College Program Parents Thread...

My dd checked in on the 19th and is living in Chatham. So far she is loving it! She has one apartment mate that is going home already....it wasn't what she expected. So they are down to 5 of them in the apartment. Will they fill that opening with someone else?

My dd checked in on the 19th and is living in Chatham. So far she is loving it! She has one apartment mate that is going home already....it wasn't what she expected. So they are down to 5 of them in the apartment. Will they fill that opening with someone else?

Most likely, although it may take a while for someone to move in. There are several arrival dates coming up, so it's possible they'll have someone new move in (next one is this coming Wednesday).

Where is she working?

Dropped off my DD. She is staying at Chatham, and is in one of the 4 bedroom units. Its still very early, but so far she seems to really be enjoying it. We are still learning about her schedule, etc. One good thing I learned is what EPCOT really stands for. Its "Employee Paychecks Come On Thursday". :)

She is in Fantasyland working between Pooh, Snow White and the Tea cups. She is having a blast!:woohoo:

That is awsome!

Dropped off my DD. She is staying at Chatham, and is in one of the 4 bedroom units. Its still very early, but so far she seems to really be enjoying it. We are still learning about her schedule, etc. One good thing I learned is what EPCOT really stands for. Its "Employee Paychecks Come On Thursday". :)

Ah, Chatham. I love it there.

Hi all. I've been a Disboard member for awhile. Been a WDW fanatic since I can remember. I've got twins - 19 years old. One is a Math Ed major, the other a Hotel/Resort Management major - attending separate colleges. They just finished their first year! :cool1: Yeah!

I am interested in finding out as much as I possibly can about the Disney College Program specifically for my son - the Hotel/Resort Mgmt major - if not for both of my kids, and I really don't know where to start. I don't see much information on the collegeprogram website for parents, so I'm going to post here.

I'm going to start at square one:

What's the difference between the "college program", and the "career start program"?

What if the college presentations are not given at the college my son is attending? (I once saw a list and his school wasn't on it, although a S.U.N.Y. close by was) He attends S.U.N.Y. Delhi in upstate NY.

If his college doesn't host the Disney presentation does that mean they don't except any credits he earns there? Can he still apply and attend the CP?

When do the presentations come around for a Spring 09 program? When would he apply?

What type of criteria does a student have to meet to be considered for the program? GPA, extra curricular, etc? I see talk on the boards about interviews, this is part of being accepted? How long is the interview, where does it take place? Do you have to go down to FLA for the interview or can it be done over the phone or at the students college?

What is the minimum GPA accepted? He is a struggling student who had special services in high school and chose not to have special services in college (he's really trying to do it himself).

Does time spent in the CP count as credits to college, or does a student have to attend classes while there? If so, do all colleges accept those credits?

Is it worth it for an education major to do the program? My daughter is interested but isn't sure how it will benefit her as a math ed major.

If the student isn't accepted into the program the first time he tries can he reapply for the following semester, and on and on?

That's it for now, I'm sure I'll have so many more questions. Any answers any of you can provide would be very much appreciated.

What's the difference between the "college program", and the "career start program"?

In order to participate in the College Program you must have completed at least one semester of college, where as the careerstart program you must have graduated high school in the last 48 months.
What if the college presentations are not given at the college my son is attending? (I once saw a list and his school wasn't on it, although a S.U.N.Y. close by was) He attends S.U.N.Y. Delhi in upstate NY.

There is an online presentation he can view on the college program website.

If his college doesn't host the Disney presentation does that mean they don't except any credits he earns there? Can he still apply and attend the CP?

As far as credits you would need to talk to an advisor at the school as to what sort of credit (if any) will be given. Even if the school does not accept credit for it he would still be able to apply and participate in the program.

When do the presentations come around for a Spring 09 program? When would he apply?

The presentations for the spring program will probably start in late Sept/early Oct. He would apply around the time he views the presentation. If he views the only presentation he would call to schedule an interview and fill out the application with the roles he would be interested in.
What type of criteria does a student have to meet to be considered for the program? GPA, extra curricular, etc? I see talk on the boards about interviews, this is part of being accepted? How long is the interview, where does it take place? Do you have to go down to FLA for the interview or can it be done over the phone or at the students college?

You must be in good standing at your college. Yes, interviews are part of being accepted. The interviews can be as short as 15 min to as long as 30 min (possibly longer). He would have an interview over the phone or if he views a presentation they may interview right there (though they may not).

What is the minimum GPA accepted? He is a struggling student who had special services in high school and chose not to have special services in college (he's really trying to do it himself).

I believe a 2.0 is acceptable. Basically he must be in good standing with his college.

Does time spent in the CP count as credits to college, or does a student have to attend classes while there? If so, do all colleges accept those credits?

Again the credit issue would need to be discussed by an advisor at his college. There are classes offered for participants but they are not mandatory and you can look at the class description, syllabus, etc. on the college program website.

Is it worth it for an education major to do the program? My daughter is interested but isn't sure how it will benefit her as a math ed major.

Any person with any major can apply to the program. It could benefit her in the sense of it being an amazing experience, and you meet amazing people.

If the student isn't accepted into the program the first time he tries can he reapply for the following semester, and on and on?

Yes, if a person is not accepted for one season they may apply for another season.

This is just what I have learned from my experience with Disney, there are many more people on here that know more about the program. Just know that it was an amazing experience for me and I am actually going down in three weeks to start a Professional Internship with Disney.

I'm going to start at square one:

That's it for now, I'm sure I'll have so many more questions. Any answers any of you can provide would be very much appreciated.

1) the College Program is for people in college. The only requirement is that you are at least 18, and completed at least 1 semester. The CS is for people out of HS.

2) You can view the presentation online (the E-Presentation). Then you just call to set up an interview.

3) It doesn't matter. I know people who have done the CP without credits. Also, you may still be able to get credit even if the school doesn't host the CP.

4) Disney will start recruiting for Spring 2009 in late Sept/early Oct.

5) The only requirements for the CP are: at least 18, completed one semester, is a current student (PT/FT), is in good standing with the school, and has a good personal record.

6) It varies by school, but usually is it a 2.0 GPA.

7) It can. People can get credits for doing the CP. I have.

8) Yes. It is worth it for every major.

9) Yes. You can retry if not accepted the first time.

Anyone had any experience with getting a Cast Member Discount Hotel Reservation for their family/friends? I know my DD Cast member needs to go somewhere on the Hub, but she is having a hard time figuring it out.

Appreciate the help!

Anyone had any experience with getting a Cast Member Discount Hotel Reservation for their family/friends? I know my DD Cast member needs to go somewhere on the Hub, but she is having a hard time figuring it out.

Appreciate the help!

I have. I have used it twice now (including for Aug). It's pretty simple to do.:)

Here is what you do:
1) Once on the HUB, go to the WDW Resort Rooms Discount button.
2) Click on the Make a Reservation button.
3) Here you get 2 choices: for yourself (the CM aka Higher discount) or Family/Friends (this is where the CM doesn't have to stay, but it's less). Choose which one you are doing.
4) Choose the date you are staying, and the total # of your party.
5) You can now pick a resort. If there is availability, the price will be shown. If there isn't, it will say so.

Hi there
My DD is leaving on sunday for 9 magical weeks we are joining her at the end of august .:dance3: :dance3:
Flight booked :yay: but need the discounted accomodation.
Thank you for information .
But excuse my ignorance what is the HUB:confused3
:worship:

Hi there
My DD is leaving on sunday for 9 magical weeks we are joining her at the end of august .:dance3: :dance3:
Flight booked :yay: but need the discounted accomodation.
Thank you for information .
But excuse my ignorance what is the HUB:confused3
:worship:

Unfortunately, room discounts aren't available for your daughter until she has collected her company ID and has completed Traditions - The Walt Disney Company's orientation, which generally takes place on the third day after check-in.

For reasonably priced hotel rooms near Vista Way (check-in location and one of the housing complexes), many participants stay at the Holiday Inn Sunspree, which is literally across the street. Otherwise, search for hotels on popular travel sites in the "Lake Buena Vista" area.

Of course, rooms at Disney resorts may be available, and possibly at a publicly discounted rate. Check out the Codes and Rates board to see what all is out there. Also important to note: none of the discounts or park admission benefits begin until your daughter receives her company ID, which again won't likely be until the third day after check-in.

After she has completed Traditions, she should have access to The HUB, the company's internet portal. In order for her to book a room reservation, all she'll need to do is login and look for the link that reads "WDW Resort Room Discount", and she'll be directed to the right place.

Hi
Thank you but I am sure she will have enough time to make a booking just not sure what she has to do or where to go .:confused3
What is the Hub.:confused3
thanks

Hi
Thank you but I am sure she will have enough time to make a booking just not sure what she has to do or where to go .:confused3
What is the Hub.:confused3
thanks

It's the company's internal internet portal, which has a lot of information and resources for Cast Members. It's available at disneyteam.disney.com, and is restricted to Cast Member and employee use only. After she finishes Traditions, she can register (if she hasn't yet done so) at any Disney Learning Center (one is located right at Vista Way), or any computer on the company's network. After she has completed that, all she has to do is login and click "WDW Resort Room Discounts" (on the bottom right-hand side of the page), and she'll be directed to a site that is very similar to disneyworld.com for booking.

If she has any difficulty, she can ask the Cast Members at the Learning Center or those in her area. She can also call 407-WDW-CAST for assistance.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

Latest posts

facebook twitter