Colonial Williamsburg without ticket purchase?

So much this. Why on earth should it matter that the buildings are reconstructed? They're extremely accurate reconstructions, and like you said, it's really the living history that's most important anyway. I've had fantastic highly immersive experiences with everyone from George Washington to the governor's daughter who visibly recoiled when I told her I was from Florida and asked how I managed to survive in the savage lands. I've served as a juror on a witch trial and argued battle tactics and enjoyed a Magic Lantern show. All highly authentic and incredibly well researched. I mean, it wasn't the real George Washington either....
One of the highlights for me was an audience with Lord Dunmore where I more than held my own bantering about the politics of the time. I also used to donate to CWF and was able to participate in some events they would do for donors only. One of them was an audience with Marquise de Lafayette at the St. George Tucker House and on another occasion, Thomas Jefferson. The first half of the program was as the historical figure. The Marquis or Jefferson would then leave and then Mark Schneider or Bill Barker would "return" and would talk about what went into recreating the historical figures. The amount of information these men know about the person they're interpreting is amazing.

One of the highlights for me was an audience with Lord Dunmore where I more than held my own bantering about the politics of the time. I also used to donate to CWF and was able to participate in some events they would do for donors only. One of them was an audience with Marquise de Lafayette at the St. George Tucker House and on another occasion, Thomas Jefferson. The first half of the program was as the historical figure. The Marquis or Jefferson would then leave and then Mark Schneider or Bill Barker would "return" and would talk about what went into recreating the historical figures. The amount of information these men know about the person they're interpreting is amazing.
That's so fun! One of my favorite memories was when we were in town for three weeks and I got to be pretty good friends with one of the actors who did the period theater shows. It was during the British occupation, so tons of extra reenactors in town. My friend invited me to an after-hours cast party at Chowning's. It was so much fun getting to know a bunch of the regular cast and the British reenactors, and learning about all their research and techniques. And I may have learned a few songs of the era that are waaaay too bawdy for the regular family audience.

We went the first time when my daughter was 10- she loved it so much there but we were only there for 2 days- 2 years later we went back and spent 4 days there (including 4th of July!) and it was great. SO much to do and see!

Williamsburg and Jamestown are why my daughter is studying to be an Archeologist. When we lived in the area (hubby was posted at Eustis) when he was deployed Williamsburg was my sanity. On a lot of weekends and most days off of school (and York County has a LOT of them) I would take a book and we would go to Williamsburg. I would sit on a bench and read while she watched the Coffeehouse grow from a hole in the ground to a completed building open for interpreters and guests. We went often and she even had her own, not a rented, costume. The interpreters knew her and involved her in their interpretations. The printer often had her explain things to other kids and found errands for her to run for him. The archeologists and craftsmen there are amazing. Every single one of them will make time to talk, explain, and engage visitors. We went back the Christmas pre-covid so she could revisit the place that formed her dreams after she had been accepted into the Archeology program at University of Evansville. People at both Williamsburg and Jamestown gave her information on internships and asked her to apply. As they formed her dreams, they see her as their own dreams of what they do coming true.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter