Contemporary Resort Villas

tubtruck

Tubtastic
There is a lot of talk at the moment of people saying that they would buyat the Contemoprary if villas were built here. How many of these people I wonder actually consider the Contemporary their favourite resort and how many only want to own here because it is on the monorail ? If DVC were to build at the Poly or GF or a totally new resort on the monorail how much of this interest would dry up. Given that the Contemporary has shut one wing and before was struggling to attract cash guests it doesnt show that a great deal of people favour this resort against the other on the monorail. Do you also think that a large quantity of the present guests stay here for te reason that it is the cheapest accomodation available on the monorail?

Valid questions tubtruck...

I've only stayed at the CR once, back in 1993 because of a great deal. I personally loved it and am sad to not have been back. One of the unfortunate things about DVC is the # of points requried to stay out of a DVC resort such as any of the standard WDW/WDL hotels.

I, myself, would prefer CR over Poly or GF if given a choice. I feel the GF is too "high society" or "prim and proper" for me. I don't mean that as a dig, I'm just an Applebee's kind of guy who doesn't do fancy. The Poly is fine, nothing against it at all - I just prefer the "contemporary" theme over tropical. If they were to build an entirely new resort on the monorail? Well hard to say without knowing its theming.

Though I do agree, there's nothing contemporary about the contemporary anymore. It needs a revamp.

I would rather have a DVC at GF, but I doubt that will EVER happen. I wanted it because of DH and his tennis obsession. Since they moved the tennis away from CR and over to GF, CRV (if it does happen) will be the closest DVC to a tennis pro.
I'm not crazy about the new decor at CR, seems rather like a regular hotel room you would find anywhere. Does anyone think CRV would look any different?
Also I'm wondering is if they do have CRV will they change the free parking perk that DVC'ers have at any DVC. Wouldn't alot of people from the other DVC drive and park at CRV to go to MK? :confused3

This is a great post because I hate the lack of theaming at the Contemporary. I hope DVC never builds there. I know many people want it but I agree that most do because of the Monorail. I bet if a stand alone DVC was built with Monorail Access, or a DVC at GF or Poly, many of these "Contemporary fans" would change their tune.

We've stayed in the tower rooms three times and have always enjoyed it. I would buy there over the other monorail resorts for the walking path to the MK. I hate the bus/boat/monorail lines at closing time!

I, too, like the CR as a stand alone resort seperate from the DVC. It is my personal favorite monorail resort. The tower is perfect for my father who has a hard time getting around - walking the parks is enough for him. Everything is self contained - check in, restaurants. The monorail is an elevator ride away. You can't beat a MK view from the tower overlooking the MK as opposed to the Poly or GF just looking across at the MK. That said, I'm not really sure I want to see my favorite resort change. And to make a DVC resort out of the north wing would mean making a much larger structure that would (possibly) loom over the MK and the CR. We'll just have to wait and see what the architects come up with.

I doubt very many (or a very high percentage anyway) folks hoping for CRV consider CR itself as thier favorite resort. For us it would be CRV and walking distance to MK that would make it so desireable.

I think if CRV is out, then either POLY or GF would be wonderfull (esp GF).

Regardless we think CRV location is far superior to even POLY or GF. The views into MK would be incredible and you still would have the option to walk back and forth to your room, regardles of how busy the bus/boats/monorail are-espeically after NYE fireworks for example.

How's this for juxtaposition:

Our 2 favorite resorts are AKL and the CR (especially post-rehab).

I actually really like the CR's setup, as a resort. While I"m not keen on the theming (or lack thereof), I love the grounds, the facilities, the concourse, the LOOK of the building, itself (the tower, obviously), as well as the proximity to great dining (family and fine). Even the lake views are wonderful. Having direct monorail access bumps it up some, too. To me, it's the best pure resort we've stayed at (I think the GF would be the best overall, but we've not stayed there...like someone said: too prim and proper feeling for our family).

Now, AKL we love BECAUSE of the theming. It is, IMHO, the best themed resort on property and certainly the best we've stayed in. What it lacks in facilities or accessibility, it more than makes up for with that huge, beautiful lobby, the savannah, the art displays scattered throughout, and the room decor. Boma, Jiko's, and even the food court are an impressive array of dinng options, to boot. And the pool area is just beautiful.

I love the CR but would probably choose the Poly over it. They can keep the GF, I'm not attracted to the country club atmosphere (although I love the GF cafe). I'll be thrilled with the CR, but if they ever do the Poly I'd need to add on.

I personally would prefer a new resort built for DVC on the monorail. But at the same time I can see why Disney would make a DVC resort added onto the CR. Quite a few people feel that CR is outdated and not very appealing. Disney may feel that adding as a DVC portion may increase the attractiveness of it. Who knows if they do add on a DVC part they may remodel it as well. However, I'm not getting my hopes up for that. Each DVC resort has attracted people for different reasons. I am certain that if CR becomes a DVC resort there are numerous folks out there that will buy because of the monorail and it's location to MK.

CR is my favorite monorail resort.
In fact it is my favorite of the Disney Deluxe resorts

I have never cared for the theming at any of Disney's other Deluxe resorts.

When I go to Disney I want my resort to remind me I am at Disney.

I do not want a beach or boardwalk theme , a Hawaiian theme or New England theme.

The CR has the monorail running through the tower and is within walking distance of the MK.

I love that Disney feel.:wizard:

We just bought into DVC at OKW and decided that CRV would be a resort we would buy a full contract at. We have 3 kids so convenience plus having something to look at if you are stuck in the room is worth it. Our kids are young, we will be stuck in the room! :)

I would love one at the Polyn - but that is not going to happen - at least not in the foreseeable future.

if you want a DVC resort on the monrail - then it has to be the Cont.

agreed with Linda - love the monrail going through the hotel - plus if they do build the CRV - it will have access to this hotel/monrail - but won't need the white noise that the Cont does.

I don't do well with white noise - it gets on my nerves.

the plans are descripted and it looks like the building that Tink10 first found.

it is also the one in my signature.

I have faith in DVC. they have yet to build a building that is badly designed.

I do believe that once this building is up - people (even the ones on the resort board who hate the idea of anything being done at WDW) will love it.

Actually, CR is probably one of my favorite resorts if not my fave. We only chose BWV because of the Boardwalk and being close to 2 parks. Take away the Boardwalk and accessablity to 2 parks, I wouldn't have chosen BWV. It's the same reasoning.

I love the Poly but there is simply no room to add on the existing resort.

Work at the Contempoary is underway as the NorthGarden Wings are being demolished in order to make room for the major new addition... Think of how many points per night it will be for a monorail DVC!!!

Actually, CR is probably one of my favorite resorts if not my fave. We only chose BWV because of the Boardwalk and being close to 2 parks. Take away the Boardwalk and accessablity to 2 parks, I wouldn't have chosen BWV. It's the same reasoning.

I semi-agree with this....the main reason we chose BWV was it's proximity to 2 parks. We also love the theming and the Boardwalk itself so take away the 2 park locations, it still would be our favorite.

I would love a DVC at the Contemporary for it's proximity to MK. Not totally for the monorail, but being able to walk back from MK. Again, it's great being able to walk back from Illuminations and Fantasmic and not having to deal the crowds at the bus. If it was away from the park, but still on the monorail, I think that would change my opinion as you would still have a crowd of people wanting to get back to the resort via the monorail.

For theming, I much prefer the Polynesian. It's always so otherworldly there. But they won't ever do a DVC there, or at least not for a long long loooooong time. There's just no room. TTC on the right and the Luau and Wedding Pavilion on the left. It would have to be a really small resort built out of existing buildings.

But Contemporary has the prime location. It is the only resort within walking distance of MK. Sure, you can take the monorail if you wish, but you are literally a hop, skip & jump from MK anyway.

Again, there's also precious little room to build a DVC without that. Perhaps somewhere on the line between the TTC & Contemporary, but the waterways block any direct walking.

I like Chef Mickey's and the concourse shops. And people rave about the other restaurants. The arcade has entertained my nephews for several hours on a cold, rainy day. I imagine a new DVC would add to the collection of amenities. I hope that also includes a zero entry pool.

Grand Floridian is nice but I agree with whoever said it was too ritzy. I half wondered if I should be embarrassed for wearing shorts inside.:eek:

We would stay at a CRV, for the experience, but not buy there. While it would be cool to take the monorail to the parks, just like the old days at the Disneyland Hotel. We'd wake up,have breakfast at the Monorail Cafe and hop on the monorail straight into Tomorrowland.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

Latest posts

facebook twitter