Chosen for Nani in live-action Lilo and Stitch, but should she have been?

Her Dotness

DIS Veteran
1682288211899.jpeg

Sydney Agudong, part Hawaiian, born and raised on Kauai will play Nani.

Nani's dark skin is such an important factor in why she struggles to get a good job and to provide a livable home for Lilo.

I say no, bad choice. She has none of the distinctive features of an indigenous Hawaiian as do animated Nani and Lilo, also a factor. Had she those, makeup might be tolerable for me.

That Disney didn't move beyond colorism for this role disappoints me.

Your thoughts?

ETA: Corrected spelling of her last name. OOPS!

And this is the girl making her debut as Lilo, Maia Kealoha . That's more like it.

1682291432158.jpeg

Last edited:
I think it's fine if she was best for the role. They cast actors of various skin tones for lots of roles. There should be no expectation that it match perfectly, or even at all. People complain about it all the time, and in most cases it turns out just fine.

And the live action Snow White is going to be played by a Latina. That one has left me scratching my head.

And yet, if the end product turns out to be good, then it won't matter at all. Even if it's not good, it won't be Rachel Zegler's fault.

This casting choice isn't great but I can't get too worked up over these live action remakes. Even if they got an actress that looks more like Nani, the movie will most likely still be bad.

Well, it might not be "bad" exactly, just boring and redundant compared to the animated counterpart. Sometimes they surprise you though. I'm willing to wait and see. I am not bothered at all by the casting choice though.

Well, it might not be "bad" exactly, just boring and redundant compared to the animated counterpart. Sometimes they surprise you though. I'm willing to wait and see. I am not bothered at all by the casting choice though.
In my opinion "boring and redundant compared to the animated counterpart" is still a bad movie. I'm not super upset about the choice even if I don't think it's good.

I think it's fine if she was best for the role. They cast actors of various skin tones for lots of roles. There should be no expectation that it match perfectly, or even at all. People complain about it all the time, and in most cases it turns out just fine.

Skin tone wasn't the main issue despite my mentioning it first. That can easily be changed by face and body makeup.

What bothers me more is that while Maia LOOKS authentic, eyes and nose resembling Lilo's, Sydney has decidedly Caucasian features. I suppose they can write in a bit about her being Lilo's half-sister or some other dodge.

Yes, I know the old phrase "act past the physical." Skillfully done in a movie that doesn't strongly revolve around problems/themes linked to racial/ethnic characteristics, a good actor can make the audience forget what the character is "supposed to" look like. I just can't see that happening in this movie.

Haven't you figured out by now, that the new strategy at Disney is to create live action characters that do not resemble the cartoon?

Yup, that's my problem in a nutshell. Silly Dot!

I hear what you are saying OP.

Not only was mom's look plainly indigenous which I took to mean a body positive nod to girls to say, we are pretty too in a non caucasian way, but, the animation also went out of it's way to normalize the mom's body type. Mom was a beautiful surfer with a thick, stocky & athletic body with chunky solid legs. Lets not backslide.

I don't think we can have it both ways. If we're trying to include more actors of color by casting them in roles that were previously played only by lighter-skinned actors, then we're saying (rightly, I believe) that acting is about the acting, not the looks.

We can't then turn around and deny someone a part because she doesn't look ethnic enough if she truly did the best read for the role. Maybe the one who got it just has something in her personality that screams "Nani" and makes her really believable?

I am mostly concerned about what CGI Stitch is going to look like... and he is a favorite in this house. I predict either completely off or nightmare fuel.

I also doubt that Disney is going to be adding back in so much of what hit the cutting room floor in the original Lilo and Stitch (and I don't mean the airplane scene). How Lilo was taking pics because too often tourists were taking photos of her like she was something to gawk at so it was her way of getting some control back... But then Aulani.... So we can't have hard conversations about tourism and Hawaii when Disney owns a chunk of Hawaii… So I don't see the need for a live action that is unlikely to address anything more than the original.

I am over the live actions. They rarely add anything beyond token lip service to girl power (Belle can now invent a washing machine but still needs her dad's help to get out when they are locked up together, Jasmine gets an empowerment song about not being silent but is literally gagged by smoke and held in the air as soon as she is done). Cinderella was the most well done of the bunch but only Jungle Book might have actually had a bigger message- the rest? I will gladly take the originals first any day.

I will see Little Mermaid because my son is in love with Halle as Ariel but honestly the live actions just tend to loose most of the magic that animation brings- the emotions you can see so clearly in the tilt of a head or the sag of a mouth. Considering Disney has pretty much gotten rid of their previously glorious 2D animation I feel like all this is another dig at animation as a whole.

Do we REALLY need a live action Moana? Even with the amazing original cast? They were amazing. Moana was amazing. We don't need to redo it. I want Disney to start creating new and fresh stories.

Lilo and Stitch (even with everything that was cut) means a lot to certain people. I know everyone quotes the Ohana quote but in our family it is "This is my family. I found it, all on my own. It's little and broken, but still good." that hits us in the feels. I wish they would leave it alone. It is a beautiful and lovely film and does not need to be tainted with some cash grab live action remake.

Last edited:
I don't think we can have it both ways. If we're trying to include more actors of color by casting them in roles that were previously played only by lighter-skinned actors, then we're saying (rightly, I believe) that acting is about the acting, not the looks.

Okay, I agree with you to a point. The point being, for instance, casting actors in the original Hamilton whose appearance was so contrary to those of the historical personages that it's hard to believe that's who it's about. Couldn't Lin-Manuel Miranda have shaved off his beard at least? He'd much more nearly have resembled Alexander Hamilton if he had.

Probably wasn't an issue for most audience members because they hadn't a clue other than the $10 bill what Alexander Hamilton looked like. It was for me, though, and perhaps for others familiar with paintings of the Founders.

I suppose my "willing suspension of disbelief" just ain't very willing in this regard. Nor is it for Lilo and Nani. That these characters are indigenous Hawaiians is essential to the conflict. Their facial and bodily features matter in the context of this film.

Doesn't matter to me in the least if an Asian Indian or darkskinned Black woman plays Ariel, Cinderella, Aurora, etc. These are fictional characters in mythical contexts. Their appearance isn't closely linked to the plot. They can look like whatever the director wants, perhaps to make a point akin to Santa Claus does not have to be white or Jesus was highly unlikely to have looked like the blue-eyed, fairskinned white guy in popular images.

Tiana? I'd have major issues if Scarlett Johansson were cast in the role. Tiana's appearance and her ethnicity are very strongly entwined, somewhat like Nani's.
We can't then turn around and deny someone a part because she doesn't look ethnic enough if she truly did the best read for the role.

Of course we can if we want the film to be believable.

Acting isn't voice-only unless it's for animation. Appearance counts mightily, too, for some films--like Lilo and Stitch.

I do not care about colourblind casting that much, unless:
- race is part of the story (think Miss Saigon, Hairspray)
- when you say you go as historically accurate as possible (let's take the series Mad Men as an example where they tried to get all the details right to the cigarettes smoked), then also make historically accurate choices in casting.
- or when it is a family situation (example, in the London cast of Billy Elliot, they had Billy played by a boy of colour and the mom, dad and brother were all white), that is one where my brain starts to protest.

I agree with Pollyanna, it gets hard to say "you are of ethnicity X, but you don't look like X enough'".

I have never seen Lilo & Stitch in full, so I don't really care about this remake. About Moana... my first thought was: who asked for this?
Not necessary. And definitely not necessary now.

Beauty and the Beast wasnt bad either.
I could debate this all day long with the constant need to “fix” plot holes and odd choices- (we are now paying the towns people to sing Gaston’s praises vs them actually being enamored of him).

Also, by raising the stakes that everyone in the castle will end up frozen in place as an inanimate object, it makes the Beast letting Belle go actually seem a little bit cruel to all the people that are working for him. He’s basically choosing her happiness over the potential for anybody else to get it. It works out, but it easily could’ve gone the wrong way.

Also some of the subplots like teaching a girl to read when it doesn’t go anywhere, the washing machine invention subplot that doesn’t develop into anything, him gifting the library not as I want to do something for her but geez could you pick better books to read… seriously I could go on and on…

ETA-
Oh, and how the people working in the castle are somehow to blame for the fact the Beast ended up a brat because that they did not speak up to their master for how he chose to raise his child considering the time period this is set in… someone explain to me what sort of power servants had in that time to change how the master of a castle was raising their child? This they deserve to be cursed too justification, they try to shoehorn in is just complete BS.

Seriously I could go on and on and on, and I actually like many of the actors in it.

When I first saw her picture I didn't think she was even Hawaiian, so yeah I think they could've cast the role better.

I could debate this all day long with the constant need to “fix” plot holes and odd choices- (we are now paying the towns people to sing Gaston’s praises vs them actually being enamored of him).

Also, by raising the stakes that everyone in the castle will end up frozen in place as an inanimate object, it makes the Beast letting Belle go actually seem a little bit cruel to all the people that are working for him. He’s basically choosing her happiness over the potential for anybody else to get it. It works out, but it easily could’ve gone the wrong way.

Also some of the subplots like teaching a girl to read when it doesn’t go anywhere, the washing machine invention subplot that doesn’t develop into anything, him gifting the library not as I want to do something for her but geez could you pick better books to read… seriously I could go on and on…

ETA-
Oh, and how the people working in the castle are somehow to blame for the fact the Beast ended up a brat because that they did not speak up to their master for how he chose to raise his child considering the time period this is set in… someone explain to me what sort of power servants had in that time to change how the master of a castle was raising their child? This they deserve to be cursed too justification, they try to shoehorn in is just complete BS.

Seriously I could go on and on and on, and I actually like many of the actors in it.
I see your points.. what I like about it is how the characters and especially the "objects" actually are like the cartoon charaters jumped out of illustration to real life. That is why I don't like the latest live actions. Has nothing to do with race or what not. but Iike the idea of taking am image one sees as illustration and somehow getting that to be a copy as live action. ex. with BB- Gasten in live action is perfect from look etc...

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter