Choosing to stay during a mandatory evacuation

A lot of people don't evacuate because in the past when they did evacuate they were not allowed back to their homes for days or even weeks after the storm had passed We can disagree with their decisions but I try to understand where they're coming from

That is all part of evacuating. You don't just leave for the storm, you leave until it is deemed safe to return. No one should be in an unsafe area after the storm either because clean up and repair crews have to do their jobs.

There are heartbreaking 9-11 calls from Katrina of people who stayed and called for help that could not get out in the storm.

The dispatchers are still traumatized knowing they were unable to send help. And people did die.

The fear of looters coming in is real and the fear of not being allowed back in to secure your things is also real.

I really don't agree with fines. First responders don't have to answer 911 calls, they can tell people "no" if they want, all of that I'm ok with, but not the fines. Because you could have a huge hole in your roof or whatever and by the time the gov't lets you back in then your house damaged much more severely. And then there's the looters...

My friend was in a pre-evac zone for some pretty nasty fires last week. People just 10 min away were in mandatory evac. My friend noticed this suspicious car driving around the neighborhoods. She got their plate info as they just seemed to be circling the neighborhoods over and over.
She then noticed they would pause outside each home that had people loading up their cars for the evac. My friend told one guy down the street who is a cop, and long story short, they were able to connect the people in the car to a series of lootings in the towns over that had gone into mandatory evac earlier in the week. And they had a list of all the houses in the neighborhood that were/had already evacuated. And two of those homes had been looted and were able to connect their prints to those homes as well.

Last edited:
No judgement. Perhaps more people would be willing to evacuate if Government agencies didn’t truly lock them out of the affected areas when they try to return to their homes after the storm has passed.

We had a Gale hit in 2006 with 90 mph winds. Just warnings and no evacuation needed. Lost power for a week. After day 3 of no power or heat and having 2 babies, we evacuated. Once we left we couldn’t return until the downed trees were cleared, downed power lines removed, and power was restored.

The quote below is a great answer to the quote above, but I want to add - why on earth would you return to a place with downed power lines, downed trees, and no power with two babies????

If they let people back in before it is safe, then the government would be held responsible for any injury or loss of life that results. This is the government protecting you from dangers you might not even be aware of.

I have never understood why people stay to prevent looting. Everyone with posessions worth looting has homeowners insurance that will replace your belongings. Just take photos and document what you have before you leave

Oh, so many reasons, and it's rather easy to sit in judgment when you are in a position to have choices.

On the issue of homeowner's insurance, don't bet on it. Poor people and landlords usually don't buy more insurance than the mortgage company requires, and most of the time, flood damage is excluded from those policies if you live in a low-lying area. Flood insurance costs extra, that is, *if* you can find a policy to buy, which in some areas is darned-near impossible because companies have withdrawn from the market. Also, the idea that looters will only take items that are valuable enough to be well-insured is laughable -- they will take anything, even things that are nailed down, including ripping out light fixtures and going at the walls with axes to remove copper pipes.

Mentally-ill people usually simply can't take shelters; they are almost always terrified of them. Shelters are full of strangers that may or may not be dangerous, and usually there is no real security in place to make sure bad actors are caught.
Nothing like running to a shelter with every item of value that you possess in the world, only to have someone steal it all the minute you fall asleep.

Most of all, it is the fear of losing everything that they feel makes life worth living. People are scared that if they lose everything they have they will never recover, and if that happens they tend to think that death is a viable alternative, at least until it is actually staring them in the eyes. For the vast majority of people in evacuation zones, the odds of surviving a big storm are fairly good if they have been careful and are properly prepared, and most people who have never experienced a direct hit will be convinced that they fall into that category.

At the same time that forecasting has gotten so much better at predicting storm paths and flooding, home construction has gotten worse at building to withstand storms and flooding. Part of the problem is the advent of air-conditioning. In the days before A/C, people in coastal areas built homes up off the ground with high ceilings, many windows, and large attics to take up the heat. Starting in the 1960's, people started building ranch homes in coastal areas; homes on slabs with low ceilings, no real attic space, and windows too small to be comfortable without A/C. That style of house is cheap, but it is also the kind most prone to serious damage anytime you get floodwater, and if water does come in, there is no where to go but your roof. I used to know a man who lived in a very flood-prone area in-between the point where two rivers converge; his house was completely designed to handle the frequent flooding. He had winch-pallets under all the major appliances so that he could hoist them up to the ceiling, his attic is large and finished, so that it is possible to go up there to avoid high water, and the house itself is built on 9 foot piers which are sunk 30 feet deep. He can ride out almost anything in that house, and usually does.

PS; One other thing. Let's be clear on what a mandatory evacuation represents in a hurricane. It is a legal term, and what it means is that, for their safety, first responders will not be sent into the evac zone while the storm is active. It does NOT mean that law enforcement will knock on your door and force you out ahead of the storm. Once the storm itself has passed, first responders will go back into the area and do whatever needs to be done.

Also, the thing about Katrina and the marker-on-the-arm was not something that was broadcast on the news before the storm. It's a scare tactic used by cops who are going door-to-door, usually in smaller beach communities. If no cop showed up at your house, then no one handed you a marker and told you to what to write. Reporters later heard about it and mentioned it, but that was after the flood had already hit.

Last edited:

I'd want to see MUCH better services to help people evacuate before even considering fining people who stay. Right now, the availability of transportation to shelters, space in pet-friendly shelters, and accommodations for people with medical/social needs are all spotty at best. And after Katrina, I don't blame people for being leery about what kind of conditions they might encounter in shelters.

We don't live in a place prone to large-scale or predictable disasters so the odds of ever having to evacuate are very low, but if it did happen we'd probably leave someone (myself, DH or adult DS) home while the others went to a shelter if it did come to that. Because I wouldn't leave our rabbits behind to drown in flood waters or starve/dehydrate before we could return home, and in our limited experience (with a 'warming center' shelter set up during a prolonged winter power outage), animals that don't need licensing or routine vaccination don't meet the criteria for pet-friendly shelters. There's just no paperwork to show to meet their requirements.

Last edited:
The quote below is a great answer to the quote above, but I want to add - why on earth would you return to a place with downed power lines, downed trees, and no power with two babies????

Because at the time we had no where else to go. No friends or family in the area. There were no shelters. We were living paycheck to paycheck those days. We had insurance, yet it didn’t cover a place to stay. The first 3 days we floated from Walmart, Target, McDonald’s, Burger King, and stayed in the car because of the power and heat. We ended up borrowing money to stay in a hotel and asked the local hotel to see if they could give us a discount and they did. Thank goodness. They didn’t have to do that. My point being not everyone can leave and have a guaranteed place to stay.

I see stories of people who have to be rescued and I wonder: if they were IN the evacuation zone and chose to stay and then need to be rescued, shouldn't they be fined? I personally think the fine should be pretty hefty. Thoughts?
THis has always stuck with me: Hurricane Katrina when persons were told to use a permanent marker and write their name on their arm for identification.
If you want to stay, OK. At least make it easier for others to identify your body.

THis has always stuck with me: Hurricane Katrina when persons were told to use a permanent marker and write their name on their arm for identification.
If you want to stay, OK. At least make it easier for others to identify your body.

Were they told this in New Orleans? Because if they were then more should have been done to get them out. If you live in the middle of a city with no car, how are you supposed to evacuate?

If they told people in Mississippi this, I never heard it. No one expected the destruction of Katrina. No one. The storm was supposed to hit New Orleans. It didn’t. The wind that slammed into Gulfport MS and brought the huge storm surge into those towns was unbeleviable. The people only had the information they were given. They were expecting as bad as Camille, not worse. Many houses destroyed on the MS coast, withstood Camille.

The hurricane hunters are in Biloxi MS. The USAF base they fly out of was not prepared for the destruction of that storm.

Because at the time we had no where else to go. No friends or family in the area. There were no shelters. We were living paycheck to paycheck those days. We had insurance, yet it didn’t cover a place to stay. The first 3 days we floated from Walmart, Target, McDonald’s, Burger King, and stayed in the car because of the power and heat. We ended up borrowing money to stay in a hotel and asked the local hotel to see if they could give us a discount and they did. Thank goodness. They didn’t have to do that. My point being not everyone can leave and have a guaranteed place to stay.

And that was people don’t seem to always understand. It takes resources to evacuate and stay evacuated. Resources some people just don’t have

It’s very easy to say that everyone in a hurricane area should have an find set aside. There are people along the gulf states that have never been ordered to evacuate that may be told to for the next storm. These storms are not an every year occurance. I mean hurricanes are but not where they hit. If someone has an evacuation fund, chances are they will have to use it before the next storm for other life emergencies that are honestly more likely to happen.

Were they told this in New Orleans? Because if they were then more should have been done to get them out. If you live in the middle of a city with no car, how are you supposed to evacuate?

If they told people in Mississippi this, I never heard it. No one expected the destruction of Katrina. No one. The storm was supposed to hit New Orleans. It didn’t. The wind that slammed into Gulfport MS and brought the huge storm surge into those towns was unbeleviable. The people only had the information they were given. They were expecting as bad as Camille, not worse. Many houses destroyed on the MS coast, withstood Camille.

The hurricane hunters are in Biloxi MS. The USAF base they fly out of was not prepared for the destruction of that storm.
Exactly!!! If that was said which I don’t recall (and think I would have)...that should be an indicator of how little resources ppl had who didn’t evacuate. I don’t know anyone who stayed b/c they wanted to. I was living in Baton Rouge at the time & everyone I knew up there had a house full of evacuees. We all had 10-15 ppl in our houses each b/c ppl had nowhere else to go. We saw ppl in parking lots sleeping in the cars. I don’t think there were many ppl who didn’t take Katrina seriously in the NOLA area. I remember we were all terrified as it became more & more obvious she was coming. And we were all ppl who had been through countless hurricanes including Betsy & Camille. It was expected to be the worst case scenario storm that NOLA had feared for years. Most ppl who stayed had no choice or had jobs that required them to stay. And even with that, the storm was not the direct hit it was supposed to be like you said & we all know how that worked out!

I have lived on the Texas Gulf Coast my entire life and have been hear for everything from Carla to Harvey. I cannot describe the decision one has to make when a storm is coming. It is easy to say everyone must evacuate. But the question I pose is how many folks here and in the real world have ever faced that decision? It is easy to see in the aftermath and be an armchair quarterback saying who should have evacuated but the decision is not as simple as many people here say it is. Beyond the money and pet discussions brought up there is also the consideration that your entire life may be sitting in that house. Yes your life is the most important thing but the emotions that you go through are unbelievable. So as a result my opinion is the same as it has been for years, make your decision and do it! Stay, go, whatever it is understand that you may have to survive for a while without any outside help. That means no power, no water, no gas, no support period. If you can live with the odds then stay. If you can't, then leave.

But there is one thing I am sure of, others should be careful not to be judgemental about those who do stay, because if you have not walked a mile in their shoes then be careful how critical you are of their decisions. We have lived in the same house for 25 years and fortunately for us never flooded dispite 50 inches of rain from Harvey. We have lost power (have a generator) been unable to get food (up to 5 days) and been without water (4 days) before and made it through. There may be a big one coming someday where our decision to stay is the wrong one, but as we understand the risks at the end of the day it should be our decision.

The other consideration is the debaucle that was Rita which hit the same year as Katrina. An evacuation was called for from the Houston area and some people spent several days on roads and highways unable to move without gas, water or food. I can assure you that if it had been a direct hit rather than turning north before it came onshore that the death toll would have rivaled many storms before it. After that governmental agencies were hesitant to say evacuate from Ike and we got hit in the teeth with that one. So make your own decision based on your experience, knowledge of your area and confidence in you ability to prepare and ride out the aftermath if you cannot expect outside help.

I think it is their own personal decision to stay in an area but I also think that they should not risk other peoples lives and try to rescue them- if they stay then let that be up to them, no assistance given while the storm is there- they either get out or wait until the storm is over and it is safe to send people out to rescue them. People should not endanger their lives for others stupidity!

But the question I pose is how many folks here and in the real world have ever faced that decision?
I lived in Florida during the 2004 hurricane season. Both storms that looked like they could be direct hits I left and for neither was I even in a mandatory evacuation zone. My possessions were all insured so if they got destroyed or stolen they would all be replaced. I'm not risking my life or the lives of others because I wanted to "just ride it out". If others do, good for them, but I don't feel they should expect help if they ignore a mandatory evacuation either.

ETA: Both of those storms completely missed us but I'm still glad I got out. I'd rather leave and be wrong than stay and be wrong.

Last edited:
I have lived on the Texas Gulf Coast my entire life and have been hear for everything from Carla to Harvey. I cannot describe the decision one has to make when a storm is coming. It is easy to say everyone must evacuate. But the question I pose is how many folks here and in the real world have ever faced that decision? It is easy to see in the aftermath and be an armchair quarterback saying who should have evacuated but the decision is not as simple as many people here say it is. Beyond the money and pet discussions brought up there is also the consideration that your entire life may be sitting in that house. Yes your life is the most important thing but the emotions that you go through are unbelievable. So as a result my opinion is the same as it has been for years, make your decision and do it! Stay, go, whatever it is understand that you may have to survive for a while without any outside help. That means no power, no water, no gas, no support period. If you can live with the odds then stay. If you can't, then leave.

But there is one thing I am sure of, others should be careful not to be judgemental about those who do stay, because if you have not walked a mile in their shoes then be careful how critical you are of their decisions. We have lived in the same house for 25 years and fortunately for us never flooded dispite 50 inches of rain from Harvey. We have lost power (have a generator) been unable to get food (up to 5 days) and been without water (4 days) before and made it through. There may be a big one coming someday where our decision to stay is the wrong one, but as we understand the risks at the end of the day it should be our decision.

The other consideration is the debaucle that was Rita which hit the same year as Katrina. An evacuation was called for from the Houston area and some people spent several days on roads and highways unable to move without gas, water or food. I can assure you that if it had been a direct hit rather than turning north before it came onshore that the death toll would have rivaled many storms before it. After that governmental agencies were hesitant to say evacuate from Ike and we got hit in the teeth with that one. So make your own decision based on your experience, knowledge of your area and confidence in you ability to prepare and ride out the aftermath if you cannot expect outside help.
True & for Rita ppl went the wrong way. I had family in Houston who evacuated back to LA, but we got hit harder so the decision of where to go is a tough decision too!

I think it is their own personal decision to stay in an area but I also think that they should not risk other peoples lives and try to rescue them- if they stay then let that be up to them, no assistance given while the storm is there- they either get out or wait until the storm is over and it is safe to send people out to rescue them. People should not endanger their lives for others stupidity!
Over 1000 ppl died in Katrina & as I recall none were emergency responders...if that helps you.

If you have the physical and financial means, and there is a mandatory evacuation then there is no excuse.
It isn't some devious plot to create chaos in your life, it is to keep you and others safe. If you choose to ignore that fact and stay then you should take responsibility for yourself if you are in need of rescue.

And to the pp who mentioned no emergency responders died during Katrina that doesn't negate the fact that they are still out there risking their lives in order to make sure others are safe. (And that wasn't a specific comment about Katrina but more in general).

I haven’t read all of the replies. DS is a Paramedic and volunteer firefighter. It makes me mad when people do stupid things (like not evacuating) and then expect someone to come haul their butt out of trouble when they realize they can’t deal with the situation. I have read that there were buses transporting people out to free shelters. And I understand that people don’t want to abandon pets but you will have to excuse me if I think my son’s (and other emergency personnel’s) life is more important than your pet or anything in your house that might be stolen.

Over 1000 ppl died in Katrina & as I recall none were emergency responders...if that helps you.
On this part here..I think it can be easy to forget that for everyone in general dying isn't the only bad thing that can happen.

People who are in that line of work understand that they will see tough things, bad things, etc. It doesn't necessarily make it easier on them. I really haven't looked into if any died or not but I'll trust your word. But you've forgotten the emotional and mental toll it can take on a person to see such devestation. On the one hand it's seeing just how much destruction can happen. It's another thing to search for survivors, it's another thing to rescue this person and know that you couldn't rescue another. It's another thing to learn you could save this pet but this other couldn't. And we're not even talking solely about the people actually there. Dispatchers can have traumatic experiences too. They are on the phone with the people calling, etc.

And I'm not saying this to debate-stay or don't stay I'm just saying that just because emergency responders didn't die shouldn't really 'help' a person out on how they feel.

On this part here..I think it can be easy to forget that for everyone in general dying isn't the only bad thing that can happen.

People who are in that line of work understand that they will see tough things, bad things, etc. It doesn't necessarily make it easier on them. I really haven't looked into if any died or not but I'll trust your word. But you've forgotten the emotional and mental toll it can take on a person to see such devestation. On the one hand it's seeing just how much destruction can happen. It's another thing to search for survivors, it's another thing to rescue this person and know that you couldn't rescue another. It's another thing to learn you could save this pet but this other couldn't. And we're not even talking solely about the people actually there. Dispatchers can have traumatic experiences too. They are on the phone with the people calling, etc.

And I'm not saying this to debate-stay or don't stay I'm just saying that just because emergency responders didn't die shouldn't really 'help' a person out on how they feel.
My only point was one person’s life is not more valuable than another. Most ppl stayed b/c they had no other choice. Technically first responders still had a choice to not respond if were too dangerous.

If you have the physical and financial means, and there is a mandatory evacuation then there is no excuse.
It isn't some devious plot to create chaos in your life, it is to keep you and others safe. If you choose to ignore that fact and stay then you should take responsibility for yourself if you are in need of rescue.

And to the pp who mentioned no emergency responders died during Katrina that doesn't negate the fact that they are still out there risking their lives in order to make sure others are safe. (And that wasn't a specific comment about Katrina but more in general).
That’s the point. At least for Katrina very few ppl, if any, that met the above criteria didn’t evacuate. No one took that storm lightly. Many did leave their pets to die. That’s why it’s now illegal to do that here.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter