Congratulations SHREK!!!

johare

DIS Veteran
Shrek had the highest grossing box-office totals and set records for DVD sales. Now Shrek has deservedly won the first Oscar awarded to an animated film. Congratulations!

I agree. Even though I loved Monsters Inc. (and Shrek), Shrek simply did much better at the box office and very well in DVD sales. I am glad that there will be more high quality animated films. Disney set the standard for excellence, now eveybody his to meet it or beat, even Disney has to as well.

Though I wished Monsters Inc. would have taken a few more Ocsars, all in all it was a pretty good night for the Disney films.

Sorry, but I just don't like Shrek!:(
I think the story line is aweful. They spend the entire movie making fun of every classic fairy tale that we have enjoyed for so many years!
This was not a film I wanted my daughter to see!:eek:

LOL johare. Stubborn aren't you? :)

By the way, box office isn't SUPPOSED to have anything to do with Oscar or else Lord of the Rings would have certainly won best picture. Now, that loss definitely made me sad. :(

If Boxoffice mattered, Harry Potter would have swept.
Actually, I would garuntee that AV is the only one on this board with even a shot at having seen every movie nominated for an Oscar.
no, Box office has nothing to do with anything.

There are a number of Critics and far more people then Shrek lovers would ever care to admit that think Monster Inc. got the shaft.
I suspect it has to do with a certain anti Disney Attitude in hollywood and it was Katzenberg's turn.

None the less, congratulations to shrek.

Gee, YoHo, where have you been? I haven't seen you for ages?

The thing that is sad is that when they finally give a Oscar for a animated movie their is no disney animated film in the running and now at least so far this year(and its early)a fox animated film is doing great Box office. Monsters may have a disney name attached due to some licensing agreement but its not a Disney film and this shows the depths that they have sunk to in the animated movie business at the current time. And does anyone think Lilio and Stitch is going to be the gangbuster to get disney out of its animated slump???

And does anyone think Lilio and Stitch is going to be the gangbuster to get disney out of its animated slump???

There are a number of industry/insider reports, many of which have been posted here, indicating that this just may be the case. I, for one, certainly hope so.

It sure looks like a great movie.
Oh and Testtrack321 I had work to do at work which curtailed my DIS time. :)

If an Oscar's awarded in Holywood, and just about no one bothers to watch it on TV...did it really happen? ;)

I agree with the anti-Disney sentiment. I liked both movies, but I thought Monsters, Inc was better. The scene where Sully is lying in the snow, and you could see his fur moving with the wind, that was great. Shrek just didn't have the same fine details.

So now we are to believe that a anti-disney conspiracy caused the voters of the Oscars to not vote for a pixar movie??? maybe they also know who was behind the grassy knoll??? i think the real question is has hand drawn animated movies ran their course and been overtaken?? And with disney closing their dinosaurs studios are they going to be able to compete??

Here's yet another sign of Burbank's high hopes for L&S.

stitch.jpg

Bob O, I suggest you study Another Voice's Posts more regularly. He after all works in the Industry and if their's one thing his posts have taught me its that the Truth in hollywood usually has little to do with the truth in the rest of the country. The oscars are voted on by people in the Industry. If they didn't want Disney to win, Disney wasn't going to win. Shrek had positive Buzz. Shrek made a lot of money. 9 out of 10 people in hollywood think Eisner is an Ogre and that Dreamworks is the greatest thing since sliced bread. add it all together....

As for Handrawn, not even Dreamworks has given up yet, so I wouldn't ring the Death toll yet.
Also, somebody correct me, but didn't we see an article a month or 2 ago indicating that Disney was revitalizing the Secretlabs?

Making alot of money is a negative and not a positive when it comes to winning oscars. Why cant people get over their bias and credit another company for winning a oscar because they produced a better movie??? And disney didnt make Monsters, Pixar did and i dont think people are going to go after Lassiter because of a dislike for Eisner! Disney made no animated movies that were of oscar caliber this past year!!!

Bob O, I notice you're title is the Voice of Reason. There is nothing Reasonable about hollywood.
It wasn't that Monster's Inc lost because it was made by Disney, it was that Shrek won because it was not. No doubt Shrek had to be good enough to at least be nominated, but beyond that there is no reason involved, only personal vendettas and personal opinions.

Why do you think a beautiful mind was on the bubble?
I bet if it hadn't caused such an uproar with the general public, a Beautiful mind would have never won.

Shrek was soo cool. i own it on DVD , i also liked Monsters inc. even tho i am not a animated fan but these were so cool

I didn't like Shrek. I found it insulting on many levels. I think that if I weren't female, I might have viewed the movie differently. Nah, I still would have found it insulting.

My son saw both Monsters Inc. and Shrek. He didn't watch the Oscars since he was doing his homework over the Internet with his fellow Chemistry teammates. However, when I relayed to him that Shrek had won, he was disappointed. He said, "Monsters Inc. was a much better movie." I haven't seen Monsters Inc. myself, but will make a point of watching it when my husband rents it on DVD. My son's a pretty good judge of movies. I'm sure I'll enjoy it.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter