"comfort dogs"

smidgy

dimples
this has nothing to do with WDW, I am a waitress, at the restaurant, I have a couple who are regular customers. they brought in their friend and his daughter. great! new customers. after a while, the friend brought in a lady friend with a "comfort" dog. was wearing a vestlike thing sat quietly at her feet.. I thought, "that's nice". been back a few times.
there doesn't seem to be anything wrong with the lady friend. I don't really care, , none of my business.
tonight they came in with an extra dog, now they EACH have a "comfort" dog. (now, there is nothing wrong with the friend, but it seems the dog is his. this dog is a big puppy, so he is more friendly, not just sitting there (like you expect service dogs to do. this dog is kinda looking at me, following me as to what I'm putting on the table, walking from seat to seat. (generally,, being a "dog").
didn't bother me (well, except I had to walk way around the table a lot to avoid the dog. extra steps, but so what)
my question to you on this board: what is a"comfort" dog?
is it ok in a restaurant? (business is slow, and I really dont' want to turn them away) is it just an excuse to bring your dog in with you? what would I say if other customers are bothered?
I'm not being snarky I really like these people, but there really is nothing wrong with them, socially or anything.
thanks for your help.

The following is taken from Page 56177 of the September 15, 2010 Federal Register related to the update of the Americans With Disabilities Act (ADA).

Service animal means any dog that is individually trained to do work or perform tasks for the benefit of an individual with a disability, including a physical, sensory, psychiatric, intellectual, or other mental disability. Other species of animals, whether wild or domestic, trained or untrained, are not service animals for the purposes of this definition. The work or tasks performed by a service animal must be directly related to the handler's disability. Examples of work or tasks include, but are not limited to, assisting individuals who are blind or have low vision with navigation and other tasks, alerting individuals who are deaf or hard of hearing to the presence of people or sounds, providing non-violent protection or rescue work, pulling a wheelchair, assisting an individual during a seizure, alerting individuals to the presence of allergens, retrieving items such as medicine or the telephone, providing physical support and assistance with balance and stability to individuals with mobility disabilities, and helping persons with psychiatric and neurological disabilities by preventing or interrupting impulsive or destructive behaviors. The crime deterrent effects of an animal's presence and the provision of emotional support, well-being, comfort, or companionship do not constitute work or tasks for the purposes of this definition.
(bolding added)

In addition, on page 56178 it continues to say
(f) Inquiries. A public entity shall not ask about the nature or extent of a person's disability, but may make two inquiries to determine whether an animal qualifies as a service animal. A public entity may ask if the animal is required because of a disability and what work or task the animal has been trained to perform. A public entity shall not require documentation, such as proof that the animal has been certified, trained, or licensed as a service animal. Generally, a public entity may not make these inquiries about a service animal when it is readily apparent that an animal is trained to do work or perform tasks for an individual with a disability (e.g., the dog is observed guiding an individual who is blind or has low vision, pulling a person's wheelchair, or providing assistance with stability or balance to an individual with an observable mobility disability).
(g) Access to areas of a public entity. Individuals with disabilities shall be permitted to be accompanied by their service animals in all areas of a public entity's facilities where members of the public, participants in services, programs or activities, or invitees, as relevant, are allowed to go.
So basically an "emotional support dog" is not a service animal and not required to be allowed in any public location as it is only a pet.

this has nothing to do with WDW, I am a waitress, at the restaurant, I have a couple who are regular customers. they brought in their friend and his daughter. great! new customers. after a while, the friend brought in a lady friend with a "comfort" dog. was wearing a vestlike thing sat quietly at her feet.. I thought, "that's nice". been back a few times.
there doesn't seem to be anything wrong with the lady friend. I don't really care, , none of my business.
tonight they came in with an extra dog, now they EACH have a "comfort" dog. (now, there is nothing wrong with the friend, but it seems the dog is his. this dog is a big puppy, so he is more friendly, not just sitting there (like you expect service dogs to do. this dog is kinda looking at me, following me as to what I'm putting on the table, walking from seat to seat. (generally,, being a "dog").
didn't bother me (well, except I had to walk way around the table a lot to avoid the dog. extra steps, but so what)
my question to you on this board: what is a"comfort" dog?
is it ok in a restaurant? (business is slow, and I really dont' want to turn them away) is it just an excuse to bring your dog in with you? what would I say if other customers are bothered?
I'm not being snarky I really like these people, but there really is nothing wrong with them, socially or anything.
thanks for your help.

Just curious...did they introduce the dog(s) as comfort animals?

:)

Sounds to me like they might not be certified service dogs but are wearing vests to appear that way.......In order to be allowed in ALL venues they MUST be a certified service animal.

Yes....comfort dogs, aka emotional support dogs are NOT allowed in public places where pets are not allowed. The presence of a vest does not guarantee that any dog is a trained service dog. If a dog is misbehaving, even if it is a trained service dog, then the patron can legally be asked to remove it from the premises. Trust me, I've had more than one nasty encounter with people passing off a pet as a service dog.---Kathy

Do service dogs have some type of paperwork apart from the vest that shows them as such? and can they be asked to show it if there is question?

Sounds to me like they might not be certified service dogs but are wearing vests to appear that way.......In order to be allowed in ALL venues they MUST be a certified service animal.

Do service dogs have some type of paperwork apart from the vest that shows them as such? and can they be asked to show it if there is question?

Please see my second quote in Post #2 above.

There are three things that can legally be asked:

1. Are you disabled? ( if the disability isn't visible)
2. Is your dog a service dog?
3. What tasks does your dog do for you that you are unable to do for yourself?

A dog whose mere presence offers comfort to a person is not a service dog. Emotional support dogs are allowed in housing where pets are not allowed, but not in public.---Kathy

A dog whose mere presence offers comfort to a person is not a service dog. Emotional support dogs are allowed in housing where pets are not allowed, but not in public.---Kathy

:thumbsup2:

Yes....comfort dogs, aka emotional support dogs are NOT allowed in public places where pets are not allowed. The presence of a vest does not guarantee that any dog is a trained service dog. If a dog is misbehaving, even if it is a trained service dog, then the patron can legally be asked to remove it from the premises. Trust me, I've had more than one nasty encounter with people passing off a pet as a service dog.---Kathy
::yes::
People can (and do) buy service dog vests on the internet.
When I was on a walk one day with DD's Service Dog (without DD), someone asked if she could pet him because he was so cute. I asked her to wait while I told him it was OK since he is a Service Dog.
We talked a little about dogs and she asked some questions about what sorts of things he was trained to do for DD. She said they had an old dog, but that when he died "I want our next dog to be a Service Dog because we go camping a lot and there are too many places you are not allowed to bring your dog."
I asked if she had a disability and her reply was , "No, but every older person could use a dog to pick things up for them." I explained the person had to have an actual disability to have a Service Dog. I'm pretty sure she'll still get a "Service Dog" for her next dog.
In Minnesota, where we are from, there is a state law that says service dogs must be trained by a recognized trainer, certified and registered. As was already posted, according to the ADA, a person using a service dog can't be required to have a vest or special marking on the dog or have any special papers.
Most people do have a SD vest for their dog. I know for our dog, it's kind of like his uniform and he knows there are things he can't do when he is in uniform (like play with other dogs).

I always forget the first one; but that is an important one.

Since this is not related to WDW, I am going to move it to the disABILITIES Community Board, where it will be perfectly on subject.

Its what I tell people all the time. VESTS MEAN NOTHING! Lol!

Ok ok..before anyone freaks out vests can mean something, but they are by no means always, uncontrivertable proof.

In practical terms it is a dog formally trained to acomplish tasks to meet a specific need(s) related to indviduals disability.

As with almost everything ADA it is self declaring, like every other accomodation there are always some people who will "cheat".

In practical terms it is a dog formally trained to acomplish tasks to meet a specific need(s) related to indviduals disability.

To clarify-A service animal is trained to meet a need (or needs) of a disabled person.

A comfort animal is not and therefore is not covered by the ADA (to be allowed in public).

I have been pondering this information over night. I think the term comfort animal and what the ADA allows and disallows in concerns to it is a bit of a black hole or grey area. As someone who has panic disorder and PTSD due to domestic violence I could use a service dog with the skills to calm me down in a panic attack. This would be so much healthier than say constantly popping Xanax.

The dog I have serves me in that area already. Since he is not trained officially I guess he falls under comfort dog. If I got one trained officially would that one then get the rights and privileges my little Kiba does not receive. Kiba does everything under instinct you see. In fact this morning He threw a tantrum because he knows I am on edge. He did not want me leaving the house without him to protect me. It was kind of funny.

I understand that many people abuse this situation. I also think though there are many great dogs out there who like Kiba want to do these things eagerly for their people.

I have been pondering this information over night. I think the term comfort animal and what the ADA allows and disallows in concerns to it is a bit of a black hole or grey area. As someone who has panic disorder and PTSD due to domestic violence I could use a service dog with the skills to calm me down in a panic attack. This would be so much healthier than say constantly popping Xanax.

The dog I have serves me in that area already. Since he is not trained officially I guess he falls under comfort dog. If I got one trained officially would that one then get the rights and privileges my little Kiba does not receive. Kiba does everything under instinct you see. In fact this morning He threw a tantrum because he knows I am on edge. He did not want me leaving the house without him to protect me. It was kind of funny.

I understand that many people abuse this situation. I also think though there are many great dogs out there who like Kiba want to do these things eagerly for their people.

That is the opposite of a comfort dog! A dog to assist mental health patients does not throw a tantrum in reaction to stress.

To clarify-A service animal is trained to meet a need (or needs) of a disabled person.

A comfort animal is not and therefore is not covered by the ADA (to be allowed in public).

thank you all for your responses.

see, first it was just this one couple. she has had a stroke, walks with a cane, and doesn't speak well. they always request me because I have learned to understand her. and I take the time to chat with her, even though she is hard to understand.

after about a year, they started bringin in a male friend and his teen daughter. and then sometimes he and his daughter came in on their own. loved the food, the place, the service. yay!!! (business is slow, people don't have $ to eat out much anymore)

then they ALL come in together again. then the male friend has a lady friend with a dog. they tell me a "comfort" dog.
well, this dog acts JUST like any service dog I have seen at WDW or elsewhere. just sits there by the lady, ignores everyone else. (now, this dog is NOT for the woman who had the stroke, mind you)
they have been back a few times, and it didn't bother me at all (or anyone else) (and if it bothered anyone else, I could just "say" the dog was for the woman with the cane, no one would question that)
it was this last time. now they are a party of 6,(yay!) with TWO dogs!.. um.. oops? I am told this is ALso a comfort dog. but this one is a puppy.
I guess it's "his" dog. but it's NOT just sitting there. it's walking around the table a bit. curious as to what I'm doing, what I'm putting on the table. wagging it's tail. looking to be petted .. (NO, I didn't pet it, of course, I'm handling peoples' food)..
after all your responses, I think it is just an excuse to bring their "comfort " dog with them. they did not "need" them. I couldn't see any purpose the dog was serving at all.
the first dog alone.. I don't think most people would have blinked an eye at. they would have just seen it, seen the vest and thought, "hmm, must be needed, dog is quiet, just sitting there". but the "puppy"? (they were the same size,like spaniels)
I hate to chase away regular customers,but I also hate to chase away possible new customers who might not like eating in a restaurants with dogs.
hoo boy.. what to do?what to do?
( and, yes, it was a mite irritating to have to walk around an extra couple tables to serve the food, since the puppy was blocking my way, but it was an irritant I can easily put up with for such nice people. and there was no one else at those tables. but I guess that isn't the point?)

Just curious...did they introduce the dog(s) as comfort animals?

:)

yes. they said "he is a comfort dog." but i never saw the dog(s) perform ANY duties that the owner might require.

(for example, at POFQ, there were 3 adults in the pool with a service dog. the dog lied at the side of the pool and did nothing but stare at one of the adults. you could just TELL this dog was totally set on making sure this adult would be ok.)

thank you all for your responses.

see, first it was just this one couple. she has had a stroke, walks with a cane, and doesn't speak well. they always request me because I have learned to understand her. and I take the time to chat with her, even though she is hard to understand.

after about a year, they started bringin in a male friend and his teen daughter. and then sometimes he and his daughter came in on their own. loved the food, the place, the service. yay!!! (business is slow, people don't have $ to eat out much anymore)

then they ALL come in together again. then the male friend has a lady friend with a dog. they tell me a "comfort" dog.
well, this dog acts JUST like any service dog I have seen at WDW or elsewhere. just sits there by the lady, ignores everyone else. (now, this dog is NOT for the woman who had the stroke, mind you)
they have been back a few times, and it didn't bother me at all (or anyone else) (and if it bothered anyone else, I could just "say" the dog was for the woman with the cane, no one would question that)
it was this last time. now they are a party of 6,(yay!) with TWO dogs!.. um.. oops? I am told this is ALso a comfort dog. but this one is a puppy.
I guess it's "his" dog. but it's NOT just sitting there. it's walking around the table a bit. curious as to what I'm doing, what I'm putting on the table. wagging it's tail. looking to be petted .. (NO, I didn't pet it, of course, I'm handling peoples' food)..
after all your responses, I think it is just an excuse to bring their "comfort " dog with them. they did not "need" them. I couldn't see any purpose the dog was serving at all.
the first dog alone.. I don't think most people would have blinked an eye at. they would have just seen it, seen the vest and thought, "hmm, must be needed, dog is quiet, just sitting there". but the "puppy"? (they were the same size,like spaniels)
I hate to chase away regular customers,but I also hate to chase away possible new customers who might not like eating in a restaurants with dogs.
hoo boy.. what to do?what to do?
( and, yes, it was a mite irritating to have to walk around an extra couple tables to serve the food, since the puppy was blocking my way, but it was an irritant I can easily put up with for such nice people. and there was no one else at those tables. but I guess that isn't the point?)

A business does have the "right" to ask if a person is disabled and if the animal is a service animal. If so they can ask what tasks the animal is trained to do to assist them.

Even if all those conditions have been met, a "disruptive" service animal can be asked to leave (the owner may return without the animal so as not to deny service to the person).

I am told this is ALso a comfort dog. but this one is a puppy. I guess it's "his" dog. but it's NOT just sitting there. it's walking around the table a bit. curious as to what I'm doing, what I'm putting on the table. wagging it's tail. looking to be petted .. (NO, I didn't pet it, of course, I'm handling peoples' food)..

Wouldn't this be considered a safety hazard? Isn't even a true service dog required to NOT be a hazard (of course we all know a true service dog wouldn't actually do this, but that's beside the point)? I thought that if a service dog creates some kind of hazard (and I don't mean because of idiots who don't understand it's job; I mean things like this where he's getting underfoot or creating some kind of danger for others) that he would be expected to leave. Am I wrong about this? Wouldn't this dog, regardless of his designation, be required to leave a restaurant?

I'm allergic to dogs. I can't eat in somebody's home if they have a dog. A service dog isn't moving around or being petted or played with so therefore his dander isn't ending up in the air or on surfaces around him. A dog like this who is moving around and wagging his tail and trying to get attention would result in me walking out of the restaurant because he IS spreading dander which is unhealthy for me due to my allergies.

OP, I understand that you don't want to lose business, but really, this person is taking advantage and really isn't doing any favours to your business or this poor dog.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter