Chicken Fingers and Fries

Thank you everyone for the responses. My boys are young and do have an intolerance to milk. It’s tough enough to not be able to get them milk when we go out and try and feed them something they won’t eat. We will check menus carefully and plan ahead. Can we bring food from a quick service to a table service for them? We definitely don’t want to starve them into submission.

You can, but it's not really encouraged. Just feed them before going to the TS restaurant and let them get dessert while you all eat a meal. That's how we do it with our autistic kids.

Thank you everyone for the responses. My boys are young and do have an intolerance to milk. It’s tough enough to not be able to get them milk when we go out and try and feed them something they won’t eat. We will check menus carefully and plan ahead. Can we bring food from a quick service to a table service for them? We definitely don’t want to starve them into submission.

The problem with bringing food from quick service to a table service is timing. You can wait a bit to be seated after you check in to your table service meal. The kids food could be cold by the time you have a table, unless you get a table and have someone then run and grab them food.

The problem with bringing food from quick service to a table service is timing. You can wait a bit to be seated after you check in to your table service meal. The kids food could be cold by the time you have a table, unless you get a table and have someone then run and grab them food.
Yup this.

I only have the one child and myself so it's easier to plan everything around him but if I had to do this, I'd just feed him first and then get him something to snack on at dinner (dessert is a good idea). But there are SO many disney restaurants hopefully you can find what you are looking for to satisfy everyone. I have never had an issue having too many restaurants that appeals to both of us but my child is not a nuggets/hot dog picky kid... he would eat steak 2 meals a day if I let him (and sometimes I do on vacation) and as someone else mentioned, steak is actually really easy to find on menus at WDW.

Hahaha they are not starving if they have eaten a palm-sized amount of food. That's like half an apple.

Just reminding people that there are a LOT of empty calories to put in your child's face at Disney, and people often forget that kids cannot readily consume the volume of food nor the calories an adult should be. One handful of popcorn can distract a small tummy that it needs to eat a sandwich, especially when, "LOOK KIDS! MICKEY MOUSE is on that parade float!" an hour later you see an exhausted mom glaring at her toddler who won't touch his plate of buffet food because he knows in ten minutes he can sucker Grandma out of some Goldfish crackers she has "just in case".

Don't manipulate them and don't let them manipulate you. As I said, parents provide WHEN and WHAT is being served. Children decide WHAT and HOW MUCH to eat. They can't eat the chicken nuggets if they aren't any to be served. If it's not a mealtime, they shouldn't be eating a snack. vacation or not! Nothing snarls up a vacation more than a child with a disrupted routine to their benefit - you get them back home and it's another battle to reinforce the normal routine again. I'm not well-rested and refreshed after a week of trying to re-set the sleep schedule and arguing about what we don't get when we are not on vacation... I don't wish to make that worse!!! LOL

(disclaimer: I didn't read the whole thread, I started to get crabby)

Gosh, if only it were that easy! "They" say kids won't starve themselves.....I'd like to introduce "them" to my barely 40lb almost 8yo. If it were only as easy as telling him to eat what was in front of him and nothing else. On the flip-side my 17yo was eating sushi by the time he was 6, his biggest complaint was that the kids menus were too boring (not so much at Disney, just in general) and he's looking forward to California Grill, Akershus, and other eclectic restaurants.

OP: look at the menus and see if there are adjustments that can be made, I find most places (especially Disney in my rather limited experience) are willing to adjust things. Our most common meal ordered is noodles with butter, if there's any sort of pasta anywhere on the menu they can usually get us a side with just butter on it. Same with rice. I've also been known to order a grilled cheese sandwich "raw" (just bread and cheese) so he can eat it separately. Many places offer a side of fresh fruit or raw carrots, often it's considered an appetizer or dessert. We don't use the dining plan for our picky one, it's not worth it, we use his credits other ways and pay OOP for his mish-mash meals. Probably not the most balanced meals but later we'll pull out a packet of peanuts or some fruit for him. Nope, I'm not a perfect parent but I'm keeping my kid alive each day and some days that's all I can do.

They'll adjust things, but for the most part they won't go out to another restaurant to bring in something that isn't on the menu. The special diets line is to ensure that they have the needed item taken care of ahead of time. Not that I suggest anyone should pretend their child has special needs when they really don't, so that they can have chicken nuggets and fries at every meal.

Also, nobody will be allowed to sit at a buffet or fixed-price meal without paying for the meal. Which is one reason why 'Ohana is willing to pull from the Kona kitchen to have "kid fare" available. But say if one decides to buy a chicken nugget dinner at Liberty Inn and bring it into Akershus for their child, they'll still be charged for the Akershus meal.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter