Considering purchasing Riviera direct or a resale somewhere else (BWV most likely) Help!

Just to be sure you know, you can purchase almost any of the resorts Direct (I believe Grand Floridian and Poly are currently on hold) - OR if you purchase a contract thru Resale first - once that closes escrow (allow 30-60 days) you are then eligible to purchase small Direct "add-on" contracts (the minimum varies but 25 is the lowest, I think). This works well for some people - depends on your vacation theories and budget, of course.

BTW CastAStone's suggestion to wait a week after hearing Disney's magical DVC presentation is excellent advice. Most of us love our DVC, but you want to take time to think about your budget and vacation plans before spending that much $$$ ;) even with the 10 day cancellation clause (someone said it's 7 in California?? just be sure to read EVERYTHING you sign since there are no standard Purchase Agreements in the Timeshare industry).

Last edited:
appreciate the honesty! What resort do you like since you don't like Riviera? Also considering that many have the 2042 expiration. Just curious. thanks!
In terms of where I like to stay best, I like the heavily-themed resorts. So Boulder Ridge, Copper Creek, Animal Kingdom, Polynesian.

In terms of where I'd like to buy if I were purchasing today:
  • Wait for Polynesian Direct and hope for strong incentives
  • Old Key West Direct due to current strong incentives
  • Animal Kingdom, Saratoga Springs, Bay Lake Tower, Polynesian, or Copper Creek resale

We are only looking at 150 points as that is all we can afford. I feel like from reading in different places online that not many people buy direct
Point 1: Unless you really need direct perks, which it doesn't sound like your family needs (AP discounts...nope, 10% off merch and food...sure but Disney visa gives it as well, access to Moonlight...possibly but once a year or every other year doubtful), then your dollar just stretches further in resale. Bay Lake and Copper Creek are incredible deals right now on the resale market and you still have access to the non-restricted resorts at the 7 month mark. This is what our family did just to get our DVC path started.
Point 2: I feel like most actually start direct under the influence of Pixie dust that add-on more resale/direct later once they learn the product. I could be wrong but I do feel most just buy direct while visiting the parks. I almost did but the 30k tag gave too much hesitation since we are just middle class folk in Tennessee. I still ended up spending 30k, lol, but I now have over 300 points and can do 1/2BR with ease 8-)
Either route you go, you won't be disappointed!

We bought direct at Riviera and love it, but we loved BW, too, but didn't want the 2042 expiration. We always do the 1B or 2B at Riviera. If you have questions about staying at Riviera, ask away. We have done everything but Tower Studios and Grand Villas, but we toured them many times.

We love our Riviera direct points and having booking priority there for the standard view (cheaper) rooms and getting a full week during peak weeks of kids' vacations. The resort is really laid out pretty perfectly, IMO, in terms of being spacious and not having a lot of dead space and wonky doors going to bedrooms and bathrooms like the BW/BC/SS-era 1B and 2B, but that's my personal preference.

I think having the direct points is good if you think you will want the Sorcerer Pass in the future and want to try CFW or VDH or other future resorts. We don't want to be locked out anywhere, and Riviera is our favorite, still, so no biggie to us to own there.

There currently is a very good deal on OKW. The expiration is shorter, 2057, and the dues are higher, but it's a great resort with spacious rooms. Your money can go farther there, all while getting you the blue card/direct benefits. Also, if you ever think you'd like a big family reunion-type trip, the OKW grand villas are beautiful and can be hard to grab if you don't own there.

If the new Poly tower intrigues you, we've been discussing for literally YEARS when it'll go on sale, and the consensus seems to be pretty close to when the June 24th current promotion ends. I would expect Poly to be very expensive direct due to pent-up demand, location, and interest, but just food for thought if you think you want to buy in soon.

Long story short, we do not in any way regret Riviera direct points. We're waffling on Poly direct v. resale, depending on the promotions (and impatience level for points. Direct is instantaneous when you already own points and have a dashboard already set up.)

We started with 100 direct Riviera points, and that was a stretch for us financially when we bought in. We got the "bonus year" points due to wanting a September use year, and we banked points before our first trip in a studio. Be bought in 2019 and didn't go until December, 2020, in the midst of all the C19 shutdowns. We did one night in the beautiful studio and then got upgraded to a 1B after my husband sweet talked the lady at the front desk (plus the hotel was empty due to C19 slow bookings.) Well, that did it for us. Once we got a hit of the 1B, the jig was up. We added on more direct points from the king-sized bed at Riviera, LOL.

Add-on-itis is real, but have no fear, you can take your time and try out the 150.

Point 1: Unless you really need direct perks, which it doesn't sound like your family needs (AP discounts...nope, 10% off merch and food...sure but Disney visa gives it as well, access to Moonlight...possibly but once a year or every other year doubtful), then your dollar just stretches further in resale. Bay Lake and Copper Creek are incredible deals right now on the resale market and you still have access to the non-restricted resorts at the 7 month mark. This is what our family did just to get our DVC path started.
Point 2: I feel like most actually start direct under the influence of Pixie dust that add-on more resale/direct later once they learn the product. I could be wrong but I do feel most just buy direct while visiting the parks. I almost did but the 30k tag gave too much hesitation since we are just middle class folk in Tennessee. I still ended up spending 30k, lol, but I now have over 300 points and can do 1/2BR with ease 8-)
Either route you go, you won't be disappointed!
This is good advice and the only addition I’d add is that CCV only allows 4 people in both the studio and 1bdrm so your family would automatically have to get 2bdrms. Now the point charts are decent and at current prices you could probably get 250-300pts in the $120s (some have gotten even lower but that’s less uncommon) so that would counter the cost of needing more points which is good. Plus the resort as a whole is so beautiful and the 2bdrms are SO nice.

I don’t really like BLT myself but the convenience of being 5 min walk to MK can’t be understated, especially with young kids. This is another one where the studio only sleeps 4, but the 1bdrm fits 5 and I’ve heard they’re big rooms and have 2 full baths which would be very important with a family of 5.

BWV is great if you’re not really bothered by the 2042 expiration and understand that the perceived financial value is not as good as other resorts but if it’s where you want to stay more than anywhere else, then I say who cares? The only other thing you should consider is that standard view studios (and consequently 2bdrms because they’re all lock offs at BWV-once the studios are gone, so are the 2bdrms) are really competitive all year round and the 1bdrms won’t fit your family so you’ll have to be more strategic with your trip planning for this resort, or be ok with going to the more point heavy rooms like pool/garden.

I also agree with everything @🍀TwinsMom said. We own at the Riviera and it really is the resort we want to go back to most (that and the Poly right now!) It’s worth the cost for us and if you really want to be able to book there or any of the new resorts, even some of the time, then going resale isn’t the way for you.

Good luck, you’re on a fun journey ahead no matter what decision!

Touring RIV was the original reason we purchased DVC at all. My wife and I were on an adult trip and stopped at Bar Riva for a drink on our way to Epcot. We decided to walk around the resort as we had never been there. We bumped into the DVC kiosk on the lower level and ended up doing a quick tour with our guide. We didn’t commit to anything but later in the trip we toured Poly and VGF and I ended up submitting an offer on a Poly resale before we flew home.

We ended up buying 150 RIV direct points with this last round of incentives to give us more flexibility in our December trips or taking several trips throughout the year.

In a small way, I hope DVC throws up an “Old Key West deal” on Animal Kingdom or even better Copper Creek because we would certainly pivot away from Poly if that happened. I missed last years AKV deal so hoping for another down the road 😎
This OKW incentive was my first Direct contract, but I'll absolutely buy more for a similar deal at Animal Kingdom or Aulani. Otherwise I'll probably hang on to my 150 OKW and do everything else resale.

Just to be sure you know, you can purchase almost any of the resorts Direct (I believe Grand Floridian and Poly are currently on hold) - OR if you purchase a contract thru Resale first - once that closes escrow (allow 30-60 days) you are then eligible to purchase small Direct "add-on" contracts (the minimum varies but 25 is the lowest, I think). This works well for some people - depends on your vacation theories and budget, of course.

BTW CastAStone's suggestion to wait a week after hearing Disney's magical DVC presentation is excellent advice. Most of us love our DVC, but you want to take time to think about your budget and vacation plans before spending that much $$$ ;) even with the 10 day cancellation clause (someone said it's 7 in California?? just be sure to read EVERYTHING you sign since there are no standard Purchase Agreements in the Timeshare industry).

So I own two resale SSR and I am buying a Poly resale now. In 60 days I can get 25 point add-on direct to get the card?

So I own two resale SSR and I am buying a Poly resale now. In 60 days I can get 25 point add-on direct to get the card?
Not really. You "currently" need to buy 150 points Direct (in any amount of contracts, I think) to be eligible for the Blue Card benefits. But if you bought a 25 point Aulani Direct after you already have a resale membership - those 25 points could be used at ANY of the current resorts - for example at the Disneyland Resort. Whereas your Poly resale points can only be used at the original 14 resorts.

Keep in mind, if Disney added a new resort in New York (unlikely lol) someday, they CAN change the rules again and your 25 point Aulani, while it works at Disneyland Hotel (current resorts) may Not work at some future resort. The Blue Card "Incidental Benefits" (which change all the time but currently include being able to get a discounted WDW annual pass and some lounges access, for example) are different than where you can Use your points. Hope that makes sense?

Effective?

So when I began hunting for contracts I was focusing only on asking price per point, not paying attention to the value of loaded points.

The contract I bought was for $115 per point. But it had 2022, 2023 and 2024 points on it. Though you pay dues for current UY, the seller has already paid dues for 22 and 23 points, so when renting those out, its 100% profit, with less profit on 2024 but still some. After renting those points out, it brings my effective cost per point to $83 and will have full points available for 2025.

It's like making your own magical beginnings essentially.

Not really. You "currently" need to buy 150 points Direct (in any amount of contracts, I think) to be eligible for the Blue Card benefits. But if you bought a 25 point Aulani Direct after you already have a resale membership - those 25 points could be used at ANY of the current resorts - for example at the Disneyland Resort. Whereas your Poly resale points can only be used at the original 14 resorts.

Keep in mind, if Disney added a new resort in New York (unlikely lol) someday, they CAN change the rules again and your 25 point Aulani, while it works at Disneyland Hotel (current resorts) may Not work at some future resort. The Blue Card "Incidental Benefits" are different than where you can Use your points. Hope that makes sense?
I didn't realize this - if you buy direct (at any amount), Disney is allowed to restrict usage at future resorts? I thought that was the entire value prop of buying direct?

I didn't realize this - if you buy direct (at any amount), Disney is allowed to restrict usage at future resorts? I thought that was the entire value prop of buying direct?
When they add something "new" they can choose whether to include it, I assume. They have often grandfathered people in for benefits (one of the reasons I'd consider buying resale or direct at this time) but they are VERY VERY clear in their documents that there are limitations on what you've been promised. I think the last Direct contract I saw was over 50 pages, and also referenced a lot of documents separately. I'll admit, I was a bit spooked by the documentation - maybe someone here has reviewed it enough to answer you more clearly.

If you want the ability to have home resort privileges at RIV and the ability to stay at other resorts now and in the future then I would just buy RIV directly.

As others have said, you can wait until you are in the 10 Day window before the next incentives are released in case incentives improve. Let your guide know your plan upfront.

The idea of breaking it up into a 100pt at 50 pt could add some resale downside protection. Given that there is not title insurance when buying direct from Disney, it’s pretty low cost downside protection.

The minimum direct points for the benefits card is 150.
That had always been my interpretation. We are already passholders so I haven't been enamored with the Blue card benefits outside of discounts. I guess the add on points are really for unfettered access to other resorts if they are for less than 150 points.

As a Canadian the ONLY benefit of the blue card for me would be access to the Sorcerer Pass, but even at two trips of 5 days in the park per year, I still just break even, so... since blue card benefits can change at any time from my understanding, the only tangible benefit of buying Riviera direct is you can use your points for all resorts.

You should do the math on buying two resale contracts, one at Riviera and one with legacy access to the other resorts, you may need the same capital but get more flexibility, and you can rent the points out the years you do not go.

The resale market is a buyer's market for sure right now. It will continue to be one for another year or so. When the BoC and the Feds start lowering rates again, we will slowly start working our way back to 2022 rates (check out https://www.dvcrofr.com/pricing-trends). Now is an excellent time to buy resale if you don't need direct benefits.

Crunch the numbers carefully and check all options.

Be warned though, when I started crunching numbers I went full Forest Gump and went from 0 points to 1147 points in a month. My wife laughed hysterically. I blamed disboard. We all good.

Last edited:
When they add something "new" they can choose whether to include it, I assume. They have often grandfathered people in for benefits (one of the reasons I'd consider buying resale or direct at this time) but they are VERY VERY clear in their documents that there are limitations on what you've been promised. I think the last Direct contract I saw was over 50 pages, and also referenced a lot of documents separately. I'll admit, I was a bit spooked by the documentation - maybe someone here has reviewed it enough to answer you more clearly.
I think they'd make a lot of direct points owners *Hella* angry if they ever built a new resort and said older direct points were no good there.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

Latest posts

facebook twitter