Confiscated alcohol at check-in?

JuJuJasmine

Mouseketeer
I know this is going to sound crazy, especially after everything I've read about people bringing booze and beer on board, but my DH just called to tell me he had a customer sitting in his office who had his unopened bottles of Vodka, Rum and Champagne confiscated as he boarded the cruise. They were returned when he disembarked.

Is this guy for real?

JuJu

I've brought beer and Crown Royal on several DCL cruises and have never had a problem.....Andy

Bringing your own is certainly allowed, it must have been another cruise line as not all of them do allow any.

The only penalty Disney has in place to my knowledge is they do charge a corkage fee if you want to provide your own beverage with dinner.

Same question as Disney6 - Was it a DISNEY cruise? On our cruise last year we checked in one small bag that only contained bottled water, a few bottles of wine, wine glasses and a corkscrew. It's not like we tried to hide it or anything, and there was no problem whatsoever.

Jeff asked him the same questions several times, he said - yes it was Disney, they took my booze and I couldn't gamble.

How about when you come on-board after an excursion - do they "hold" that for you? I think i read if you buy Duty Free on board, they "hold" that until you leave, right?

Andy - did you do bottles or cans of beer? Did you pour it into a cup or just walk around with what you had? Damn, I miss beer. It's one of the big things i gave up when i started atkins - and don't even talk to me about that Mich low-carb stuff - BLACH!

It's my birthday when we're on board and Jeff was planning to bring a few "extra special" bottles of champagne - that's his big concern...

JuJu

I bought alcohol in St Martin and never had it taken away. And I didn't hide it as I reboarded.... How long ago did this person sail? Maybe they have changed how they handle this since the Magic first set sail???

Yes, alcohol bought onboard will be held, I think.

My parents, who we took with us, have brought wine and stronger with no issues whatsoever. Both with them and bought in ports. There are customs limits on how many bottles you can bring home as well, I think. If this happened there was some outside circumstance, not just packed in a bag. And we just cruised on a Western 7day in May.

And no there is no gambling onboard the Disney ships.

Originally posted by JuJuJasmine

How about when you come on-board after an excursion - do they "hold" that for you? I think i read if you buy Duty Free on board, they "hold" that until you leave, right?

Andy - did you do bottles or cans of beer? Did you pour it into a cup or just walk around with what you had? Damn, I miss beer. It's one of the big things i gave up when i started atkins - and don't even talk to me about that Mich low-carb stuff - BLACH!

JuJu

You can bring the bottles of alcohol on board without giving it up if you purchase off the ship, if purchased onboard, they will hold until the last night and deliver to your cabin.....As far as beer goes, I've always brought cans and yes, I do walk around the ship with beer in hand.....it's like a credit card, never leave your cabin without one....lol.....Andy

I also bought booze in port and carried it on no problem. In fact, they give you a list of prices on board so you can compare it with the prices in port.
I also carried on (2) 12 packs of beer on a rolling luggage cart! I bought my DH a basket from Perfect gift with a 6 pack of LaBatts (in bottles) which they do not serve on board, and he walked around with it. Several people (passangers)asked him where he got it, because THEY wanted some too! He did make sure he did not bring the glass bottle into the pool area.

How can this guy insist he was on the Disney cruise when there's no gambling on the ship? Obviously he was on a different cruise.:bounce: :Pinkbounc

The guy is saying he could NOT gamble (hence no gambling on the ship).

"Jeff asked him the same questions several times, he said - yes it was Disney, they took my booze and I couldn't gamble."

Hey JuJu,

Did you know Miller Lite is allowed on Atkins?? :)

Sounds like you have to have it in a carry on bag or day bag and not just out in the open. And, don't pack it in the checked luggage---been there, someone else did that and my suitcase suffered.

"Disney Cruise Line does not prohibit Guests from bringing alcohol onboard. However, please be aware that any fragile items (including alcohol) must be hand-carried onboard in a day bag and/or carry-on. Disney Cruise Line cannot be responsible for damaged caused by fragile items in the checked luggage.
Guests will not be permitted to check cases of alcohol with our porters, as they are not permitted to handle fragile items."

Originally posted by JuJuJasmine

Damn, I miss beer. It's one of the big things i gave up when i started atkins - and don't even talk to me about that Mich low-carb stuff - BLACH!
Originally posted by ivanova
Hey JuJu,

Did you know Miller Lite is allowed on Atkins?
That's not beer! That's yellow water. Life's too short to drink Miller Lite or Nescafé.

On our June cruise, we picked up our alcohol while in route to the ship. We had an empty suitcase just for the alcohol. We couldn't get to the suitcase until we got to the dock, so DH had to put the beer in the suitcase as the "bellhops" watched along with the bomb sniffing dog! DH got worried and commented to the guy loading the luggage. The guy just said "Hey buddy, you are on vacation........enjoy"! Together they zipped up the beer in the suitcase and sent it on it's way!

I carried on Mike's Hard Lemonade because it was bottles and I feared that they would break. Again.......I went right through the terminal scanner.

Unless it's changed since our June 21 cruise.........you're Bud's safe!!!

:jester:

First - thanks!

2nd - he insisted, he's either crazy or right - but the bottom line is, it CAN be done. Insert BIG Grin here. Cocktails on the ship killed us on our first cruise...we were having a ball and not paying any attention to how much things cost. We paid later. Boy, did we. Then we got smart for the 2nd cruise. And the third!

3rd - I'm a bit of a beer snob - i drink (used to drink) a lot of microbrews (amber and darker) so when it came time to cut the carbs, out went the beer. My new love is Captain Morgan and Diet Vanilla Coke with ice cubes made from lime Fruit20. Yummmmm, am i on vacation yet? darn! still 2 more days of work!

4th - Now we watch the weather. And realize we are going to be wet in the park. All the time. But we'll be warm. And on vacation together. And the locals will stay home if the weather's not perfect, 'cuz they can. And in the end, it will all work out.

:-)
JuJu

Well, I am sailing two weeks from tomorrow and will let you know what happens as I am planning on bringing booze on board as I have for the last 8 DCL cruises!!!

MJ

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

GET UP TO A $1000 SHIPBOARD CREDIT AND AN EXCLUSIVE GIFT!

If you make your Disney Cruise Line reservation with Dreams Unlimited Travel you’ll receive these incredible shipboard credits to spend on your cruise!

Latest posts

facebook twitter