Christmas or New Years at WDW?

Gracedis1

Mouseketeer
Our family of 4 is trying to decide if we should go this holiday season at Christmas, Dec. 21-27, or for New Years, Dec. 31 to Jan. 6. If we go in December we would get free dining, but the January room rate is cheaper. Which week would have lower crowds? Anything else we should consider? Thanks!!

Without a doubt, January will have lower crowds. Xmas to NYE week is the busiest of the year.

Having said that, it's still an absolute blast if you just remember to pack your patience and holiday spirit along with your clothes.

Both weeks will be madhouses but I think you'll have less crowds the further away from the 1st then the build up to Christmas.
Also the NYE fireworks at the MK are not to be missed.

We were there Dec 25- Jan 4th this past year. It was unbelievable! It was super crowded but we had a plan and it worked really well for us. Most of the dates you have will be very crowded, but if you plan well, you will be fine. We got to the parks EARLY everyday, on the bus by 6:30ish form POR. The early hours each day are your best bet to actually do things, Have your fastpasses for 11- 1or so, then LEAVE! GO back to the room, rest, swim, eat whatever, then return for evenings at 6 or so. It did get cold by the 1st or so. We did the fireworks in MK on the 30th, and EPCOT the 31st. EPCOT was awesome! We went back to EPCOT on the 1st maybe noon or so, it was cold but that evening the place was empty! It will be FUN!!

The second week for sure!!!! We were there Dec 19th to Jan 4th a few years back and the beginning and end of trip was most manageable. Beyond that, I've said I'll NEVER do Christmas at WDW again, but I would do NYE in a heartbeat. By far EPCOT on NYE was the highlight of the trip and an unforgettable experience. Have fun!

We were there Dec 25- Jan 4th this past year. It was unbelievable! It was super crowded but we had a plan and it worked really well for us. Most of the dates you have will be very crowded, but if you plan well, you will be fine. We got to the parks EARLY everyday, on the bus by 6:30ish form POR. The early hours each day are your best bet to actually do things, Have your fastpasses for 11- 1or so, then LEAVE! GO back to the room, rest, swim, eat whatever, then return for evenings at 6 or so. It did get cold by the 1st or so. We did the fireworks in MK on the 30th, and EPCOT the 31st. EPCOT was awesome! We went back to EPCOT on the 1st maybe noon or so, it was cold but that evening the place was empty! It will be FUN!!
Why did you like Epcot?

I’ve been hearing this all over and my H and I have only ever done NYE at MK, which is a nightmare in itself if you stay until 12. I’d love to do California grill instead but I missed out. We usually do BOG but if you have any recs for something else please let me know!

Why did you like Epcot?

I’ve been hearing this all over and my H and I have only ever done NYE at MK, which is a nightmare in itself if you stay until 12. I’d love to do California grill instead but I missed out. We usually do BOG but if you have any recs for something else please let me know!

EPCOT was fun! We had dinner in France at 8ish maybe, then after headed to England. They were having a dance party in back, which was great, family friendly and not too crowded. My girls were right in front dancing their hearts out. We stayed there for awhile. Then walked around World Showcase a bit, USA, also had a dance party on the big stage, we didn't go down there, China had an awesome party with a fire breathing dragon. Italy also had a party. We made it up to the stage by the big fountains, for yet another party, and stayed there. Great view of the fireworks at midnight, and then we got out of there quick!! After hearing horror stories about being stuck either waiting for a bus or in traffic for HOURS, we were not messing around! We were back at POR by 12:30. It was really a lot of fun.

This is so interesting to me. So, you were able to leave the parks, go back to your hotel at POR using the buses, enjoy a break, and still get back to the parks around 6:00? We want to go this year and would like to do that schedule. But I was worried that it would not be feasible due to the crowds, and traffic problems. It is great to hear otherwise. Did you even do that on the 30th and 31st?

EPCOT was fun! We had dinner in France at 8ish maybe, then after headed to England. They were having a dance party in back, which was great, family friendly and not too crowded. My girls were right in front dancing their hearts out. We stayed there for awhile. Then walked around World Showcase a bit, USA, also had a dance party on the big stage, we didn't go down there, China had an awesome party with a fire breathing dragon. Italy also had a party. We made it up to the stage by the big fountains, for yet another party, and stayed there. Great view of the fireworks at midnight, and then we got out of there quick!! After hearing horror stories about being stuck either waiting for a bus or in traffic for HOURS, we were not messing around! We were back at POR by 12:30. It was really a lot of fun.

How did you get out quick? We have reservations at Coronado but I honestly would rather change to an Epcot based resort just to avoid the mess. When we did NYE at MK we did it where we left before 12 and then one time we stayed for midnight and that resulted in it taking 3 hours getting back to our place. I’m sure Minnie van service will be a disaster as well.

This is so interesting to me. So, you were able to leave the parks, go back to your hotel at POR using the buses, enjoy a break, and still get back to the parks around 6:00? We want to go this year and would like to do that schedule. But I was worried that it would not be feasible due to the crowds, and traffic problems. It is great to hear otherwise. Did you even do that on the 30th and 31st?

Yes we did go back to avoid the afternoon crowds.
I honestly don't remember if we left on the 30th and came back or not! I don't think we did. But we did have dinner at BOG, at 8ish maybe. We watched the fireworks from the tomorrowland side of the hub. It was a long day though

How did you get out quick? We have reservations at Coronado but I honestly would rather change to an Epcot based resort just to avoid the mess. When we did NYE at MK we did it where we left before 12 and then one time we stayed for midnight and that resulted in it taking 3 hours getting back to our place. I’m sure Minnie van service will be a disaster as well.

We watched the midnight fireworks at the fountain in Future World, we were on the side by Mouse Gears. As soon as the show was over we walked as quickly as possible out of the park and to the bus. I don't know if it was just good luck or what.

Without a doubt, January will have lower crowds. Xmas to NYE week is the busiest of the year.

Having said that, it's still an absolute blast if you just remember to pack your patience and holiday spirit along with your clothes.

I agree! We usually have a big family trip to the beach for Christmas and a few of us will go to MK for a day. We've gone on the 30th for the practice NYE fireworks and had an amazing time. We got there early, had a plan, packed our patience as Klayfish said, and had a blast. The snow on Main Street is nothing short of magical. I'm not sure when that ends.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter