Coming from NY. This is horrible

Bashing Fl doesn't help. If you don't feel comfortable, you have a choice.

Well, since Florida is one of the hotspots now keeping the USA from getting close to normal yet again, it deserves at least a little whack, doesn't it? We knew how to keep COVID from spreading. Anyone getting it now is stupid (except first responders and employees forced to work) and also deserves a whack, IMO.
I think each in state their own way have done awful job. Just my humble op

MA shut down pretty quickly, opened up very slowly. We had that initial issue in Boston from a conference, and that caused a lot of problems because it happened so early in the pandemic. Sadly, people in my area here in MA are starting to give up wearing masks and social distancing, so we are seeing a tiny bit of a surge starting. Dimwits.

I saw this when I was looking for something. Posting it not to criticize NY. We're right up the road and have made mistakes, too, as the poster above me has pointed out. But just to show how crazy things were back at the beginning of this and how complicated it got here in the States with all the different levels of government regulation we have. I do think the current situations differ because of how much more we know now. There is still room for learning and compromise all around, though.

https://www.nytimes.com/2020/04/08/nyregion/new-york-coronavirus-response-delays.html

I saw this when I was looking for something. Posting it not to criticize NY. We're right up the road and have made mistakes, too, as the poster above me has pointed out. But just to show how crazy things were back at the beginning of this and how complicated it got here in the States with all the different levels of government regulation we have. I do think the current situations differ because of how much more we know now. There is still room for learning and compromise all around, though.

https://www.nytimes.com/2020/04/08/nyregion/new-york-coronavirus-response-delays.html
For sure, I’ve read several articles about how many lives could have been saved if we had acted faster. I just think at this point to still be lagging behind is disturbing. We have a much better idea of what needs to be done now. And I’m genuinely concerned about where Florida will be three weeks from now.

Last edited:
On top of that, the NY gov just implemented a mandatory quarantine for any coming into NY from Fla.

Actually, that happened about 3 weeks ago.

Actually, there is a better thread. I've been keeping the thread apprised on the quarantine and the various states added, as well as what the different states are doing, when they differ. I wasn't going to post the same info on several different threads.

That thread is also one about going to FL & coming back to NY/NJ/CT:

https://www.disboards.com/threads/ny-and-nj-visitors.3803902/

Hello;

Had a trip booked for the last week in august.

Cancelled it last month.

But, I just can't go a year without my "disney fix".

So, I figured I wold try and book a shorter stay so I could get my disney fix.

Well, The Fla gov just extended the mandatory quarantine for travelers from NY, NJ, and CT for an ADDITIONAL 60 days thru the first week of september.
On top of that, the NY gov just implemented a mandatory quarantine for any coming into NY from Fla.

So, if I wanted to get my disney fix, I would have to quarantine 14 days IN FLA, and an additional 14 days IN NY ?

Seriously?

That's 28 days of quarantine. That's ridiculous.

I'd love to hear any feedback from others in the same position and what your plans are.

I have no issues going to WDW now, it's just the politicians won't let us.They are just in a tit-for-tat war between the states that only make tourism startting back up that much harder.

Wait...what? The governor of Florida extended a quarantine for travelers coming from the part of the country that crushed the curve? When his state is literally ground zero? You can't make this up at this point...you really can't. What are we doing now....Quarantine Wars. We. Are. Lost.

No one said NY did nothing wrong. But there's a huge difference between a week or two at the beginning when figuring out how to shut down, and then deciding on reopening early when the experts warned exactly what the consequences would be.
Yes, actually the person I quoted did. They said NY had no warning. That isn't true! And I clearly said, I don't disagree on FL. It's not one or the other. FL can be irresponsible and I think they are. But I am also tired of this attitude from NYers, which I've seen on other threads and commented on (and it also comes from my own family from NYC). NY made mistakes. Own them! It doesn't discount from the amazing job the state has done on getting it under control. But pretending mistakes didn't happen isn't being genuine. And not from you, but I've also seen this attitude from some NY posters that they feel they've seen the worst of it. And I hope that's true. But it's also a dangerous attitude to have. My state (CA) did it right at the beginning. We were the poster child and then got cocky and complacent and look at where we are now.

Here is what I'd like to see from NYers in discussions around here
-acknowledgment that there were mistakes made and that some of the numbers NY had is the fault of that.
- celebrate the amazing job done to get it under control. It truly is admirable. But don't get cocky. That's dangerous
-acknowledge that because of the horrible numbers early on, meaning a wait on opening up, you've had the benefit of other states going first and seeing what works and what doesn't. (THIS DOESN'T EXCUSE STATES WHO OPENED TOO EARLY.)
- stop acting like NY was the only state that got hit hard or went through this. Or that the rules in place are unique there. While I completely understand the state only being able to focus on getting to the other side, there are plenty of other places in the country who also did it right, but don't get the same accolades because they never had the numbers to have the dramatic improvement.

Wait...what? The governor of Florida extended a quarantine for travelers coming from the part of the country that crushed the curve? When his state is literally ground zero? You can't make this up at this point...you really can't. What are we doing now....Quarantine Wars. We. Are. Lost.
Making sound public health decisions isn't very fun.
It's probably much more amusing to play neener, neener, neener with NY.

I do believe that was silly. And, if I remember correctly, didn’t Desantis issue the order right after the NY/NJ/CT governors issued theirs?

No, FL, made the rule back in March or April when NY was at the apex of being the then epicenter. They just kept the rule in effect and/or extended it. Ironic when FL's rate of infection must be up to 26% or higher. Meanwhile NY's infection rate is roughly 1.3%.

Also NY/NJ/CT isn't doing it in retaliation. We have certain criteria for which states make the quarantine list:

The total current states that are required to quarantine for 14 days when entering NY, NJ, or CT are:

Alabama, Arkansas, Arizona, California, Delaware, Florida, Georgia, Iowa, Idaho, Kansas, Louisiana, Mississippi, North Carolina, Nevada, Oklahoma, South Carolina, Tennessee, Texas and Utah.

These states have unfortunately a high infection rate of at least: 10 new COVID positive cases per 100,000 people on a 7-day rolling average. OR: at least 10% of the total population is COVID-19 positive on a 7-Day rolling average.

NY & NJ are requiring the 14 day mandatory quarantine regardless of if a COVID-19 test comes back negative.

NJ tried to allow for a test instead of quarantining. But, this past weekend, 12+ people who came from some of of the travel advisory states tested positive in Hoboken. That mini COVID cluster made Gov. Murphy change his mind. He said the infection rate is going up he's worried it will rise further. He now requires the 14 day mandatory quarantine regardless of test results.

The NJ & CT Governors have put a pause on certain parts of Phase 3, due to seeing the upsurges in the rest of the U.S.

The CT does allow: "If a 14-day self-quarantine is not possible, travelers from the impacted states may enter Connecticut if they have had a negative viral test (not an antibody test) for COVID-19 in the 72 hours prior to travel."
Link: https://portal.ct.gov/Coronavirus/Covid-19-Knowledge-Base/Travel-In-or-Out-of-CT

No, FL, made the rule back in March or April when NY was at the apex of being the then epicenter. They just kept the rule in effect and/or extended it. Ironic when FL's rate of infection must be up to 26% or higher. Meanwhile NY's infection rate is roughly 1.3%.

Also NY/NJ/CT isn't doing it in retaliation. We have certain criteria for which states make the quarantine list:

The total current states that are required to quarantine for 14 days when entering NY, NJ, or CT are:

Alabama, Arkansas, Arizona, California, Delaware, Florida, Georgia, Iowa, Idaho, Kansas, Louisiana, Mississippi, North Carolina, Nevada, Oklahoma, South Carolina, Tennessee, Texas and Utah.

These states have unfortunately a high infection rate of at least: 10 new COVID positive cases per 100,000 people on a 7-day rolling average. OR: at least 10% of the total population is COVID-19 positive on a 7-Day rolling average.

NY & NJ are requiring the 14 day mandatory quarantine regardless of if a COVID-19 test comes back negative.

NJ tried to allow for a test instead of quarantining. But, this past weekend, 12+ people who came from some of of the travel advisory states tested positive in Hoboken. That mini COVID cluster made Gov. Murphy change his mind. He said the infection rate is going up he's worried it will rise further. He now requires the 14 day mandatory quarantine regardless of test results.

The NJ & CT Governors have put a pause on certain parts of Phase 3, due to seeing the upsurges in the rest of the U.S.

The CT does allow: "If a 14-day self-quarantine is not possible, travelers from the impacted states may enter Connecticut if they have had a negative viral test (not an antibody test) for COVID-19 in the 72 hours prior to travel."
Link: https://portal.ct.gov/Coronavirus/Covid-19-Knowledge-Base/Travel-In-or-Out-of-CT
Ah, I thought the order went away and then Florida re-enacted it. I remember when it originally went into effect at the start of things. I admit my memory is fuzzy.

I totally understand your frustration, OP. In places like Hawaii, the 2 week quarantine applies to EVERYONE coming in from out of the state. Everyone, not just NY/NJ/CT, etc. And with their 2 week quarantine, you cannot stop at a grocery store or get take out from a restaurant between the airport and your lodging. If you leave your lodging for any reason, the front desk staff WILL call the police. The police WILL arrest you and put you in jail.

OR starting 8/1, you can get out of that quarantine IF you and everyone in your traveling party get a COVID-19 test 72 hours before your flight, and you bring printed proof of those negative test results with you to show authorities in Hawaii at the airport when you land. AND you fill out a form stating where you're staying, for how long, etc.

Of course, all of that is sort of moot right now because in many areas in the mainland US, you can't get test results in less than 3 days and in some areas, you can only get tested if you have symptoms.

Oh...and the cost of the test is estimated to be about $140-180 plus a $20 administrative handling fee per traveler.

I totally understand your frustration, OP. In places like Hawaii, the 2 week quarantine applies to EVERYONE coming in from out of the state. Everyone, not just NY/NJ/CT, etc. And with their 2 week quarantine, you cannot stop at a grocery store or get take out from a restaurant between the airport and your lodging. If you leave your lodging for any reason, the front desk staff WILL call the police. The police WILL arrest you and put you in jail.

OR starting 8/1, you can get out of that quarantine IF you and everyone in your traveling party get a COVID-19 test 72 hours before your flight, and you bring printed proof of those negative test results with you to show authorities in Hawaii at the airport when you land. AND you fill out a form stating where you're staying, for how long, etc.

Of course, all of that is sort of moot right now because in many areas in the mainland US, you can't get test results in less than 3 days and in some areas, you can only get tested if you have symptoms.

Oh...and the cost of the test is estimated to be about $140-180 plus a $20 administrative handling fee per traveler.
My husband was charged $300 for the test here in NY!

Is Florida or any other state actually checking of people quarantine? Or do they just request/strongly advise it?
I stayed at a resort in Orlando at the end of June.
I was asked many questions and then I had to sign 4 pages of documents saying where we were from and that we didn’t have symptoms and we hadn’t been exposed to COVID before they gave us our pool passes.
The lady at the concierge desk said she had had to tell multiple New Yorkers that they couldn’t use the pool and they had to quarantine for 14 days before they could. They were taking it VERY seriously.

NY Governor: "The law is if you come in from another state you have to self-quarantine for 14 days. If you don't, and you get caught, you will have violated the law — you can be fined. If you fly into New York, we'll have your name, we'll know where you're supposed to be staying, (and) there will be random checks. You get pulled over by a police officer and he looks at where your residence is and says, 'How long have you been here?'"

Aboard flights, you will be handed this form and asked to fill it out:

EbxDspXU0AEoGd8.jpeg

If you drive in, do not expect to be stopped at the NYS border. There are no checkpoints physically blocking people coming in. NY Gov, said that is considered a blockade and an act of civil war, as the only time a blockade between states was ever erected was during the U.S. Civil War.

He also said, no state can ban any travelers from specific states from coming into their state, as that is unconstitutional. When other states tried this to NY back in March, [I'm talking about you, R.I.,] the Gov. threatened to file a lawsuit against them. They dropped the proposed ban as they wouldn't win. In turnaround, he will NOT be trying to ban other states from entering. The best he or any state can do is the travel advisory with the mandatory quarantine once some one enters the state.

NY has developed a state of the art, contact tracing program. So, if one drives in, doesn't quarantine and infects people with COVID, the NYS Dept of Health will know. A couple weeks ago when a person from FL came up to attend a friend's graduation. He had COVID and unknowingly infected 13 other people. The contact tracers were able trace it back to him and also tamp down that fire. This was before the quarantine.

Now, a fine for quarantine violators is:

"If a person violates the quarantine, they may be subject to a judicial order and mandatory quarantine.
They may have to pay the costs of quarantine.
$2000 for first violation.
$5000 for second violation.
Up to $10,000 if they cause harm." :scared:v

Welcome (back) to NY State! :wave2: :duck:

"The requirements of the travel advisory do not apply to any individual passing through designated states for a limited duration (i.e., less than 24 hours) through the course of travel.

Examples of such brief passage include but are not limited to: stopping at rest stops for vehicles, buses, and/or trains; or lay-overs for air travel, bus travel, or train travel.

The travel advisory requires all New Yorkers, as well as those visiting from out of state, to take personal responsibility for complying with the advisory in the best interest of public health and safety.

For the latest info (NY only) go to the NYS Dept of Health:
https://coronavirus.health.ny.gov/covid-19-travel-advisory

For questions about the travel advisory please refer to the guidance linked here.

For general inquires contact the call the Hotline: 1-888-364-3065 or Ask a Question.

In NYS: To file a report of an individual failing to adhere to the quarantine pursuant to the travel advisory click here or call 1-833-789-0470.

In CT: residents to report if they see quarantine violators. They are to call 211.

NJ: Call your State's Dept of Health.

BTW, the Govs hope people DO report violators. That if someone attends a business meeting when they should be quarantining instead, the coworker can send off an email somewhere to report them. When people from one of the high infection states checks into a hotel and they are seen not quarantining, they get reported too, etc.

Ah, I thought the order went away and then Florida re-enacted it. I remember when it originally went into effect at the start of things. I admit my memory is fuzzy.

I actually don't know if it went away. I hadn't heard that. I think it was set to expire.Then the FL Gov re-enacted it.

I live in New York as well and wouldn’t travel to Florida now anyway. Not worth the risk. New York was hit the hardest and we are not doing better then most states because of masks and social distancing.

My husband was charged $300 for the test here in NY!

:eek: Did he go to one of the state's testing sites? They are different than various city or private lab testing sites.
I posted all of this on the other thread I linked to, almost a couple weeks ago. I got an antibody test for free from one of the state's site. I wasn't charged a thing. I was never asked if I had insurance either.

This is from the NY state Dept of Health's website:

NY state residents returning to NY (or just wanting to find a free COVID-19 test site) go to:

https://coronavirus.health.ny.gov/find-test-site-near-you

Also: Individuals who have questions regarding eligibility or access for testing should call the New York State COVID-19 Hotline at 1-888-364-3065

Please note:
  • If you go to a test site run by New York State, there is never any charge for your test.

• If you go to a test site operated by local governments, (as in local city run tests,) private companies including pharmacies and medical practices or not-for-profit organizations, you are advised to check with the testing site and your insurer in advance of being tested to confirm you will not be responsible for any fees associated with your test.

:eek: Did he go to one of the state's testing sites? They are different than various city or private lab testing sites.
I posted all of this on the other thread I linked to, almost a couple weeks ago. I got an antibody test for free from one of the state's site. I wasn't charged a thing. I was never asked if I had insurance either.

This is from the NY state Dept of Health's website:

NY state residents returning to NY (or just wanting to find a free COVID-19 test site) go to:

https://coronavirus.health.ny.gov/find-test-site-near-you

Also: Individuals who have questions regarding eligibility or access for testing should call the New York State COVID-19 Hotline at 1-888-364-3065

Please note:
  • If you go to a test site run by New York State, there is never any charge for your test.

• If you go to a test site operated by local governments, (as in local city run tests,) private companies including pharmacies and medical practices or not-for-profit organizations, you are advised to check with the testing site and your insurer in advance of being tested to confirm you will not be responsible for any fees associated with your test.
He’s had two tests. He was very ill in May, had to go to the ER. The $300 test was for private testing, because our county was so low in test availability at the time we had an impossible time getting him a prescription for a test. We paid out of pocket because we were able to, which is a whole other discussion about privilege and the scarcity of testing.

Yes, actually the person I quoted did. They said NY had no warning. That isn't true! And I clearly said, I don't disagree on FL. It's not one or the other. FL can be irresponsible and I think they are. But I am also tired of this attitude from NYers, which I've seen on other threads and commented on (and it also comes from my own family from NYC). NY made mistakes. Own them! It doesn't discount from the amazing job the state has done on getting it under control. But pretending mistakes didn't happen isn't being genuine. And not from you, but I've also seen this attitude from some NY posters that they feel they've seen the worst of it. And I hope that's true. But it's also a dangerous attitude to have. My state (CA) did it right at the beginning. We were the poster child and then got cocky and complacent and look at where we are now.

Here is what I'd like to see from NYers in discussions around here
-acknowledgment that there were mistakes made and that some of the numbers NY had is the fault of that.
- celebrate the amazing job done to get it under control. It truly is admirable. But don't get cocky. That's dangerous
-acknowledge that because of the horrible numbers early on, meaning a wait on opening up, you've had the benefit of other states going first and seeing what works and what doesn't. (THIS DOESN'T EXCUSE STATES WHO OPENED TOO EARLY.)
- stop acting like NY was the only state that got hit hard or went through this. Or that the rules in place are unique there. While I completely understand the state only being able to focus on getting to the other side, there are plenty of other places in the country who also did it right, but don't get the same accolades because they never had the numbers to have the dramatic improvement.

We're not cocky - we're pissed! We did what the experts and scientists said to do. Other states like Florida did not. What you say it total bull that it was about us getting to see "what worked". We had sound science that we listened to. Florida did not. We didn't have "the benefit" of other states going first. Are you nuts? It's other states "going first" which has put us right back into danger again. Stop telling us in the NY what you want from us. Look at the data - those in the hotspots who ignored all advice have no business telling us anything. You've complete made up irrelevant stuff and things people aren't saying to somehow dismiss those that clearly screwed up.

We're not cocky - we're pissed! We did what the experts and scientists said to do. Other states like Florida did not. What you say it total bull that it was about us getting to see "what worked". We had sound science that we listened to. Florida did not. We didn't have "the benefit" of other states going first. Are you nuts? It's other states "going first" which has put us right back into danger again. Stop telling us in the NY what you want from us. Look at the data - those in the hotspots who ignored all advice have no business telling us anything. You've complete made up irrelevant stuff and things people aren't saying to somehow dismiss those that clearly screwed up.

Yep. Our testing is down to a 1% positive rate every day now. Florida's is about 20%. They had FOUR months' warning. A lot of people are going to be very sick and die for no reason.

Apparently you missed the part where I said I wasn't comparing NY to FL. So if we're going to have a discussion, stop using FL as your example. Except for a very small handful here, everybody agrees FL screwed it up. Badly. And continues to every day they don't do anything.

I am not from a hot spot. And I haven't made up a thing. What I've said is all factual. Just because you don't like to hear it.

Last edited:

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter