• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

Class of 2024!!!

JVelasquez

Loving Disney
My DS starts kindergarten in a few weeks!!!! He's my only child (so far :) !) and I can't believe school is here already! The thought of him being part of the class of 2024 is just crazy! Anyone else have a class of 2024 baby???

My DS starts kindergarten in a few weeks!!!! He's my only child (so far :) !) and I can't believe school is here already! The thought of him being part of the class of 2024 is just crazy! Anyone else have a class of 2024 baby???

WOW that looks weird in print---holy moly....

Wow it is scary to see it in print. My DD starts kindergarten this year too. I am so not ready to think far enough ahead to graduation:sad2:

I have 3 children - classes of 2020, 2021, 2023.

On the first day of school each of them went to kindergarten in there new school shirts.

At car pick up at the end of the day all the children in the school came walking out in matching t-shirts. The shirts said their school name and class of 2020 (or shich ever child it was that year).

I loved that they surprised the parents with those cute shirts on the first day of school. It also made it sink in wow - that is a long time away.

On the last day of school (kindergarten) all the kids wear the skirts again and they have all their calssmates sign the backs for a keepsake. They are so cute.

I have 3 super cute keepsakes thanks to the schools creative thinking.

I have 3 children - classes of 2020, 2021, 2023.

On the first day of school each of them went to kindergarten in there new school shirts.

At car pick up at the end of the day all the children in the school came walking out in matching t-shirts. The shirts said their school name and class of 2020 (or shich ever child it was that year).

I loved that they surprised the parents with those cute shirts on the first day of school. It also made it sink in wow - that is a long time away.

On the last day of school (kindergarten) all the kids wear the skirts again and they have all their calssmates sign the backs for a keepsake. They are so cute.

I have 3 super cute keepsakes thanks to the schools creative thinking.

Cute idea---save those and all of their activity t-shirts through the years from little league, any plays they are in, etc. and make a quilt for graduation from the t-shirts. You can use the kindergarten one for the center square on the quilt.

So I was trying to be a good DIS’er and searched to see if someone had started a Class of 2024 thread for parents of current high school freshmen. I found this and thought it was too precious not to resurrect! Even though many of the posters haven’t logged in for quite some time. Won’t they be surprised if they do log in!

You’ve probably seen the other ‘Class of’ threads on the CB that start in freshman year. I’ve enjoyed the 2021 thread for my oldest son and always read the classes ahead of mine for helpful college info, etc. So…..who has a current freshman who started high school in this completely wacky environment? My son goes to school two days a week and has no other time constraints for school whatsoever. He just has to log on and complete assignments on his own. To say he is loving this schedule would be an understatement! If school were normal he’d most likely be in the 3-D design club, so hopefully next year. He is not a sports guy, more into gaming and computer stuff.

So what is up with your freshman? Do they play sports? What are their interests? Are they liking high school so far?

I have twin boys that are freshmen in high school this year. For the most part, they are liking high school. They go to school two days one week and three days the next. They really wish they could be in school everyday. Both boys play the bass drum in the marching band. My one son is thinking of trying out for the basketball team, but I’d be surprised if he actually follows through. I know they’d like to participate in some clubs, but not much is being offered this year.

Youngest DD is a freshman this year. Funny to see how much more confident she is than my older girls were their freshman year. She’s used to being around the school and her sister is a senior so she grew up with many of the current seniors being around our house. She’s liking the hybrid mix being in school sometimes but also being home is relaxing too. Plus much of her socialing with friends is online so she feels connected. Can’t wait to see what she does over the next four years. They grow so much in high school!

How did everyone’s freshman finish out their first semester? After attending in person two days a week from August on, our district went full remote in early November. The schedule was really easy, 10 – 2 each day, as was the instruction. It seems very little has been expected of the students, according to both of my high schoolers! But we’re looking ahead to 2021 with optimism. 2020 was going to be the summer that my freshman would attend Sea Camp at TAMUG, but that was obviously cancelled. So we are awaiting registration info for 2021. Also looking in to STEM camp at the Naval Academy, which is an excellent program. The app opens in early January and admissions is competitive. This is a prime summer for these types of camps, before the kids are old enough to start working full-time summer jobs!

Were you students able to continue with sports, music programs, clubs, etc.? Hoping everyone is doing well!

Seeing the Class of 2023 thread had me wondering if there was one out there for Class of 2024. It looks like I found it! It's amazing to see that this was started when our kiddos were getting ready for Kindergarten. Actually, the day this thread was started, we had just embarked on a 2-day road trip to surprise our CO 2024 with a 5th birthday trip to WDW. She started Kinder the following week.

I don't know about the rest of you, but we're starting to feel the stress. I really don't even know where to begin with my post...partly because it's soooooooo much, and partly because I don't want to stress anyone else out with our stresses. Our junior has already taken the SAT and ACT once, accidentally sent her SAT scores to four schools :headache: even though we were planning on going the test optional route unless merit aid was involved (and her score qualified), we're now looking at which schools on her list take super scores vs. top scores so we can figure out some retesting strategies, we've done a bunch of tours and more this summer, she decided to change her high school major and career goals about a month ago after her first experience at Model UN, we're up to our eyeballs in clubs/volunteering/leadership roles, softball and varsity choir seem to take up the rest of the time, and now she wants to take a couple of dual enrollment classes this summer because there are no breaks. I joined a Facebook group a while back about paying for college that sometimes sends me over the edge. It's been helpful at times with tips on the paying part, but seeing people share stories about test scores, rejections, etc. can be scary stuff. I keep reminding myself that she's got so much positive stuff going for her, but the level of competition these days - even within her high school - is pretty astounding. It doesn't help that our younger one (Class of 2027) has goals to play ball in college. So, we're dealing with the normal stresses of a HS junior along with an 8th grader in travel ball who is starting to do outreach to college coaches about ID camps. Oh, and did I mention the massive spreadsheets I've assembled to try and keep this all straight? Yup...feeling crazy 🤪

How's everyone else doing?

Wow, how time flies. While ODS gets ready for his SAT test next month, I have been thinking about his graduation trip next summer. He doesn't know where he wants to go but it is a good way to keep me busy and not stress him or me out. :) Good luck to all of the class of 2024 students and their families.

So I was trying to be a good DIS’er and searched to see if someone had started a Class of 2024 thread for parents of current high school freshmen. I found this and thought it was too precious not to resurrect! Even though many of the posters haven’t logged in for quite some time. Won’t they be surprised if they do log in!

You’ve probably seen the other ‘Class of’ threads on the CB that start in freshman year. I’ve enjoyed the 2021 thread for my oldest son and always read the classes ahead of mine for helpful college info, etc. So…..who has a current freshman who started high school in this completely wacky environment? My son goes to school two days a week and has no other time constraints for school whatsoever. He just has to log on and complete assignments on his own. To say he is loving this schedule would be an understatement! If school were normal he’d most likely be in the 3-D design club, so hopefully next year. He is not a sports guy, more into gaming and computer stuff.

So what is up with your freshman? Do they play sports? What are their interests? Are they liking high school so far?
Wow, it’s amazing this thread was started almost twelve years ago! Good that you did a search!

I don’t have a child who’s a member of this class, but I just wanted to chime in to your second paragraph to say I can feel your angst! And if it’s any consolation, it mirrors how I was feeling myself when we were at that stage. I had twins and one was playing ball in college, too, so it felt in a way like I had three - all at once! I had to have a notebook to keep everything straight. They’ve been done with school for three years now, so boy, it does all go by fast!

I also wanted to offer this tip that someone else posted here way back when, and it really helped me. You don’t have to have a goal of being “debt free” for it to make sense, either. It was written by a (at the time) college senior who found himself having to pay for college all on his own. He gives a lot of tips and things to think about that can help all of us.

Good luck, everyone! It is really daunting trying to get this all figured out! But you will!

1680292623804.jpeg

https://www.amazon.com/Debt-Free-Outstanding-Education-Scholarships-Mooching/dp/1591842980

I’m dying laughing that someone re-resurrected this thread! Thank you!

He finally got his driver’s license last month. Planning for ACT and prom next month. And he’s awaiting next steps for summer apprenticeship opportunities with Lockheed and a few other major players!

DD17 is HS class of 2024. She is finished with college search, ACT, SAT, and recently was accepted into the summer college credit program at her dream college…she is hoping that (a) she does well this summer and (b) a transcript from her dream school gives her an advantage when applying in the fall to that same dream school.
I think back to when she was 4 yo and we had to, literally, drag her to the kids club on our Disney cruises so we could have one night at Palo (she dislikes being around people she didn’t know), and now she wants to move states away to go to a school that she believes is filled with “her type of people.” Time flies!

Our school year ended last week. DD16 is now officially a senior in high school. 🥺 She's taking two dual enrollment courses this summer for college credits and this weekend will be her first re-take of the SAT. She's just hoping to get a little bit higher to qualify for a little more merit aid, especially with out of state tuition waivers. We're casting a wide net, so we haven't been able to see every school of interest in person, but we have plans to pop by a few of them that align with the younger one's summer travel ball schedule. It's hard to believe she's now officially a freshman (guess I need to find a 2027 thread for her!). Part of me wishes she could just relax over the summer. We didn't have to go through any of this when we were preparing for college, but the rest of her summer will be filled with a variety of other prep items for her senior year (choir convocation, region/all state camp, theater, etc.), more volunteering, and the bowling club (I have no idea how she latched onto this!). Happy Summer :)

Hi!! Class of 2024 parent here! This time for my DS16. Time flies. It’s so different this time around. My DD19 class of ‘22 was much more self directed and did a lot of the college search and all that jazz on her own.
My DS is wayyy less motivated and needs lots of guidance. His grades are average and he isn’t really set on what he wants to major in.
He seems to love chemistry and computer classes and got A’s in both.
He loves music and has done 3 years of rowing which he really loves! He is also in marching band.
Let’s see where this path takes us!

Good luck to all!

Last edited:

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter