Colorado vacation...where to start!

amsafko

DIS Veteran
We are a family of 5 (3 kids ages will be 8, 6, and 3). I'm trying to plan out our trip next year (summer). We've all expressed an interest in going to the Rocky Mountains. I was looking into dude ranches/guest ranches. I'm overwhelmed and don't know where to start. Here's what we want to do and if there are any experts out there, maybe you could provide some direction....
-horsebackriding
-swimming
-hiking (only for beginners)
-lots of activities for children but not at a crazy hectic pace (such as panning for gold, campfires)

I'm trying to determine if we should do an all inclusive place or stay at a lodge/hotel and try to plan these activities on our own.

If anyone knows of any ranches, resorts, hotels that would be good (and somewhat reasonable) that you would recommend I would really appreciate it.

Thanks so much!

We have never stayed at a ranch but I can recommend staying in Breckenridge, Colorado It is a small ski town that also has great summer activities. It has all the things you mentioned but you have to book them on your own. They also have a great recreation center that has a huge indoor pool with a water slide.

Steamboat springs is amazing in the wintertime, but I'm not sure what they offer in the summer. It's such a neat town. Also, we love Estes Park anytime of the year!

I live in Colorado outside of Colorado Springs. There are so many places to go and things to do, it's hard to know where to start.

There are tons of Dude and guest ranches and they are expensive, but will give you an experience you can't do on your own. There are many major areas for what you are looking for.

There are the areas around Pikes Peak. Activities include the Cog Railroad, Manitou Cliff Dwelling, Wind Cave, Garden of the Gods, The Pikes Peak Highway and Seven Falls. Not too far away in Canon City is the Royal Gorge.

South Central has the Sangre De Cristo Mountains and Great Sand Dunes National Park.

Central Colorado around Salida and Buena Vista has the Sawatch Range and the headwaters of the Arkansas River.

Along the I-70 Corridor, there is Summit County (Breckenridge, Frisco, Dillon). There are lots of summer activities and Summit County has amazing paved Bike rails throughout the Valley. You can usually rent condos very cheaply in the summer time.

Further on I-70 are Vail, then Glenwood Springs and Aspen, with Hot Springs, hiking and biking. The Maroon Bells are near Aspen and is amazing.

Rocky Mountain National Park is near Estes Park and is spectacular. There are Ranger hikes and talks.

You can also go Southwest in to the San Juans and the towns of Ouray, Telluride and Durango. This area is my personal favorite. There are community Hot springs in Ouray, spectacualr views, plus you can go down to Mesa Verde to see the Anasazi Cliff Dwellings.

The Steamboat Area is less touristy in the summer, but there are good dude ranches up there.

Other fun places are the Black Canyon of the Gunnison National Park, Crested Butte, and Gunnison.

My best suggestion to figure out exactly what you want to do, how long you have to do it and then pick an area that will give you it all at the best price.

Hi from a flatlander in Iowa. We got out west and up about every 3 years. Be
cautious about altitude changes. (2 kids and 2 adults). 3 of us get ill at 9000 ft.
We learned the hard way to go up slow. IE Denver first and see how hard it is for the young ones to even walk a short ways. It is not really about fitness or about asthma, read up a bit before you go, please.

I'd get a cabin in Estes Park right outside of Rocky Mountain National Park and stay here for a week. There are wonderful (absolutely breathtaking) family friendly hikes (Bear Lake area is a good starting point). The drive up Trail Ridge Road is really fun too -- stop at all the lookout points on the way and take the nature hike and visit the gift shop at the top. The Rocky at Night ranger guided tour is a wonderful program to do with kids. The YMCA of the rockies has some fun family friendly horse back riding trips you could sign up for. Estes Park has kid fun activities (mini golf / go karts / etc.), gift shops, resturants, etc. There's a fish in the barrel place or fish at the National Park for trout -- kid can use live bait (adults can't) and you can catch lots of rainbow trout. You'll see tons of Elk -- on our last trip we saw deer and big horn sheep as well as smaller critters too. Lots of resort have playgrounds, mini golf, swimming pools, and hot tubs. Anywhere you go in Colorado is nice. But Rocky Mountain National Park is really special and would we my pick any day. There is plenty to do here for a whole week.

If you're considering Estes Park, my favorite place to stay is the Historic Ranger cabin at Elk Meadow Campground that borders Rocky Mountain National Park. The cabin sleep six and is so comfy and comfortable. There is a fire ring not that far from the cabin. Check with the staff, but I think you could use that area to make a fire. On our last trip, for the whole area there was a no campfire rule due to dry weather. The cabin has a wood burning stove, a cute kitchen with full sized applicances (no dishwasher, though), overstuffed comfy chairs and couch with TV. You won't have housekeeping, but I think it would be a really fun place to stay for your family. There is a really warm swimming pool and hot tub, free mini golf, a playground, etc. Coin laundry facilities are available onsite too and there are a few orgainized activities you can participate in if you like. You'll see lots of Elk on the property every night. It's a quick drive into town too. If you can't get the ranger cabin, though, stay somewhere else. The other little cabins at the Elk Meadow Campground are more like trailers with uncomfortable futon beds -- not the case at all with the historic ranger cabin. The YMCA of the Rockies that has the horseback riding is a very short drive down the road -- another property that borders the National park that is very family friendly. I think your best best would be to get a cabin or condo at a family friendly resort. If that doesn't work out, though, you might want to consider a lodge room at the YMCA of the Rockies. Check out their website for all the family friendly activities they have. I've never stayed there, but hear great reports from people who go there regularly.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter