CityWalk & Teens

SouthernMom

Earning My Ears
This will be our first time to break away from Disney and try Universal, so I'm not familiar with the layout. My husband and I would like to spend an evening (or at least have a "just the two of us" dinner) there without DS and DD. They will be 16 and 14 at the time of the trip. Would it be safe to leave them at the movie theatre there, or are there any other suggestions for a safe place for them? Of course, if the park is open late enough that would probably be the best bet. But I'm thinking it will be closing at 7:00 when we're there. Even as I'm typing this, the idea is making me nervous. LOL Any suggestions would be appreciated. Thanks!

Depending on when you are going is how late they will be open. At the two ages you mentioned they will be fine. I know of a couple of other people with kids around that age and they have been letting their kids go at around 13. Then again it depends on the kids.

We used 2-way radios last year at Disney and Universal to keep in touch with two 15 year olds. A lot of people came over or radios, but we were able to talk to the girls, just a quick check in every so often.
I can't say my daughter was thrilled with my idea, but it added to the peace of mind.

SouthernMom,

You will be fine. Just arrange a meeting time & place and give them some cash!!!

-Jon

If you feel your kids are resposible enough to handle wandering through the park while you dine then you should feel even more secure knowing the exact cineplex they are in and the times of the shows!
If you don't want to spend the money for cell phones, pagers, or 2way radios (we found the 2 ways really don't work that well in that area at any distance over a couple hundred feet) at least make sure everyone has a watch and an agreed specific meeting place to check in every 2 hours or so. I have always felt safe and secure in both parks as well as citywalk. There is lots for all ages to do and see at citywalk even without eating or shopping. My friend's teens found somewhere (might have been motown) to make a karaoke cd recording. They had a blast!
:jester:

The FRS radios do work throughout Universal. I was talking with friends from the Studios and they were in IOA. I never once had a problem getting hold of them.

If you let your kids go to the local movie theater without you, you should have not concerns about CityWalk and the movie theater there.

CityWalk is bright and active with a visible security presence. I'd venture to say it's a lot safer than most shopping malls.

If you let your kids go to the local movie theater without you, you should have no concerns about CityWalk and the movie theater there.

CityWalk is bright and active with a visible security presence. I'd venture to say it's a lot safer than most shopping malls.

The kids should be fine, at the parks, at the movie theatre...there is usually something going on outside on the main stage..band or something. There are plenty of Orlando Police officers patrolling the area.

I had no problem letting my almost 13 yr old DS stay at CW to see Tony Hawk and then come back to the HRH on his own (I did make him promise to ride to boat and take the main paths back). He said there were a lot of police and security at CW.

Thanks for all the comments... IYou've all helped me feel much better about the idea, and DH and I are now looking forward to a little just-us time! :D

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter