collision coverage on rental cars

violet13

Mouseketeer
We plan on renting a car with unlimited mileage from Pa to drive to Disney World. We have no "collision" on our vehicles, only liability- because they are very old and not worth anything. We do have a "gold" credit card that claims they will pick up the Collision part when we rent the car. Wanted to know...is this safe, can we trust the credit card Co in case of an accident or theft (not sure if that is covered).????? Anybody had a bad experience, or used their credit card (only as primary collision) for a rental car???? Thank you, we are thinking of renting from Avis....any advice there also greatly appreciated. :confused:

If your credit card company says they cover you in the event of an accident, I wouldnt bother opting for the optional coverage when you rent the car. That can add up to at least 25dollars a day. I am a travel coordinator for the company I work for, and we have never had a problem with the credit card companies covering any type of damage/loss.

Check with the credit card company to see what the deductible is, that is your responsibility, you might thing about purchasing the waiver which would cover the deductible. usually runs about $8 to $9 a day.

Check with your credit card company before hand...but, just make sure you're covered somehow!!

We declined Avis' coverage and thought our gold card would suffice. First morning there we were hit in the parking lot! Ouch! Called credit company and they would not cover it, so I had to turn it in on regular insurance. What I wouldn't give to travel back in time and just pay Avis their fee....

So, just make sure you're covered one way or another!

we checked into this too and was surprised to find that the credit card company wounld not cover us at all if we purchased any additonal insurance but would cover us fully without.

Many auto policies pay for damage to rental cars even if you don't have collision (NY). Most of the credit card coverages (Diners Club is the exception) are secondary and require you to put in a claim with your own policy first.

Call your insurance company and see if you can add an endorsement for the rental car.

I was recently hit by a car when I was making a left turn in a truck that I rented haul something home. Because I was turning I was cited even though he hit me in the rear right. I had rented on American Express who claimed they had no responsibility. I had to turn it in to my insurance.

Especially if you rent a truck, SUV, 4WD, or van check that anything will cover it before you refuse their insurance. I'm just hoping my car insurance will pay for it.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter