VE UPDATED! THANK YOU SO MUCH FOR YOUR PATIENCE! PLEASE SCROLL THROUGH THE THREAD FOR MORE. :)

Please try to watch all the movies:). If you liked the first, the others are just as delightful. I loved Goblet of Fire best, but my husband prefers Half-Blood Prince.

Saturday, April 16th, 2011:

Well, it was finally here. The day we would begin our journey to Florida, ultimately ending up at Universal. In the weeks that followed my first viewing of Harry Potter and the Sorcerer's Stone, my husband and I got into Potter in a BIG WAY. As I suspected, my husband loved all of the films. He just needed to give them a chance. After I returned from Blockbuster that night with The Chamber of Secrets and The Prisoner of Azkaban, we burned the midnight oil and watched the first three films. The next day, exhausted yet exhilerated, my husband went to Walmart and bought all of the films minus Deathly Hallows Part 1. Thank you, Walmart, for your economy-friendly prices! The day that Deathly Hallows was released on DVD, I all but ran to the store and splurged ($19.99).

We began to eat, breathe and live Harry Potter. We discussed butterbeer and dememtors and Muggles. We compared Ron Weasley's fear of spiders to Indy's fear of snakes. I hauled out my old VHS copy of "The Worst Witch", a sort of female version of Harry Potter, made in the mid-1980's. We discussed Snape. What was up with him? Needless to say, we were more than excited for our trip to Universal. Strangely though, the kids just weren't feeling our Potter enthusiasm. They began teasing us: "I can't believe you would do this to Mickey! Don't you love him anymore?"

Since my husband works in midtown Manhattan, the plan was for the kids and I to take the train into the city where we would meet him at his building, then continue on to New Jersey to stay with relatives overnight (My husband drove the car, all packed, into the city that morning). My mother gave us a ride to the train station, apologizing that we couldn't wait in her car because she had to take my grandmother to the hairdresser. On a regular April afternoon, this would have been fine. But it wasn't a regular April afternoon in Connecticut. It was freezing ... More like February than April. The kids and I sat while the wind whipped and howled around us, our teeth chattering. Florida, Florida, Florida ... I kept repeating in my head.

Awesome report. You have me engrossed!popcorn::

I am a huge Potter fan. I love when others "come to the dark side" :woohoo:

One horrible, rainy day however, I made myself a cup of tea, grabbed a few cookies and reached for "Harry Potter and the Sorcerer's Stone" on a whim. My husband was at work, the kids were locked in a room trying to teach our Siberian Husky how to talk and I could watch in secret. So ... I watched. The tea quickly became cold and the cookies went uneaten as I delved into the world of Harry Potter ... And loved it. The kids joined me shortly, a bit concerned that my attention was elsewhere (i.e. I didn't care that they had gotten the dog to say "I love you"). They surrendered and sat down on the couch and began to laugh when Ron began making fun of Hermione: "It's not LeviOsa, it's LevioSA ..." "Rewind that!" they kept telling me. I rewound all the way to the beginning and they, too, sat on the couch captivated. I knew then that my husband would like the movie. He would love it, I was certain of it. Like all of his favorite movie series before (Indiana Jones, Lord of the Rings, Star Wars, The Matrix and his token POTC), I knew he would be engrossed.
"

Seems odd her husband is fan of all that fantasy/sci-fi adn never bothered with Potter. :confused3

Glad to hear your daughter read at least the first book. As with all things the books are better than the films. Hope you give them a try too. :)

Hope you loved the park...I did and will be back soon. :wizard:

can't wait to read more popcorn::

Your husband and I are kindred spirits. This sounds like a prelude to my family's first Universal vacation last fall. I look forward to reading the next installment.

Like I told another trip reporter, I pick great reports that I have to wait forever for an update.:hourglass

I'm sitting on the edge of my chair:rolleyes1

i'm here reading.
i remember your name from the boards on the darkside when you needed info.

sounds like it was a fun trip afterall and you are just getting into the report.

so far it sounds like the report will have a happy ending!

I'm hooked. Can't wait to hear how your trip went and your review of WWOHP. We haven't been yet, but keep thinking about it.

just wandered over from the DW trip reports - my husband is Disney resistant and my 17 y.o. son isn't thrilled when I suggest a trip, BUT, thought with the new HP attraction I might get them onboard for a trip to Universal. I also saw those vacation packages and am going to book one, just in case I can get them to agree to go. Going back to catch up on your report!

Can't wait to hear the rest!

Great report - nice that you're loving HP (said from a family of HP lovers that went in April and are planning another trip for either Nov. or next March :cool1:

I am leaving for Universal in two months....I am so melancholy about the trip. How can I enter the state of Florida and not visit my Boo (Mickey)? I love your trip report and it has motivated me to focus on the fun i'll be having with Harry....despite cheating on Mickey. I'm gonna take your tip about watching the movies before we go. Great idea. Can't wait to read the next installment.

popcorn::

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter