Company hosted Potluck - update 12/19

Update #2
So we ended up not being able to do a company party.

Today employees decided to put together a potluck party to held this Thursday (or maybe Saturday). Turns out they want the opportunity to hang out have a few beers and party. They don’t care if they have to bring food or not. If they have to pay for it or not.

Company may or may not still “host” a party at a later date but for now we are having a potluck put on by employees.

Update & other questions:

We will be providing a simple meal (lasagna, salad, bread) as well a few appetizers, beer & soft drinks. We will ask for people to sign up to bring an appetizer or dessert (if they want).

Other questions:

What time do we set out the main meal? The party is from 5pm - 9pm. Appetizers will be set out by 4:30p for the early birds (the majority of employees get off at 4:30 and some will come straight from work). I expect most to arrive between 5:15 - 5:30.

Do we offer one main dish (lasagna) or do I get a variety of main dishes (lasagna, ravioli, spaghetti, baked ziti?). The issue would be there would not be enough of everything for everyone. Do we ask what the employees preference is for the main dish?

Do we play Christmas music only, Christmas Music with a mix of happy/upbeat music, or no Christmas music?

Original (unedited post)

After a couple years of having no Holiday Party we are planning to have a Potluck the Friday before Christmas.

We are asking employees to sign up to bring a dish to share. The company (a local Brewery) will be providing beer & soft drinks, as well as paper plates, plasticware, napkins, etc. What if anything else should we provide?

This is the first time I have been in charge of a potluck so I am not sure what is expected or not.

The meal planned has universal appeal and is nicely focused from my POV. I'd stick with lasagna and not have several other pasta dishes. Easier to serve and less utensils and containers needed. Also makes the service line go faster. Be sure to pre-portion the lasagna in the pan which also makes serving easier.
I would aim to set out the main course at 6:00 PM with that course's cleanup beginning at 8:00 PM at the latest. Still gives a nice hour for desserts and coffee if it's being provided.

Holiday music is fun at a holiday party- go for it and just make sure it' a nice mix of good for talking music during the appetizer through main course times and liven it up around dessert. Lots of good playlists on youtube.

Disposable tablecloths are generally needed and plastic is better in particular over paper as it's more durable. Nothing like split red sauce slowly but surely creeping over a paper tablecloth to make things look messy. With plastic a wipe or two and it's fine. Check your local dollar store and compare prices of shower liners (72*72) to tablecloths.....you'll probably find the liners to be a better bang for the buck.

Set up buckets of water in inconspicuous places under the table w/ cleaning supplies- you never know when people will have an oopsie moment. Ask the company for "Caution, Wet Floor" signs from the factory floor or maintenance staff. Better to be safe than sorry.

Use live greenery cut from backyards to decorate tables. Inexpensive and lots of ideas up and down the 'net. Be sure to set up utensils, plates and napkin station at at least one end of the main course table (2 ends if possible) so peeps have what they need w/o having to rush back to the beginning. Should you have the time place all eating utensils in a napkin; truly makes the forgetful ones inconspicuous;).

Set up a separate beverage table if possible. People tend to linger over the selections which is why it's not a good idea to place on the food table. A cooler or two filled with ice on one side of the beverage station will keep the helpers from constantly refilling. Put plastic cups on same side as ice coolers.

If you can set up one table for desserts, do. Allows faster breakdown of other areas thus letting helpers to go home same time as the others or at least close to it.

HTH and have fun!

The meal planned has universal appeal and is nicely focused from my POV. I'd stick with lasagna and not have several other pasta dishes. Easier to serve and less utensils and containers needed. Also makes the service line go faster. Be sure to pre-portion the lasagna in the pan which also makes serving easier.
I would aim to set out the main course at 6:00 PM with that course's cleanup beginning at 8:00 PM at the latest. Still gives a nice hour for desserts and coffee if it's being provided.

Holiday music is fun at a holiday party- go for it and just make sure it' a nice mix of good for talking music during the appetizer through main course times and liven it up around dessert. Lots of good playlists on youtube.

Disposable tablecloths are generally needed and plastic is better in particular over paper as it's more durable. Nothing like split red sauce slowly but surely creeping over a paper tablecloth to make things look messy. With plastic a wipe or two and it's fine. Check your local dollar store and compare prices of shower liners (72*72) to tablecloths.....you'll probably find the liners to be a better bang for the buck.

Set up buckets of water in inconspicuous places under the table w/ cleaning supplies- you never know when people will have an oopsie moment. Ask the company for "Caution, Wet Floor" signs from the factory floor or maintenance staff. Better to be safe than sorry.

Use live greenery cut from backyards to decorate tables. Inexpensive and lots of ideas up and down the 'net. Be sure to set up utensils, plates and napkin station at at least one end of the main course table (2 ends if possible) so peeps have what they need w/o having to rush back to the beginning. Should you have the time place all eating utensils in a napkin; truly makes the forgetful ones inconspicuous;).

Set up a separate beverage table if possible. People tend to linger over the selections which is why it's not a good idea to place on the food table. A cooler or two filled with ice on one side of the beverage station will keep the helpers from constantly refilling. Put plastic cups on same side as ice coolers.

If you can set up one table for desserts, do. Allows faster breakdown of other areas thus letting helpers to go home same time as the others or at least close to it.

HTH and have fun!
They way I read it (in update #2 which you posted) the originally planned company meal is off. Employees have decided to put together their own pot luck though.

They way I read it (in update #2 which you posted) the originally planned company meal is off. Employees have decided to put together their own pot luck though.

So it looks like the employees wanted what the OP and her boss tried to plan in the first place! The OP could have relieved herself of a lot of stress and planning time by just going with the original plan.

So it looks like the employees wanted what the OP and her boss tried to plan in the first place! The OP could have relieved herself of a lot of stress and planning time by just going with the original plan.

Funny isn't it?

In the end the employees involved just want to get together to have a good time.

Yes this is what happened. It will still be held at the company Ale House, so the company isn't off the hook completely. I already told the guys that if they make a big mess I expect them to clean it up. :)

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter