Chef Art Smith's Homecoming

We went for lunch a few days ago and it was just alright. We ordered the famous fried chicken, mac n cheese, and shared the fried chicken salad. The chicken was really dry and didn't have much taste to it. The mac n cheese was room temp and didn't have much depth of flavor. Our server was very attentive though!

Our previous visit was back in 2021 with the entire family. Everyone really loved the food. The chicken was juicy and nicely seasoned. It was also when they had the gator bites (RIP). We probably won't be returning for a few years and give some other restaurants a try. Hopefully by then, things will get better.

You guys are killing me. I was all excited to try Homecoming and was giving up our annual Boathouse ressie for it but now I got a BH ressie as a backup and I'm interrogating hubbie and the kids about their preference.

So many people had such rave reviews about Homecoming, even one of the CMs I spoke to said it was her only go to at DS. Any input on BH vs. Homecoming that might help me make up my mind? I love BH, but we did want to try something new for a change. We've done Morimoto and Jaleo and like both. Jaleo had a different menu last year that I liked better than the current one and since we only have 1 day in DS, it's now down to BH or Homecoming. Any input would be appreciated. I did see the new non-alcoholic duckie dessert which was cool despite the poison blue coloring in the Jello LOL.

Last edited:
You guys are killing me. I was all excited to try Homecoming and was giving up our annual Boathouse ressie for it but now I got a BH ressie as a backup and I'm interrogating hubbie and the kids about their preference.

So many people had such rave reviews about Homecoming, even one of the CMs I spoke to said it was her only go to at DS. Any input on BH vs. Homecoming that might help me make up my mind? I love BH, but we did want to try something new for a change. We've done Morimoto and Jaleo and like both. Jaleo had a different menu last year that I liked better than the current one and since we only have 1 day in DS, it's now down to BH or Homecoming. Any input would be appreciated. I did see the new non-alcoholic duckie dessert which was cool despite the poison blue coloring in the Jello LOL.
We didn’t like Boathouse but have enjoyed Homecoming every time we have been. It has been a couple of years since we have eaten there though. Son decided he didn’t like it, but he’s the pickiest eater.

We really enjoy Boathouse - never had a bad meal or cocktail there. I’ve given HC three chances, and it just doesn’t do it for me, although the cocktails are nice. The mac and cheese tasted like nothing, very pasty, and the chicken was greasy (and not in a good way). If you have anyone in your family who is a country-style cook, you’ve likely eaten better food. If you’ve never had that type of food, I can understand saying it’s okay. I really wanted to like it, but the mac and cheese in AK is leagues above HC.

Of your BOATHOUSE/Jaleo/Morimoto people, I don’t think Homecomin’ is going to satisfy you. It’s mostly for unadventurous types who don’t like to stray too far from their comfort zone.

Have you tried Raglan Road? It’s consistently excellent, and fun to boot. Wine Bar George is also a good choice for those who want more eclectic and great quality eats.

Hmmm....lots of good info. So I honestly didn't realize Homecoming was no where near on par with BH, Morimoto or Jaleo. I didn't really analyze prices, not that prices are the only evidence, but I thought taste wise, it was up there regardless of the type of food (comfort southern food).

I think one trip we stopped at a BBQ place that Anthony Bourdain frequented and that was right up there with some of our Signature dining meals at Disney because it was just THAAT good, despite being 1/3 of the price.

Now, don't get me wrong, I love really good quality food. Chinatown is no Morimoto, but there is only one place I can get crabs with black bean sauce, Chinese style....so whether or not they are of the caliber of Chef Morimoto and while the place may not be fancy, to me really good food is really good food and it can be anywhere.

What concerns me is people commenting on a decline in the quality. I have dined in many places in Disney post covid and there are differences, no doubt. There were shortages of ketchup when we were there at one point and we pre-ordered the baked Alaska on our last trip and it was half the size it was pre-covid, so things are changing.

I have eaten at Raglan Road and from what I recall, we loved the atmosphere, we enjoyed our food but it didn't bump out the Boathouse for us. We're big seafood eaters and we don't get great seafood at home, unless we cook it ourselves which we do. I am also a sucker for the lobster bisque and the lobster roll is one of the better ones on property. Do we make lobster at home, yes, but we seldom make our own lobster rolls.

We do also come from families of chefs but we are not overly spoiled we just LOOOVE food and I think we go to Disney to eat as much as we do to be entertained and ride rides and our kids are the same.

Even when they were little we tried having them share sushi appetizers at Cali Grill and forks almost went flying! However, my 2nd youngest could just go to Cali Grill for their mac & cheese. It is SO awesome, I almost stole it from her over some of the 50th anniversary dishes!

Hmmm...I think I'm starting to lean toward the Boathouse. Sounds like we can't really go wrong with the quality there as it has always been rather consistent whereas there seem to be more complaints over that lately at Homecoming, but those could be just the people who complain that are louder...ugh....you can tell what a serious decision this is for me huh?

Hmmm....lots of good info. So I honestly didn't realize Homecoming was no where near on par with BH, Morimoto or Jaleo. I didn't really analyze prices, not that prices are the only evidence, but I thought taste wise, it was up there regardless of the type of food (comfort southern food).

I think one trip we stopped at a BBQ place that Anthony Bourdain frequented and that was right up there with some of our Signature dining meals at Disney because it was just THAAT good, despite being 1/3 of the price.

Now, don't get me wrong, I love really good quality food. Chinatown is no Morimoto, but there is only one place I can get crabs with black bean sauce, Chinese style....so whether or not they are of the caliber of Chef Morimoto and while the place may not be fancy, to me really good food is really good food and it can be anywhere.

What concerns me is people commenting on a decline in the quality. I have dined in many places in Disney post covid and there are differences, no doubt. There were shortages of ketchup when we were there at one point and we pre-ordered the baked Alaska on our last trip and it was half the size it was pre-covid, so things are changing.

I have eaten at Raglan Road and from what I recall, we loved the atmosphere, we enjoyed our food but it didn't bump out the Boathouse for us. We're big seafood eaters and we don't get great seafood at home, unless we cook it ourselves which we do. I am also a sucker for the lobster bisque and the lobster roll is one of the better ones on property. Do we make lobster at home, yes, but we seldom make our own lobster rolls.

We do also come from families of chefs but we are not overly spoiled we just LOOOVE food and I think we go to Disney to eat as much as we do to be entertained and ride rides and our kids are the same.

Even when they were little we tried having them share sushi appetizers at Cali Grill and forks almost went flying! However, my 2nd youngest could just go to Cali Grill for their mac & cheese. It is SO awesome, I almost stole it from her over some of the 50th anniversary dishes!

Hmmm...I think I'm starting to lean toward the Boathouse. Sounds like we can't really go wrong with the quality there as it has always been rather consistent whereas there seem to be more complaints over that lately at Homecoming, but those could be just the people who complain that are louder...ugh....you can tell what a serious decision this is for me huh?
I believe I responded upthread about not planning to go back to Homecomin’ after previously loving it. I just wanted to add since you mentioned Raglan Road. We have been to both Raglan Road and the Boathouse in the past 6 months and had great experiences there. I think you leaning towards the Boathouse is the right move.

We've tried Homecomin' and it's fine, just fine.

We're in the south, though, where we can find better chicken in gas station kitchens.

Some of these restaurants, Homecomin', Boathouse, etc, are not a lot different than restaurants we go to at home, though with higher prices and smaller portions.

At Disney we are usually concentrating on restaurant types that we are not frequenting at home.

We prefer places that either have food a little different than our normal, or, have a theme that's different.

The hype surrounding some of these places makes us go for FOMO, but they turn into one and dones.

The hype surrounding some of these places makes us go for FOMO, but they turn into one and dones.
This describes a great many WDW restaurants. At least FOMO spreads out the demand so that the really good places are easier to visit.

Our whole family ate there this past June and my DH just ate there in October. Both meals were good, as has always been the case for us. Only one server issue was my mac & cheese was forgotten, but another server brought it out about 5 minutes later. It is my favorite place for salads.
Salads? why? I'm a salad eater and I'm looking for good onsite places

Thus why Jaleo is a super easy ADR to get and it's always available on OpenTable...
It may be the most seriously good place in the World for the World, for me, at least. It's definitely not popular among the gummy cookie-loving hordes. Wine Bar George is up there too.

Chef Art Smith's was a one and done for us. Yes it was delicious - but we're just not accustomed to eating such large portions of food. Unforunately we ended up wasting a lot. *Couldn't bring it with us with switching resorts and other dining reservations. It just didn't live up to the hype for us. :confused3 I would give it a try at least once. You can saddle up to the bar if you're unable to get reservations. A lot of yummy food is on the bar menu too!

We never miss out on a chance to go to Homecomin'. It's our favorite DS spot.

On the other hand, Win Bar George was a one and done. Blech.

Salads? why? I'm a salad eater and I'm looking for good onsite places
It does only have three salads listed on their menu, but I always order the Fried Chicken Salad, sub out grilled chicken and add avocado. It is mixed greens rather than just iceberg or romaine. It is a bit of a pain to get over to Disney Springs, but we always go once per trip so I can get their salad and the hubby likes their.....well, he likes everything there, ha!

It's so interesting that some people could love a restaurant while others think it stinks. There are so many variables can influence someone's experience.

Supply chain issues may have forced them to sub inferior items
They may have lost kitchen staff and had to replace them with less qualified employees
It may be incredibly busy and the food was rushed and details missed that normally wouldn't be at a slower time.
Having an inattentive or rude server

It really is a tough business. While I try not to let one bad experience prevent me from going back to an otherwise highly rated restaurant I can understand why some people feel differently., especially at a place like Disney with so many options.

It's so interesting that some people could love a restaurant while others think it stinks. There are so many variables can influence someone's experience.

Supply chain issues may have forced them to sub inferior items
They may have lost kitchen staff and had to replace them with less qualified employees
It may be incredibly busy and the food was rushed and details missed that normally wouldn't be at a slower time.
Having an inattentive or rude server

It really is a tough business. While I try not to let one bad experience prevent me from going back to an otherwise highly rated restaurant I can understand why some people feel differently., especially at a place like Disney with so many options.
it's very simple. food is a very personal experience. it's pretty much why I tell people places I like and say have at it on your own.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter