Chicago Marathon 2018 (Oct 7th) DIS Meet Race!

Chicago Runners! I downloaded the app so that I can track/stalk people. Feel free to share your bib numbers if you want me to keep track of how you're doing! (If I'm around, I'm also happy to post updates here so that those spectators who don't want to download the app or use other tracking can see how people are doing!
I already have @DopeyBadger, @roxymama, and @ZellyB (and @Chris-Mo) because I know you guys's real names :)

I can't wait to see everyone rock this marathon and get some awesome new PRs!

Chicago Runners! I downloaded the app so that I can track/stalk people. Feel free to share your bib numbers if you want me to keep track of how you're doing! (If I'm around, I'm also happy to post updates here so that those spectators who don't want to download the app or use other tracking can see how people are doing!
I already have @DopeyBadger, @roxymama, and @ZellyB (and @Chris-Mo) because I know you guys's real names :)

Yay for a virtual cheering squad!

I think the prize for huge effort/tiny medal has to go to the Comrades Marathon (@FFigawi can confirm, as he's got at least two of them). I remember when I first saw a picture of it - 56 miles for that tiny thing?!?

Oh snap! I did not know there was an app! (I'm a poet and didn't know it). Going to download immediately for marathon stalking and virtual cheering!

Thank you, @SarahDisney! My bib# is 35213 and I’m shooting for a sub-4:00 time, but anything under 4:20 nets me a new PR. Fingers crossed!

We finally made our ressie for Saturday dinner. Sienna Tavern at 5pm. Fabio from top chef. Pasta or small plates. I've never been, but roxyhubby loves it. I can already taste the nervous energy!!

@cburnett11 @opusone @FFigawi @BikeFan i watched the inspirational video before bed last night, not a good idea, I went into freak out mode. The course looks really crowded. I normally run out of coral C for Disney and the crowding is not too bad. This looks terrifying to me. I am running out of F so first coral of wave 2. Will the course be more crowded than Disney? Will it spread out a bit? Is it crowded all 26.2 mikes?

Thanks all for the tip on the blue line. I had some nervous issues last nigh, hoping I can put it behind me and get the appropriate rest. Keep reminding myself that this is not my only chance to try the BQ. It can happen in another marathon, I just want it to be this one :)

@cburnett11 @opusone @FFigawi @BikeFan i watched the inspirational video before bed last night, not a good idea, I went into freak out mode. The course looks really crowded. I normally run out of coral C for Disney and the crowding is not too bad. This looks terrifying to me. I am running out of F so first coral of wave 2. Will the course be more crowded than Disney? Will it spread out a bit? Is it crowded all 26.2 mikes?

Thanks all for the tip on the blue line. I had some nervous issues last nigh, hoping I can put it behind me and get the appropriate rest. Keep reminding myself that this is not my only chance to try the BQ. It can happen in another marathon, I just want it to be this one :)

I only have experience with B Corral, which is where I started last year. The first two miles or so were somewhat tight, but it spread out quickly and by Mile 5 or so I was able to run my own race. I remember the course being fairly wide on most sections, so crowding wasn't really an issue.

Looking at the website, there's a 3:50 pace group starting in Corral F. You might want to go with them, or at least see if the pace leader is at the expo and talk to him/her. Usually, the big races like that have good pace leaders who know how to handle the crowds and run a solid race. A crowded start could be a blessing in disguise - it could help you start out at a manageable pace in the first few miles when the excitement may lure you into going out too fast. I would certainly not try to waste too much energy trying to weave through the crowd. The race should open up later on the course.

Keep calm and run strong! Good luck!

Although I haven't ran Chicago I have ran quite a few big races in the city and the head-on angle of many videos and pictures where you can see multiple blocks of runners...it makes it seem way more insanely packed then when you are actually running. Ive ran pieces of the course during other races and it's always been really wide compared to what I've experienced at disney.
I hope that helps.
And yes...a bit of crowding off the start helps not go insane on the pace too early.
And, if it's windy the crowds help!

Will the course be more crowded than Disney? Will it spread out a bit? Is it crowded all 26.2 mikes?

You got good advice above from @BikeFan . The course is wide in most spots. Use any early congestion just to relax, settle down, and get warmed up. The course will open up soon enough and if you have conserved your effort, you should be ready to pass people in open space. I was told it would be really congested when I ran the first time in 2016, and I didn’t find it to be that bad. I’ve been in Coral E for what it’s worth.

Thanks @cburnett11 and @roxymama . I am very glad to hear that, the video just looked insanely crowded the whole time. I know the first few miles are congested but was worried it would be the whole way.

On another note, had to take Mallory to the vet, she has a bad yeast infection in her ears. The good thing is it happened this weekend so able to get her to the vet. On the positive they cleaned her ears good, gave her medicine, and she got a sanitary trim. She is ready for Chicago!

@SarahDisney my bib is 27758. I will take all the virtual cheering I can get. Am going for the magic under 3:50 to BQ. It is a PR and really my first attempt at it after realizing it was possible.

Thank you, @SarahDisney! My bib# is 35213 and I’m shooting for a sub-4:00 time, but anything under 4:20 nets me a new PR. Fingers crossed!

Yay! I'm officially tracking you both, and I'll be virtually cheering for new PRs and BQs all over the place!!

@garneska the course is generally quite wide for most of the race. Like any big city race, it takes a few miles to get everyone spaced out, but you'll still be able to run your pace most of the time.

THE Chicago Marathon Weather Update!

With 8 days to go! The weather forecast using the "Chicago Loop" weather station.

Screen Shot 2018-09-30 at 7.37.27 AM.png

9/27/18 - T+D of around 105, maybe cloudy, maybe rain
9/28/18 - T+D of 100, 26% cloudy, 12% rain, 8 mph NNW wind (At 11 am, T+D is still only 104, and At 1pm, T+D is still only 103).
9/30/18 - T+D of 111, 60% cloudy, 24% rain, 8 mph E wind (At 11am, T+D is 115, and At 1pm, T+D is 120).

Looks like the temps are trending the wrong direction. Still good, but not spectacular. The silver lining is that looking through the entire 10 day forecast it's probably actually the best day.

Not loving that forecast (wish it were a good 10 degrees cooler) but it’s not terrible either. Please no rain though.

Not loving that forecast (wish it were a good 10 degrees cooler) but it’s not terrible either. Please no rain though.

Given the projected heat (relatively speaking), the rain might be a blessing, helping to keep you all cool. I've raced enough in the rain that it doesn't really bother me much anymore. Anytime temps are over 60 or so, I'd happy take a nice cooling rainstorm. Either way, I hope the weather starts trending in a better direction for you all. It was hot last year, and I faded badly. There isn't a whole lot of shade on the later parts of the course.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter