Concierge rooms on Triton class – sea sickness?

gpjacobs

Mouseketeer
Hi there! We just returned from our first Disney Cruise on the Wish, followed by some time in WDW. We had an AMAZING time and are actively looking to book our next cruise – likely on the Treasure, once later itineraries open up.

I’m prone to seasickness but didn’t have a single issue on the Wish (so thrilled!). We stayed midship (one of the bump out veranda rooms on deck 9) and it was literally smooth sailing. I proactively took ginger chews but never needed my Relief Band, Bonine, etc. It was great! The only time I really felt the ship moving was in the theatre during Seas the Adventure and when my husband and I got a late-night drink at The Rose.

We’re considering booking our next sailing in a concierge room to have a chance at snagging activities we missed as first-time cruises, namely a cabana. However, our travel agent mentioned that all concierge rooms on Triton class ships are very far forward and on high decks. Curious if anyone here can share their Concierge experiences on the Wish, esp. if prone to motion sickness. Thanks in advance!

I’m very prone to motion sickness and wear a scopolamine patch for every cruise after getting violently ill on my first cruise in 2004 as a teenager. Our sailing on the Wish last year was in concierge deck 12 and I was still breastfeeding my 9 month old so I opted not to wear the patch. I actually never once got seasick. I thought maybe I outgrew my motion sickness but after trying to not wear a patch on my magic sailing earlier this year, I quickly realized that was not the case. I think if you continue to proactive with your ginger chews and have your other remedies on hand, you’ll be just fine. Concierge amenities on the triton class are fantastic so I wouldn’t let room location be the reason to not do it.

Keep in mind that I’ve read on these boards that because there are so many more Concierge staterooms on the triton class ships it can be more difficult to get the limited experiences (e.g., Castaway cabanas) than when sailing on a smaller ship with fewer Concierge passengers all going after the same option.

We have been on the Wish twice now, one of which was concierge. My wife is prone to motion sickness but she had no problems at all. She didn't even take any motion sickness medications on either cruise.

Keep in mind that I’ve read on these boards that because there are so many more Concierge staterooms on the triton class ships it can be more difficult to get the limited experiences (e.g., Castaway cabanas) than when sailing on a smaller ship with fewer Concierge passengers all going after the same option.
Good point! Our travel agent also mentioned we need to have our list of must-dos prepped and ready to send as soon as offshore planning opens.

Keep in mind that as the newer series hit the seas they have grown in length/beam AND the stabilization equipment has improved.

The Concierge Cabins on the Cruise Line we sail are Forward on decks 16 and 18. We've experienced less motion on the 1,000+' long ships compared to a 900+' long ships and as a result less motion sickness but always pack what works for our motion commotion.

Keep in mind that as the newer series hit the seas they have grown in length/beam AND the stabilization equipment has improved.

The Concierge Cabins on the Cruise Line we sail are Forward on decks 16 and 18. We've experienced less motion on the 1,000+' long ships compared to a 900+' long ships and as a result less motion sickness but always pack what works for our motion commotion.
Agreed. I'd never imagine sailing without my complete set of motion sickness tools. (I really envy those who can!)

We have stayed very far forward on the Magic on deck 6 and I had horrible motion sickness, but last year on the Fantasy we were on deck 10 in the second most forward verandah and I had no problem with motion sickness on that cruise. I agree with the PP the newer ships have much better stabilization. I still would take meds I usually take an anti-nausea pill before bed on a cruise and that does help.

I just wanted to add that the time of year/destination can make a difference as well. On a smooth sailing, even the highest/most forward rooms may be fine. On a rough sailing, it might not make a difference where you are on the ship. So if you really want to try a Concierge room on the Treasure, maybe try to pick a time of year that is less likely to have rough seas. It's no guarantee, but something to think about.

Also, keep in mind the Wish is doing shorter, closer sailings (just to the Bahamas). The Treasure will be doing longer Caribbean sailings, so will be a little bit more in 'open water.' As others said, with the technology of the new ship, stabilizers, etc., it might not make a difference. Just something to keep in mind, it's not totally a 100% comparison between the Wish and the Treasure.

I just wanted to add that the time of year/destination can make a difference as well. On a smooth sailing, even the highest/most forward rooms may be fine. On a rough sailing, it might not make a difference where you are on the ship. So if you really want to try a Concierge room on the Treasure, maybe try to pick a time of year that is less likely to have rough seas. It's no guarantee, but something to think about.

Also, keep in mind the Wish is doing shorter, closer sailings (just to the Bahamas). The Treasure will be doing longer Caribbean sailings, so will be a little bit more in 'open water.' As others said, with the technology of the new ship, stabilizers, etc., it might not make a difference. Just something to keep in mind, it's not totally a 100% comparison between the Wish and the Treasure.
Excellent points!

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

GET UP TO A $1000 SHIPBOARD CREDIT AND AN EXCLUSIVE GIFT!

If you make your Disney Cruise Line reservation with Dreams Unlimited Travel you’ll receive these incredible shipboard credits to spend on your cruise!

facebook twitter