Considering purchasing Riviera direct or a resale somewhere else (BWV most likely) Help!

Point 1: Unless you really need direct perks, which it doesn't sound like your family needs (AP discounts...nope, 10% off merch and food...sure but Disney visa gives it as well, access to Moonlight...possibly but once a year or every other year doubtful), then your dollar just stretches further in resale. Bay Lake and Copper Creek are incredible deals right now on the resale market and you still have access to the non-restricted resorts at the 7 month mark. This is what our family did just to get our DVC path started.
Point 2: I feel like most actually start direct under the influence of Pixie dust that add-on more resale/direct later once they learn the product. I could be wrong but I do feel most just buy direct while visiting the parks. I almost did but the 30k tag gave too much hesitation since we are just middle class folk in Tennessee. I still ended up spending 30k, lol, but I now have over 300 points and can do 1/2BR with ease 8-)
Either route you go, you won't be disappointed!
I love the pricing of BLT and Copper Creek but was very bummed to learn their studios can’t fit 5 people. I want to make sure that my home resort is one that at least fits our family. Coopper creek 1 bedroom also doesn’t fit 5. We stayed in a two bedroom there in 2022 and do love it!

I love the pricing of BLT and Copper Creek but was very bummed to learn their studios can’t fit 5 people. I want to make sure that my home resort is one that at least fits our family. Coopper creek 1 bedroom also doesn’t fit 5. We stayed in a two bedroom there in 2022 and do love it!
Yes I was so bummed too. With three children CCV forces us into a 2BR. We bought 250 BRV resale for that reason.

I didn't realize this - if you buy direct (at any amount), Disney is allowed to restrict usage at future resorts? I thought that was the entire value prop of buying direct?
Not as far as I know. You buy direct you can use at any current & FUTURE resorts. As far as I know unless they’ve changed their sales speech from last year. Or unless someone is thinking about all the talk of a ‘Trust Ownership’ which could change everything as we know it…who knows with Disney

I think they'd make a lot of direct points owners *Hella* angry if they ever built a new resort and said older direct points were no good there.
And yes, I know I’d be ticked off

Not really. You "currently" need to buy 150 points Direct (in any amount of contracts, I think) to be eligible for the Blue Card benefits. But if you bought a 25 point Aulani Direct after you already have a resale membership - those 25 points could be used at ANY of the current resorts - for example at the Disneyland Resort. Whereas your Poly resale points can only be used at the original 14 resorts.

Keep in mind, if Disney added a new resort in New York (unlikely lol) someday, they CAN change the rules again and your 25 point Aulani, while it works at Disneyland Hotel (current resorts) may Not work at some future resort. The Blue Card "Incidental Benefits" (which change all the time but currently include being able to get a discounted WDW annual pass and some lounges access, for example) are different than where you can Use your points. Hope that makes sense?
I had not thought of this and it is SUPER helpful. We are in ROFR for a resale at CCV, but it's easier for us to frequent DL than WDW so knowing that I can buy 50 points direct and still use them every so often at VDH is great.

This is why I ended up making offers on both BLT + BCV. Flexibility to travel with 4 family members, or sometimes go with grandma too. Studios at BCV for just four of us, and we will stay elsewhere for 1 bedroom or more!

When they add something "new" they can choose whether to include it, I assume. They have often grandfathered people in for benefits (one of the reasons I'd consider buying resale or direct at this time) but they are VERY VERY clear in their documents that there are limitations on what you've been promised. I think the last Direct contract I saw was over 50 pages, and also referenced a lot of documents separately. I'll admit, I was a bit spooked by the documentation - maybe someone here has reviewed it enough to answer you more clearly.
This is my understanding as well. I asked my guide yesterday about the future resorts. To me that is the ONLY real benefit of buying direct right now. We don't be getting annual passes and the discounts are minimal. Buying direct allows me to stay at Riviera, Disneyland Villas, and Cabins (no interest there). I assumed it also meant future resorts i would be able to use my points at and he was very clear to say he can't guarantee that. Which is very frustrating when that's the only draw right now for spending way more money direct is to be able to stay at the newer resorts.

What were the incentives last summer, for comparison?
It worked out like this when we bought 150pts VGF last June:

GFV was at $217 per point.

$32,550 Full price

-$1,085 Free 5 points credit

-$2,500 Existing member incentive

-$1,500 Welcome Home discount for existing members with future booking (we had Dec ‘23 stay)

-$3,300 Rebate - Sell back 2022 Sept UY points at $22pp (I received a couple weeks after we made final payment)

$24,165/150pts = $161.10 per point

With closing costs we spent just under $25k for 150 points direct.

Even after selling back the first year of points I still had 41 years of points for us to use. We bought June 2023 and it came with 2022’s points. Once Sept 1st arrived I had 2023’s points and could also borrow 2024’s. Selling back one year of points didn’t hurt much.

You can also break up your payments. Our guide allowed us to pay $7k for 4 months, then we received $3300 rebate.

It worked out like this when we bought 150pts VGF last June:

GFV was at $217 per point.

$32,550 Full price

-$1,085 Free 5 points credit

-$2,500 Existing member incentive

-$1,500 Welcome Home discount for existing members with future booking (we had Dec ‘23 stay)

-$3,300 Rebate - Sell back 2022 Sept UY points at $22pp (I received a couple weeks after we made final payment)

$24,165/150pts = $161.10 per point

With closing costs we spent just under $25k for 150 points direct.

Even after selling back the first year of points I still had 41 years of points for us to use. We bought June 2023 and it came with 2022’s points. Once Sept 1st arrived I had 2023’s points and could also borrow 2024’s. Selling back one year of points didn’t hurt much.

You can also break up your payments. Our guide allowed us to pay $7k for 4 months, then we received $3300 rebate.
I jumped on that same deal :)

I assumed it also meant future resorts i would be able to use my points at and he was very clear to say he can't guarantee that.
This is really interesting. Maybe they’re just being more cautious about their wording now since they upset a lot of newer direct owners that were told that all new resorts would be required to use direct points to book, pre-Poly announcement? We’ve had a lot of debate about that here, of course, but I’m sure a good few members probably called their guides and complained about potentially being mislead? Could be a reason for why they’re hedging their answers now.

It could also mean there’s some serious changes in the not-so-distant future. But I’d have to believe they wouldn’t change something that is so integral to what DVC is and stopping direct owners from booking all the resorts goes against all of that. It would defeat the purpose of this product.

This is really interesting. Maybe they’re just being more cautious about their wording now since they upset a lot of newer direct owners that were told that all new resorts would be required to use direct points to book, pre-Poly announcement? We’ve had a lot of debate about that here, of course, but I’m sure a good few members probably called their guides and complained about potentially being mislead? Could be a reason for why they’re hedging their answers now.

It could also mean there’s some serious changes in the not-so-distant future. But I’d have to believe they wouldn’t change something that is so integral to what DVC is and stopping direct owners from booking all the resorts goes against all of that. It would defeat the purpose of this product.
There’s no way they would ever take that benefit away… it’s the only thing that properly differentiates the direct product from resale so would be self-defeating.

Copper Creek but was very bummed to learn their studios can’t fit 5 people
This is our issue too since we are a family of 5 but cramming 5 into studio's, pvb and okw being the exception, is not really an enjoyable stay anyways so we have enough points for a week every other year in a 2BR during the holidays :santa::cheer2: :santa:. Not ideal but the dues are reasonable for 175 CCV annually and added 75 SSR points for 7 month SAP but we are more comfortable and save tons by eating in the room throughout the day :-) I would venture to say the savings in cooking alone pays for our ssr dues annually.

After many trips with 4ppl in a studio we’re at that point now where we don’t want to anymore. Next trip we’ll be either 3 or 4. We need more space but I can’t cough up the points for 1BR if it only has 1 bath. So we booked 2 studios for what is most likely 3ppl. We couldn’t risk how annoying 1 bath would be if it ends up 4 ppl. Something so stupid but… 🤣

Honestly never thought I’d start considering 2BR. DVC is dangerous. Add-on-itis is no joke!

This is my understanding as well. I asked my guide yesterday about the future resorts. To me that is the ONLY real benefit of buying direct right now. We don't be getting annual passes and the discounts are minimal. Buying direct allows me to stay at Riviera, Disneyland Villas, and Cabins (no interest there). I assumed it also meant future resorts i would be able to use my points at and he was very clear to say he can't guarantee that. Which is very frustrating when that's the only draw right now for spending way more money direct is to be able to stay at the newer resorts.
10% off of food and merch is minimal? We do a lot of ADRs and Merch….

After many trips with 4ppl in a studio we’re at that point now where we don’t want to anymore. Next trip we’ll be either 3 or 4. We need more space but I can’t cough up the points for 1BR if it only has 1 bath. So we booked 2 studios for what is most likely 3ppl. We couldn’t risk how annoying 1 bath would be if it ends up 4 ppl. Something so stupid but… 🤣

Honestly never thought I’d start considering 2BR. DVC is dangerous. Add-on-itis is no joke!
The whole reason we finally pulled the trigger, besides the price crash last year, was that we stayed in a regular hotel room at WL as a family of 4 and we were like, nope, never again.

It was clearly only either DVC or the Family Suites for any future trips, and we picked DVC.

The whole reason we finally pulled the trigger, besides the price crash last year, was that we stayed in a regular hotel room at WL as a family of 4 and we were like, nope, never again.

It was clearly only either DVC or the Family Suites for any future trips, and we picked DVC.
💯

When they add something "new" they can choose whether to include it, I assume. They have often grandfathered people in for benefits (one of the reasons I'd consider buying resale or direct at this time) but they are VERY VERY clear in their documents that there are limitations on what you've been promised. I think the last Direct contract I saw was over 50 pages, and also referenced a lot of documents separately. I'll admit, I was a bit spooked by the documentation - maybe someone here has reviewed it enough to answer you more clearly.

DVD is never going to restrict points that they sell to be used at any of the other resorts.

It would make no sense to do that. However, the only thing one is guaranteed is use at their home resort, and any trading is part of the resort becoming part of BVTC via the DVC resort agreement.

That is why DVd can never guarantee the ability to stay elsewhere because you are buying the right to use your home resort and nothing more.

We were perfectly content with our resale points, just needed more points. We had Boardwalk and convinced ourselves a monorail resort could balance well and be cost effective for contract length and dues, and put in a few offers. Then DVC came out with great incentives. I had multiple offers not accepted ~$150pp VGF and Poly ~$140. Direct ended up $161pp VGF and we took it.

I’m actually shocked how much mileage we’ve gotten out of it already. DH decided we should go to DL. VDH studios were open that matched our dates (didn’t take it, that’s another story, but would’ve saved alot $). The lounge in DL was fun! We finally got to try Epcot lounge. We skipped MVMCP and booked Wicked Wind Down with family that joined us and all thought it was a fantastic deal at $60pp. It was a full meal for us with perfect view of Christmas fireworks. That trip we also saved the whole gang well over $500 on food (10-15%) and merch (20% off). We saved a big chunk on After Hours tickets. Spa foot massage gift to DH, 20% off. DVC gave me $150 for referring a buyer. We rented a big pontoon together for under $50 (15% off) and had an absolute blast driving around MK. When we realized park tickets for our 2 trips within 12 months exceeded Sorcerer Pass, we bought that and planned a 3rd visit! Yes that’s the Disney math 🤣 Still need to try Moonlight Magic.

Direct helped elevate our experience more than I imagined. The timing of purchase made the price difference negligible but even at an extra $2 or $3k might still end up being worth it. For us and our young adult children, how many trips might we take over the next 40 years. Had I found Poly at $140 I would’ve saved $3k - so I’ll use that. It’s costing me about 50 cents per point over life of contract. With TVM applied maybe $1 per point average. Am I getting value for $100 or $200 per year? That remains to be seen. It also helps that my dues are low, but if I’m able to book RIV, VDH, CFW and maybe Reflections or what comes next… we’re enjoying the lounges, special events, discounts, etc… I have a feeling it will keep us happy.

And the transaction took an hour where resale wasted hundreds of dollars of my sanity for nothing. Points loaded next day.

We were perfectly content with our resale points, just needed more points. We had Boardwalk and convinced ourselves a monorail resort could balance well and be cost effective for contract length and dues, and put in a few offers. Then DVC came out with great incentives. I had multiple offers not accepted ~$150pp VGF and Poly ~$140. Direct ended up $161pp VGF and we took it.

I’m actually shocked how much mileage we’ve gotten out of it already. DH decided we should go to DL. VDH studios were open that matched our dates (didn’t take it, that’s another story, but would’ve saved alot $). The lounge in DL was fun! We finally got to try Epcot lounge. We skipped MVMCP and booked Wicked Wind Down with family that joined us and all thought it was a fantastic deal at $60pp. It was a full meal for us with perfect view of Christmas fireworks. That trip we also saved the whole gang well over $500 on food (10-15%) and merch (20% off). We saved a big chunk on After Hours tickets. Spa foot massage gift to DH, 20% off. DVC gave me $150 for referring a buyer. We rented a big pontoon together for under $50 (15% off) and had an absolute blast driving around MK. When we realized park tickets for our 2 trips within 12 months exceeded Sorcerer Pass, we bought that and planned a 3rd visit! Yes that’s the Disney math 🤣 Still need to try Moonlight Magic.

Direct helped elevate our experience more than I imagined. The timing of purchase made the price difference negligible but even at an extra $2 or $3k might still end up being worth it. For us and our young adult children, how many trips might we take over the next 40 years. Had I found Poly at $140 I would’ve saved $3k - so I’ll use that. It’s costing me about 50 cents per point over life of contract. With TVM applied maybe $1 per point average. Am I getting value for $100 or $200 per year? That remains to be seen. It also helps that my dues are low, but if I’m able to book RIV, VDH, CFW and maybe Reflections or what comes next… we’re enjoying the lounges, special events, discounts, etc… I have a feeling it will keep us happy.

And the transaction took an hour where resale wasted hundreds of dollars of my sanity for nothing. Points loaded next day.
If this deal came out today, I would have jumped on it. The pricing was reasonably within spitting distance of resale prices, at a good resort location. I haven’t seen anything similar since, but I suspect it was a rare deal!

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter