Considering a mediterranean cruise...

3littlecuties

DIS Veteran
We are considering a Mediterranean cruise but we are hesitant because we have a child with a disability and new things can be challenging. We have cruised in the US (with both Disney and RC) but never abroad. I am not concerned about the cruise itself. I am more worried about the challenges of flying into a foreign city and needing to get from the airport to a hotel, finding a hotel that can accommodate a family of 5, navigating a foreign city with a child with a disability. That sort of stuff. Can anyone offer any advice? Either because you've done it or just where I can start with researching all of this so I can get more comfortable? We are looking at a Disney cruise out of Barcelona. So we would need to fly into Barcelona the day before the cruise and spend one day there before getting on the cruise ship the next day. Then we'd probably stay in Barcelona for a day after getting off the ship before flying back home the next day. I've been to Europe in the past (UK and Italy) but it has been ages ago and not with kids.

My family has spent time before and after Disney cruises in Barcelona, Rome, and Copenhagen. In all of those cities, nearly everyone in the touristy areas spoke English, and many signs were in English as well as in the local language.

I would look into booking a car service in advance to transport you from the airport to your hotel and from your hotel to the port. That way you can specify exactly what you need (such as the amount of luggage you'll have and whether you need space for a mobility device).

Hotel rooms that sleep 5 are rare in European cities. Most or all of the hotels DCL books have rooms for only 2 or 3 people. My family of 4 was able to find rooms in each city with 1 double and 2 single bed, but I didn't look for 5. Barcelona does have short-term apartment rentals that might work for your family. If that doesn't work, you may need to get 2 adjacent rooms.

We had no trouble navigating the Gothic Quarter and Las Ramblas and taking the subway to Sagrada Familia, though disabilities weren't an issue. My kids were 10 and 14 on our first Mediterranean cruise out of Barcelona and really enjoyed it.

In addition to looking at the Barcelona logistics, I would suggest looking into how far the Mediterranean ports are from the sites you want to see. I am not sure what itinerary you are considering, but some ports (in Italy, in particular) are quite far from the major tourist sites. You do not mention how old your child, but I know my DS (who also has some disabilities) at a younger age would not have been able to tolerate the longer bus rides on some of the Mediterranean excursions. We have done DCL Europe cruises with him, but all in Northern Europe where the sites were closer to the ports or the ports themselves were walkable and interesting.

My family has spent time before and after Disney cruises in Barcelona, Rome, and Copenhagen. In all of those cities, nearly everyone in the touristy areas spoke English, and many signs were in English as well as in the local language.

I would look into booking a car service in advance to transport you from the airport to your hotel and from your hotel to the port. That way you can specify exactly what you need (such as the amount of luggage you'll have and whether you need space for a mobility device).

Hotel rooms that sleep 5 are rare in European cities. Most or all of the hotels DCL books have rooms for only 2 or 3 people. My family of 4 was able to find rooms in each city with 1 double and 2 single bed, but I didn't look for 5. Barcelona does have short-term apartment rentals that might work for your family. If that doesn't work, you may need to get 2 adjacent rooms.

We had no trouble navigating the Gothic Quarter and Las Ramblas and taking the subway to Sagrada Familia, though disabilities weren't an issue. My kids were 10 and 14 on our first Mediterranean cruise out of Barcelona and really enjoyed it.
Thank you for your reply. Do you have any suggestions for car services to call in Barcelona? Also, can you tell me how even the sidewalks are in Barcelona? My daughter can walk but not long distances. If we need to do a lot of walking, we will need her wheelchair. Would that even be possible or are they mostly cobbly roads?

In addition to looking at the Barcelona logistics, I would suggest looking into how far the Mediterranean ports are from the sites you want to see. I am not sure what itinerary you are considering, but some ports (in Italy, in particular) are quite far from the major tourist sites. You do not mention how old your child, but I know my DS (who also has some disabilities) at a younger age would not have been able to tolerate the longer bus rides on some of the Mediterranean excursions. We have done DCL Europe cruises with him, but all in Northern Europe where the sites were closer to the ports or the ports themselves were walkable and interesting.
Thank you for this reply. Yes…I have looked into this. My daughter is 15 with Down syndrome and autism. The Rome port is fairly far and then there would be lots of walking once there. For that stop we would likely have my husband take our boys and I would stay on the ship with our daughter as I have spent a week in Rome in the past. My husband has never been to Europe. For the other ports, it looks like there are excursions with van tours followed but time to get out and explore. I think she would do ok with those as we did similar tours in the Caribbean. She does fine riding in a vehicle. Excessive walking is the issue.

We have cruised many times with our neighbors disabled daughter in a wheelchair. We never had a problem with the wheelchair in Barcelona. Barcelona is a very walkable city. The streets aren't cobblestoned there as they may be in other European cities. However, you may have issues finding taxis who will take a wheelchair. Some will, but you have may to ask a few before you get one.

Another thing to consider is excursions. We always did private tours because DCL often times will not take a wheelchair on their excursions. We have lately booked with Tours by Locals. There are usually many different tour guides and places to chose from for each port. They will provide transportation that will fit your needs and will get you back to the ship on time. You may find it cheaper for 5 than DCL excursions as well.

Thank you for your reply. Do you have any suggestions for car services to call in Barcelona? Also, can you tell me how even the sidewalks are in Barcelona? My daughter can walk but not long distances. If we need to do a lot of walking, we will need her wheelchair. Would that even be possible or are they mostly cobbly roads?
Most areas have really nice, wide sidewalks. I would not foresee a problem in that area. Travel to any city is quite similar. Use past experiences with travel within the US to act as a blueprint for travel to Europe. As stated, most people in Europe speak English. I find getting around easier in Europe-so many more options. Definately plan a car service to pick you up. We love Barcelona! So many things to do there and yummy food. What things does your daughter enjoy? There is an amazing interactive science museum called Cosmo Caixa that we love. Not sure if an amusement park would be too much. There is one just outside of Barcelona called Tibidabo. La Sagrada Familia Is incredible, but very crowded. Parc Guell is interesting, and more low key. I hope you go for it, and have an amazing time with your family.

We have cruised many times with our neighbors disabled daughter in a wheelchair. We never had a problem with the wheelchair in Barcelona. Barcelona is a very walkable city. The streets aren't cobblestoned there as they may be in other European cities. However, you may have issues finding taxis who will take a wheelchair. Some will, but you have may to ask a few before you get one.

Another thing to consider is excursions. We always did private tours because DCL often times will not take a wheelchair on their excursions. We have lately booked with Tours by Locals. There are usually many different tour guides and places to chose from for each port. They will provide transportation that will fit your needs and will get you back to the ship on time. You may find it cheaper for 5 than DCL excursions as well.
Thank you so much for this info!

Most areas have really nice, wide sidewalks. I would not foresee a problem in that area. Travel to any city is quite similar. Use past experiences with travel within the US to act as a blueprint for travel to Europe. As stated, most people in Europe speak English. I find getting around easier in Europe-so many more options. Definately plan a car service to pick you up. We love Barcelona! So many things to do there and yummy food. What things does your daughter enjoy? There is an amazing interactive science museum called Cosmo Caixa that we love. Not sure if an amusement park would be too much. There is one just outside of Barcelona called Tibidabo. La Sagrada Familia Is incredible, but very crowded. Parc Guell is interesting, and more low key. I hope you go for it, and have an amazing time with your family.
Thank you for the info!

We used Barcelona Day Tours for airport to hotel transit and for tours after a cruise (a private tour to Girona and a group tour to Parc Guell). We took taxis from the hotel to the port, but if you have a wheelchair, you will need yo be sure that can be accommodated.

I second the suggestion for private tours in ports. With a group of 5, the cost will be comparable to or even less than Disney excursions, and you can work with the company and your driver to minimize walking and make stops when needed.

I think the only tender port on most Mediterranean cruises is Villefranche. Be aware that it may be difficult to get a wheelchair onto and off of a tender ship.

We took our family of 5 to the med on DCL and we did have to book adjoining rooms in Barcelona on the front and back ends of the trip because there are not even suites available in Europe like there are here and even in Canada. There are plenty of car companies that offer van service, just be sure to be organized and get it all booked in advance! Also, out of all the ports, Barcelona had the smoothest streets and sidewalks. We used a stroller there. There's a bus tour that you can hop on/hop off in Barcelona and there was a stop right near our hotel. We also did a beach day at Nova Icaria which was fun; there is a rope playground nearby that my kids really enjoyed.
One hopefully helpful tip for your husband and other kids; for the Rome excursion day, I would book it via Disney. Some people will argue with that but our tour bus was late coming back and they held the ship for us. They obviously won't do that for privately booked tours. Those are long port days!
Finally, my youngest is medically fragile and I was worried about needing emergency medical care but his doctors assured me that the medical facilities (and he gave me a list of where to go if needed) are top notch and we'd be in good hands. You may not need that but it's always good to be prepared.

Finding a hotel room in Europe for 5 is not easy. For me, I would book a vacation rental home.

Echoing the sentiment to book a private tour. For your group size, the price won't be much more (if at all) more expensive than a group tour and you can customize it for your preferences.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

GET UP TO A $1000 SHIPBOARD CREDIT AND AN EXCLUSIVE GIFT!

If you make your Disney Cruise Line reservation with Dreams Unlimited Travel you’ll receive these incredible shipboard credits to spend on your cruise!

facebook twitter