China 2010

We are also planning to go to the Expo in Shanghai. Daughter's company will have some installations there (she works in "interactive digital media"). ABD tells me that we are on our own for getting tix, transportation, etc for the Expo so we will likely purchase tix before we go. It would be great to have others to travel with to go there. It is supposed to be amazing!

In our documents for our May 30th trip...ABD mentions the Expo on Day 9, stating the following: "*If you are visiting Shanghai between May 1 and October 31, 2010, you may wish to visit the Shanghai World Expo event during your stay on your own time. Please see your Adventure Guides for more information."

It is also mentioned on Day 10, "Shanghai A La Carte" We have the morning and afternoon free.

I guess that means we can visit both the expo and the Barbie store! ;)

Is anyone going on the August 15th trip to China? We are going with our two boys ages 7 and 10 and would like to meet anyone else going in advance. Thanks.

I am enjoying a peaceful afternoon and spending some time dreaming of our trip. Two weeks of not having to go to work, going on a fantastic adventure with my family and meeting new friends...I CAN'T WAIT!!

Has anyone been reading any good books about China? I really like to read. Most of the things I read about China are travel books. Anyone know some good novels?

I just read a mystery set in Shanghai: Death of a Red Heroine by Qiu Xiaolong. Quite enjoyed it.
I have read some non-fiction a while ago: Life and Death in Shanghai by Nien Cheng and Wild Swans: Three Daughters of China by Jung Chang. Really liked both of them.
I also just read 'Undress me in the Temple of Heaven' which is a travel memoir. Interesting to see how different China is now from the mid 1980s.

I am enjoying a peaceful afternoon and spending some time dreaming of our trip. Two weeks of not having to go to work, going on a fantastic adventure with my family and meeting new friends...I CAN'T WAIT!!

Has anyone been reading any good books about China? I really like to read. Most of the things I read about China are travel books. Anyone know some good novels?

I enjoy reading about China - maybe someday I can take enough time off work to enjoy traveling there! Some of my favorites: ANYTHING by Amy Tan (some are set in China, some in the US), "Snow Flower and the Secret Fan" - Lisa See (she also has another book that I haven't read), "The Good Earth" - Pearl Buck, "Spring Moon" & "Legacies, A Chinese Mosaic" by Bette Bao Lord. Happy reading!

I'm so excited for everyone! We have been to China twice, both times for adoptions so one day we would like to do a "pleasure" trip instead of "business!" We spent some time in Beijing and then to the South in Hefei, Anhui (as someone said, the "real" China!) and then with my son, all the way to the North Korean border in Shenyang, Lioning Province(also real-a Wal-Mart and KFC being the highlights!). Then for both kids all the way south near Hong Kong to Guangzhou.

Yes, the Chinese have no sense of personal space and are beyond curious about non-Asians. We had the experience of a whole busload of people rushing out of their seats and staring at the windows at us because we were standing there with two little Chinese kids. Quite the experience!

My daughter was four when we went back for my son. She had a great time and got lots of attention. We had horrible jetlag the second time because she slept all the way over on the plane and then was totally off and wouldn't let us sleep. Try to get as much sleep as possible the first few hours you are there and you'll be fine. That's what we did the first time and we were OK.

Have a great trip! I'll be looking forward to hearing what you have to say and any pictures!
Jessica

The other book by Lisa See is Shanghia Girls, I just finished it and could barely put it down, I am going to read the Secret Fan next.

We are booked July 18, 2010, this is our first ABD trip and we are learning a lot from this board, thanks everyone for your tips and sharing your experiences.
Hi. We are also going on the July 18th, 2010 China trip. We are a family of 4 -mom,dad and 11 year old girl and 13 year old boy. This is our third ABD trip-did Germany (Once Upon a Fairytale) and Paris and Provence. Had great times and guides on both. Just got the packets to start visa process. Looks a little cumbersome. Looking forward to meeting.

Nice to finally connect with someone on our trip. We are also a family of 4, mom, dad, son 10 and daughter 13 turning 14 on the trip. I just sent my Visa applications away today, I think the process is a little different for us, we live in Canada, but all we had to do was get a passport photo fill out a form (was not to bad) and send that with our passports to the our travel agent and they do the rest. Hopefully I did everything right!!

Are you guys going early or staying longer. We are going one day early and staying one extra day in Hong Kong.

We are not able to come early or stay longer because of work. I know the time change will be a big adjustment. We've done it before to South Africa and to Australia last summer. The kids do better than the adults! We have to get pictures for our visas and then I can mail them back. This will be the first country we've been to where none of us speak a word of the language and it is a little intimidating. We're trying to learn a few basic phrases. Starting to get excited. I think the kids will be more enthusiastic when school ends in 6 weeks! I love reading the discussion pages and will be waiting to hear what the May 30th group has to say.

I have a question for anyone who has done this trip previously or for those who go before me, is there a chance to use laundry facilities at any of the hotels?

I have a question for anyone who has done this trip previously or for those who go before me, is there a chance to use laundry facilities at any of the hotels?

If you're staying there for a couple of nights, I'm sure all of the hotels you (and we :)) will be staying at will offer laundry services. You'll pay through the nose, though.

We actually used the laundry in the hotel in Shanghai last year, and yes it was a little pricey. But I also know that the guides were willing to direct us to some local laundries where we could get the clothes done for a lot cheaper.

Is anyone going on the August 15th trip to China? We are going with our two boys ages 7 and 10 and would like to meet anyone else going in advance. Thanks.

DH and myself will be on the Aug 15th trip, and I believe there is 1 other family who's checked in here that is also on the same date. Glad to hear of more folks joining the trip!

I wanted to post a good site for information on traveling to/in China for all. About.com has lots of great links and articles, including travel w/ children.

I will highlight this one for all of you to read. I cannot post the link here, but I highly recommend searching the site for "squat toilet china" to get some useful info. :scared1:

The articles on what to pack, especially medications (over the counter stuff) should also be helpful.

Looking forward to "meeting" others who will be on the July 4 tour.

Kathy Rubin
Final payment - done!
Visa application - done!
Packing - mentally working on it!

Hi Kathy! Thanks for sharing a great website. It sounds like you are very organized. Making the last payment opens you up to relaxing and dreaming of the trip! The visa from our last trip to China just expired yesterday, so now we can apply for the one for this trip. We are going to do that this week.

So, as you dream of the trip, what part are you really excited about? For me it is the pandas. (I have already told our children that I will probably embarrass them by crying! I think it is an amazing opportunity to see them up close.) My husband is looking forward to Guilin, we have never been to that part of China. Our youngest DD is just up for any adventure, any time! You probably won't believe this, but our oldest DD is still talking about the great broccolli from the last trip. She says Chinese broccolli tastes better than Ohio broccolli.:rotfl:

Since I volunteer with Operation Smile for medical missions, I have had a lot of foreign travel experience and experience in coping with LONG flights. I have put together a list of suggestions that are too long to post here, but that I would be happy to send to anyone who wants it (just drop me a note - my email is carouselkr at aol). Also, I would suggest everyone look at the CDC.gov website and search the topic travelers diarrhea for some excellent info.

I have been twice to China in the past, and mostly I am looking forward to sharing this trip with my DD (age 25). She is really excited about a trip that includes seeing and hopefully, holding, baby pandas. Her first trip to WDW was in the womb so she has Disney in her blood! We are both really looking forward to Hong Kong Disney as our first visit to a Disney park outside of the US (we plan to visit them all eventually!). We are also really excited about the 2010 Shanghai Expo World's Fair as my DD's field is Interactive Digital Media (future imagineer someday) and will likely forgo the Disney activities in Shanghai to attend the Expo, even though it will be my birthday (7/11) while we are there.

My recent cruise on the Disney Magic (14-day transatlantic crossing) has gotten me very excited to experience the Disney "magic" :wizard: on this ABD tour!

I cannot wait to meet the rest of those going on the July 4 trip!! If you are going on any other trip, I am still happy to send along my suggestion list.

I really have to learn how to make up a "signature" for this site!! Meanwhile...

Kathy R in FL
First visit to WDW in 1979 (annual passholder for many years)
DVC members since the first year (August 1992):OKW, SSR and BLT
First visit to DL and DCA in 2007
First Disney cruise in 2008 on Wonder; 2010 transatlantic on Magic
First ABD July 4 2010 China

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter