Chef Art Smith's Homecoming

MassJester

DIS Veteran
DIS Lifetime Sponsor
I've been there a few times, and have enjoyed the experiences, but recently heard about food quality problems. Anyone have a recent experience?

I've never liked it, and have given it a couple of chances. If you liked it before, you'll probably still like it.

Ive been 3 times and liked it so much the first 2 that I raved about it to my aunt and we made a reservation for our trip. We went and it was meh, ok, but not out of this world. My aunt was like I dont get what you were raving about... lol

My daughter came with me those first 2 times and she took a friend of her own for her 3rd time and she said the same as me and her friend was not impressed.

So I guess its good, but its not a must do for us anymore.

We loved it when it first opened. Had a couple of mediocre visits in the years after so we stopped going. Gave it one last chance this past January and it’s still a no go for us. Your concerns about food quality are valid.

We went in march of ‘22, best fried chicken we’d ever had, delicious donuts, good southern Mac and cheese.

Returned this past March and nothing seemed the same. It was shocking, especially given how high we were on it the first time.

We have gone for drinks and apps on check in day of most of our stays. We haven’t had a full meal in quite a while, so when I had an opportunity to take a work friend on a trip I was excited. I talked up all the drinks and apps I’ve enjoyed on our 2 hour journey to the Springs. We got there and ordered our food, his showed up with a hair in it. They didn’t apologize but did remake the dish. When the bill came to the table they had charged us twice for his meal. Again they corrected the issue without an apology. We haven’t been back. Not saying we won’t go back but we’ve found other good places to start our trip. Bar Riva and Sanaa have been our choices so far.

This our favorite spot at WDW! Ate there last month, was delicious as always.:)

We have been here 2 times this year July and September, both times the meal was great as well as the service, it has become one of our favorite places to eat in Disney

Food was good, but I was honestly expecting more based on how everyone seemed to rave about it. Service was quite bad, which may not be the norm. I wouldn't go out of my way to eat there, but would likely go for dinner again if at DS.

It’s Cracker Barrel for the vacationer, those who don’t want to eat anything they’re not used to.
We only ever eat at Cracker Barrel on trips/vacation. It's always located on the outskirts of town and is pretty far from where we live in town. Many international visitors would find Homecoming unique. Southern cooking is specific to the Southern US, so even people from other parts of the US may find it different than their normal fare.

We only ever eat at Cracker Barrel on trips/vacation. It's always located on the outskirts of town and is pretty far from where we live in town. Many international visitors would find Homecoming unique. Southern cooking is specific to the Southern US, so even people from other parts of the US may find it different than their normal fare.
Then they should save their money and go to Cracker Barrel. :laughing:

Unless something has radically changed since our last stop there in April comparing Cracker Barrel to Homecomin is like comparing PF Chang's to Morimoto Asia. Yes the style of food is similar but the quality and execution is vastly different.

Honestly I think it’s like most things.

The first time you have it you’re not sure what to expect. Typically, restaurants have a very difficult time hitting that high bar each and every time. Thus, you get the “food downhill” narrative at a lot of places.

Our whole family ate there this past June and my DH just ate there in October. Both meals were good, as has always been the case for us. Only one server issue was my mac & cheese was forgotten, but another server brought it out about 5 minutes later. It is my favorite place for salads.

Not that recent. I went last fall and enjoyed the chicken fried steak. Not the best I've ever had, but it was good and the portion was huge. I would definitely go back and try something else.

Unless something has radically changed since our last stop there in April comparing Cracker Barrel to Homecomin is like comparing PF Chang's to Morimoto Asia. Yes the style of food is similar but the quality and execution is vastly different.
Your analogy is more spot-on than you think, though I don't think you meant it that way.

I just ate there on Saturday for brunch. We were 15 minutes late for our reservation and had to wait 30 minutes to be seated. My sister got the French Toast and really enjoyed it. My dad got the chicken sandwich and I got their version of eggs benedict. Both our chicken was extremely dry. I got a side of potatoes and they were room temperature. Service wasn't great- we never ended up getting refills on our waters. When we left, we noticed a ton of food that was pre-made and seemed to be waiting for someone to order. I guess that's why our chicken wasn't great. We had brunch here in Nov 2021 that was awful so was hoping it would be better this trip, but sadly wasn't!

I went yesterday and the only thing that tasted different to me was the mac and cheese. It tasted worse, like more artificial? My dad who also had it said the same thing. Everything else was the same and service was great. I like how big the portions are - just had my leftovers for lunch!

In terms of Disney Springs restaurants Jaleo is significantly better but I do enjoy eating at Homecoming occasionally.

I went yesterday and the only thing that tasted different to me was the mac and cheese. It tasted worse, like more artificial? My dad who also had it said the same thing. Everything else was the same and service was great. I like how big the portions are - just had my leftovers for lunch!

In terms of Disney Springs restaurants Jaleo is significantly better but I do enjoy eating at Homecoming occasionally.

Agree with this. Both the mac n cheese and mashed potatoes seemed different, not for the better, in September. We like Homecomin’ and will return in another trip or two. But Jaleo was fantastic!

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter