Chihuly Glass

Grammy4Lizzy

DIS Veteran
I was watching Smithsonain Channel this morning and they talked about Chihuly glass, I wondered if anyone knows what DCL did with the beautiful chandeliers from the Magic and Wonder?

Probably in a traveling show. I’ve seen a few traveling shows with his work. Probably have to get the name of the chandelier to google it.

It was lovely; I can’t find any information online about its destination - but have learned that it was plexiglass.

When we were sailing out of Seattle, we also visited the Bridge of Glass in Tacoma - his artwork on display (no fee) on an bridge over the Interstate.IMG_0338.jpegIMG_0333.jpegIMG_0340.jpeg

I call this one the Dalek:

IMG_0334.jpeg

I believe it was returned to the artist. What was done with it then, no idea. Always thought it was ugly and didn't fit with the ship design but the replacements were no better. Still needs work IMO.

I believe it was returned to the artist. What was done with it then, no idea. Always thought it was ugly and didn't fit with the ship design but the replacements were no better. Still needs work IMO.
Yes it was on loan/rented maybe. The artist has several traveling shows in several countries. I didn’t feel it went with the ship exactly either, but I love his work and I’m okay with everything not being matchie matchie, when it comes to decor. But the art itself(glass work) was very popular and fits the aesthetic of the period they represented. Art deco and Art nouveau.

Generally, these features are on loan not owned by the ship. So it would be returned to the company and likely either went on another loan or could have even been sold to a private person. Hard to say.

Wanted to know if anyone knows the name of either of the two chandeliers? I searched for them again and couldn’t fine them. Maybe the title of the chandeliers could move my search along?

I'm not sure of the spelling but i think they were called something like Fnezie 1 and 2. Magic had 1 and Wonder had 2. I remember it from the art of the ship tour they used to do.

Truly from a different era. Michael Eisner insisted on only the best, and had an obsession with using world class artists and architects in the company.

We will never see such high-end artistic collaborations as the Eisner years at Disney I fear... Under Eisner, Disney was not just a company, it stood for excellence in my view... The world class nature of these chandeliers compared to fiber optics on the Wish cannot be more clear of a difference...

I'm not sure of the spelling but i think they were called something like Fnezie 1 and 2. Magic had 1 and Wonder had 2. I remember it from the art of the ship tour they used to do.
Good clue about the art of the ship tour -- I found a random article with the name! Festa Venezia I and II -- here are details about the one on the Magic: http://www.disneycruiser.info/dmtour.htm

I thought that those glass structures were stunning and a real statement when you boarded, but then I’m a huge fan of Dale Chihuly.
I’m from the UK but visited Seattle especially to go to the gardens and I can truly say that I was blown away.
For me they are a loss, and nothing that I have seen on The Magic and Wonder now comes close, but like everything it personal taste. I’d love to see them again wherever they are.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

GET UP TO A $1000 SHIPBOARD CREDIT AND AN EXCLUSIVE GIFT!

If you make your Disney Cruise Line reservation with Dreams Unlimited Travel you’ll receive these incredible shipboard credits to spend on your cruise!

facebook twitter