Compare Universal hotels to WDW hotels

Antonia

DIS Veteran
Can someone say how they think the Universal hotels compare to the WDW deluxe hotels?????? Have never stayed at Universal, but have stayed at WL and have visited most of the WDW resorts. Are they as nice as a WDW deluxe?

Well I have heard that the Hard Rock Hotel (Universal) is a fantastic hotel....much better than some of the Disney Resorts....it is a new hotel. I saw the New Royal Pacific Hotel 2 weeks ago and it looks very nice and similar to WL. The Universal Hotels, except Hard rock i think, are owned by Loews Hotels Inc and they are a great hotel managemnt company.

OrlandoDisney....please tell all about RPR! In what way does it resemble WL? I was under the impression it would resemble the Poly....I checked out the const. pic's on www.orlandorocks.com and see there are no balconies.....any info would be soooooo appreciated!

Universal resorts...interior/exteriors are most similar to disney deluxe resorts...not the moderates. WL started out being a moderate and was quickly upgraded to deluxe after the way it turned out. The inside of HRH and Portofino are more deluxe than anything else.

Rooms at Portofino are much nicer than disney deluxe rooms, large bathrooms, great beds.

I am guessing by how the universal resorts are...that Loews hotels are quality all the way through...and you could expect the same from the new Royal Pacific.

Just back from the Hard Rock,,,,I must say I was impressed, beautiful lobby, great service...the rooms were VERY nice,,,I had a club room on the seventh floor. Beds were great, bathrooms pretty and clean, extra modems for laptop, cd player in rooms, bar, and comfortable seating. I only wish we had had a fridge....but you really didnt need it because in the club room concierge lounge, they had it all. Wine, beer and a little buffet at happy hour,,,,mexican wraps, tortillas, dip, (awesome cheese & sausage) Pico de gayo, sodas, water, coffee, juice...and the morning was cereal, bagels, toast, muffins, donuts, croissants, danish, juice coffee. They were right there to help with dinner ressies, park info, etc. Highly recommend! (they even tracked down a blender for us to use in the room :)

I didnt do the pool this time, i was only there for the one nite, but it was nice, and the cabanas looked awesome. Though you dont need one to get out of the sun, they are very large, and quite comfortable I hear and if you stay in a club room you can get a whole day for half off.

Mae:cool: :jester: :p

We've stayed at PBR and HRH and will be trying RP this summer. We have also stayed at most of te Disney deluxe resorts. In my opinion the Universal resorts compare at least equally to Disney deluxe resorts but rates are not comprable. Universal usually has much better rates and discounts. PBH rooms are lnicer than any Disney resort we've stayed at. The bathrooms are huge!!! The resort is just beautiful! My only complaint is that the HRH nor PBR has a fast food type service to grab a quick bite, but then again, neither does our favorite Disney resort YC/BC. I heard that RP is supposed to have a fast food counter service. We usually spend 2 nights at Universal and 5 or 6 nights at Disney. We love both areas. If Universal continues to add more parks/activities, we probably will add more time at Universal and less at Disney. This is just my opinion. Hope this helps!

We were at HRH the week after Easter and loved the place except for no fast food service. Really missed those refillable mugs. The rooms were great and the quick walk to the parks was a nice plus not to mention FOTL.

We have stayed at all the deluxes resorts at WDW every year (The Poly Concierge and BC our home-away-from-home) and have also stayed at PBH twice and HRH twice (and again this summer). The HRH/PBH are such fine resorts that we are actually skipping Disney for the first time in 13 years!!!!!!!!!! We are spending all 10 days at HRH! I think that says something in itself. I have 2 ds 12 and 17 who love both these resorts - prefering HRH though. The staff at both these resorts are exceptional and go out of their way to strike up conversation and offer their help even when you are not soliciting their help! (I have found that the front desk people can be "a little less than enthusiastic" at times, but the rest of the staff are great. I even had the hotel manager welcome my husband and I during our stay! A staff member offered to give my boys an 'unofficial' tour of the hotel stopping at all the celebrity collectibles and explaining where it came from and how they acquired it; they loved it! I could go on and on, but you get the message. I am in no way taking anything away from Disney, we love that place. But you just get the feeling when at PBH/HRH your patronage is never taken for granted and they want to make sure you come back - at Disney I do get the feeling they think there is no competition - and somedays, have lost their customer service.

Regarding the fast-food - they do have the beach clubs at both resorts that offer chicken fingers, hot dogs, burger and even fried clams, ff, etc. .

Hope this helps............:D :D

PDG

Last July we stayed two nights at AKL followed by two at HRH. The resorts were a million miles apart in terms of theming and atmosphere, but equally stunning. We've also stayed at the Beach Club and visited quite a few of the other WDW resorts.

You definitely get more for your $ at the Loews hotels. Our heavily discounted Annual Passholder rate for AKL concierge was the same as the rack rate for HRH 7th Floor Club (which we foolishly paid because I didn't know about the discounts, even though we are US AP holders :rolleyes: ). I did think the concierge food and beverage offerings at AKL were slightly better than those at HRH, but from what Mae says it seems they've improved since we were there.

We've chosen HRH again for our October trip this year. The proximity to the parks and CityWalk, and FOTL make such a difference to the whole USF experience.

Check out this link:

360 degree tour of HRH

We have stayed at Polynesian, Contemporary, Beach Club, Wilderness Lodge and Animal Kingdom Lodge (conceirge). Last Jan I stayed 2 days at HRH and I am hooked. I thought the room was more nicely appointed (such as nicer bedspreads, sheets, curtains, Q-Tips and cotton balls in the bathroon, you know, it's the little things:cool: that excite us!). Also, the rooms seemed to be a pretty good size (compared to AKL and WL), actually larger. The Lobby and pool area was much nicer than any at WDW (with the possible exception of WL-we own DVC there;) ).

The price is for sure much more palatable.

And as is mentioned throughout these boards, it just seems like Universal appreciates my business more than WDW and therefore, I am happier to give it to them.

FOTL is a total other story:bounce: :bounce: :bounce:

Muushka,,, I too agree with the "little things" at the HRH that really made the difference for me. LOL, my sister and I remarked too, about the q-tips (which I brought anyway) the shower caps, the mending kit,(which my sister used) the lint brush(which my sister HAD to use) worked awesome :) the body lotion, toothbrush w/toothpaste in a little pack to take to the park for those quick freshen ups,,,,, I could go on and on about the HRH,,,,the beds were soooo clean and comfy and pretty and the baths were quite upscale,,,,IMHO, (we had a club room,not sure if theyre all like that) and talk about spoiling you....they even brought me a blender which I was told by housekeeping was unavailable....(gotta love that concierge treatment) :) Mae

P.S. Im glad I brought my Purell for the parks, it came in handy, thanks for those tips!

The time has come to realize that WDW hotels are WAY OVERPRICED!

The rates they charge are obsurd! Themeing is nice but you can't sleep on themeing. The rooms are average size at best and offer no more amenities than any other upscale chain. Yes I know they tought the "Disney Mid-day Break", but guess what anybody can get in their car, go back to the hotel, and relax, and return later.

I remember when CBR opened and it was $69.00/night. All-Star was $59.00 a night when it opened. Now CBR is up to $149.00/night and AS $109.00 for a "preferred room". I'd prefer you did not charge rates that outpace inflation.

The HRH is a good looking hotel. PBR is beautiful! RPR will be a nice addition.

My family is totally Disney fanatics. Stayed at Deluxe as well as moderates. But last year went to HRH first before going on to Poly Concierge. Suffice to say, it is HRH all the way. Beautiful themeing, beds are so comfy and there is nothing better than FOTL. I can suggest that if you want to do both, do Universal last. Once you get the taste of FOTL, it is so difficult to have to wait.

THat is what happened to us last year and this year we will do Dis first and then Universal. But we will be adding our extra days on to HRH rather than Poly.

YOu will love it

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter