Check in?

ClaraOswald

DIS Veteran
I made a reservation for January at BRV. It says I can already do online check-in. So it's really okay to check in this many months in advance? Is that what people typically do?

What happens if something comes up and we need to change our trip?

I made a reservation for January at BRV. It says I can already do online check-in. So it's really okay to check in this many months in advance? Is that what people typically do?

I am already checked in for my March 2025 WDW reservations…..

The check in doesn't affect modifications/cancellations. There's really not much to it. No advantage/disadvantage of waiting or doing it early.

The only thing that some say might affect is if you make a room request with member services and then make a request during the check in, it might override your previous request.

I do it early so it’s done and I know the CC information for charging is set up and that I know I have activated the room ready texts.

No advantage or disadvantage to doing it.

I like to do it early too, because it makes me feel that the trip is getting closer! As above, it doesn’t affect modifications or cancellations. All it does is get the CC linked and PINs assigned and then allow us to get push/text notifications of our room number on checkin day. And I can indicate roughly what time we expect to arrive.

I always leave the room request section blank. If I have requests, I email or chat with MS.

I always wait until much closer to our actual travel dates. I’ve had to change credit card information because the expiration date and security code changed in the interim between booking and traveling.

Should I do my room request via chat BEFORE doing check-in or does that not make any difference either?

Although my stay was a cash stay I thought I’d chime in that I checked in online and was able to completely change my reservation even though I already checked in. I moved from DLH to VDH.

That doesn't make any difference either. As you know, you'll be submitting your request to DVC MS. Online checkin goes to MDE (WDW Resorts), not DVC.
I’ve actually never checked in via MS, is it more advantageous do it that way? Have you found your requests are better fulfilled?

I’ve actually never checked in via MS, is it more advantageous do it that way? Have you found your requests are better fulfilled?
You do check in via the MDE site not through MS. The MDE online check-in system has a page where you can list room requests. It is generally better to ignore that request page and put your room requests in via contacting MS (phone, chat or email). The issue is not whether it is more likely you will get the request granted, but the fact that you can make far more different requests through MS than those allowed on the request page provided with the online check-in system, a number of which are ridiculous. Example: at Kidani, the MDE online check-in system allows you to choose near an elevator but does not allow you to say which elevator (they have names, like Rafiki and Timon) There are three elevators along each wing, and unless you can name the elevator you want, a near elevator request can be met by putting you anywhere in the building. Similaily at Jambo, the online system allows you to request high floor, a completely pointless request for DVC since all DVC rooms are on the fifth floor, except for club level on the sixth floor.

Doesn't the resort (My Disney Experience) handle room assignments?
Yes, but that has no bearing on whether to submit requests before or after doing online checkin, which is the question I was answering. As PPs state above, for a DVC points reservation your request is better made through MS, with the request section of online checkin being left blank, so that you can make a more relevant and specific request.

I always do my online check in about 2-3 weeks before arriving. While I could do it sooner, I like to wait until a bit closer to the travel date.

You do check in via the MDE site not through MS. The MDE online check-in system has a page where you can list room requests. It is generally better to ignore that request page and put your room requests in via contacting MS (phone, chat or email). The issue is not whether it is more likely you will get the request granted, but the fact that you can make far more different requests through MS than those allowed on the request page provided with the online check-in system, a number of which are ridiculous. Example: at Kidani, the MDE online check-in system allows you to choose near an elevator but does not allow you to say which elevator (they have names, like Rafiki and Timon) There are three elevators along each wing, and unless you can name the elevator you want, a near elevator request can be met by putting you anywhere in the building. Similaily at Jambo, the online system allows you to request high floor, a completely pointless request for DVC since all DVC rooms are on the fifth floor, except for club level on the sixth floor.
Ahh yes, sorry I misspoke saying check-in v. room request. Thanks for the detailed explanation. Room requests through MS aren’t any more of a guarantee than a room request through MDE, you can just be more specific with the request, got it!

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter