Christmas - car rental vs busses

LakeErieMom

Earning My Ears
Normally we stay at Yacht Club and use Disney Transportation and Uber. This is our first trip over Christmas (22nd-28th) and we will not have access to Monorail or Skyliner from our resorts (Animal Kingdom Lodge and Riverside). Due to it being an extremely busy time of year, would it be better to rent a car from the airport? I am thinking bus transportation will be much more busy/delayed and Uber’s prices will surge high. We are planning to do quite a bit of resort hopping for restaurants, are attending the Christmas Party one night, and have a couple days in the parks. I think using the busses may add a significant amount of wasted time, but I’ve never dealt with having a car there, so maybe that is more of a pain with parking? Does anyone have any experience or opinions on what to do when traveling at Christmas?

A car is nice to have on property because it gives you options. Have you priced it out yet? It might be expensive since it's a peak time, so rideshares may not be as outrageous as you think. Busses will be busy, though I do think Disney will try and ramp up the number on the routes. As far as resort hopping, most monorail resorts will not let you park without an ADR, especially during such a busy season, but it should not be an issue if you do. If you drive to some of the parks (Magic Kingdom in particular), it is a trek from the parking lot to the TTC and then over to the MK. The parking lots will be busy, fortunately the trams are back. It's a tough choice, I think I might go the car rental route, so you have flexibility to drive if you want and to go off property if you need or want to shop elsewhere. AKL is kind of "out there".

For AKL, I'd agree with renting a car. Time is money at Disney. Even if you park at TTC, DHS or Epcot and hop from there, you're still ahead vs the long bus rides to MK. It just gives you options.

For AKL, I'd agree with renting a car. Time is money at Disney. Even if you park at TTC, DHS or Epcot and hop from there, you're still ahead vs the long bus rides to MK. It just gives you options.

How are you ahead? With the bus, it is direct to the front of the parks. Driving to the TTC, then having to maybe wait on a tram or having a long walk, and then waiting on the monorail or ferry. That TTC portion alone can eat up 30 minutes easily when the lot is busy.

I'm not anti rental car, but during peak periods in the parks? Stick to Disney transportation.

@maxiesmom TTT/MK is the only park I'd agree with, but the long bus ride to negates that to me. Your call, I'd prefer to use my car, Christmas at Disney is nuts.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter