Contemporary Suites Permits

Wow! Sounds like a lot of well thought out and articulated arguments about something that doesn't exist (Yet)

Hey, anyone seen BigFoot lately? ;)

Wow! Sounds like a lot of well thought out and articulated arguments about something that doesn't exist (Yet)

Yup, he was on the Howard Stern show just the other morning....

:)

:rotfl2:
The problem is it does exist. Bigfoot has been captured (i.e. construction permits, pictures, earth moves, plumbing, etc...)

The only question now is whether this thing that was captured is just some hairy guy, an overgrown bear, or really Bigfoot - and thats what we are debating now!

(and please don't ask me to come up with an analogy for the mixed use building - it gets into some really weird biological stuff I don't wanna touch :scared1: )

:rotfl2:

(and please don't ask me to come up with an analogy for the mixed use building - it gets into some really weird biological stuff I don't wanna touch :scared1: )

A Hermaphrodite Bigfoot. Now THAT'S an image I won't get out of my head for awhile......

See, I just MENTION Howard Stern and look at the way the conversation turns...

That sound everyone just heard was this thread coming to a very destructive and immediate halt... :rotfl:

We now return you to the complete and total speculation about the construction project without further ado... popcorn::

Chris

This I think you might be right about - willing to pay more than current DVC to get a few more amenities. If CRV materializes and is more expensive - even potentially somewhat significantly - we'd be in (we call it our "monorail tax", though!!). I do think that many people in that "class" are also perfectly fine with DVC accommodations as they are, though. It's a family trip to WDW - save the luxury for New York or Paris without the kids. ;) I would worry from a business perspective how current DVC members would feel about almost a separate class of DVC...:confused:... sounds like a bit of a PR mess.

OK... so... my 2 cents...

1) the jet setters are at 4S now, or something like the Ritz in Orlando already
2) current DVC members are mostly happy with current DVC accommodations (I'm assuming?)
3) these... what... self-made mini-millionaires want something in between, BUT many are probably fine with renting current DVC accommodations for a family vacation

Not sure how much that leaves over to make suites profitable... :confused3 I just don't know... it's a question of how large the market is, I guess, but I do see your point about it being there.

I'm the demographic that Budshark is talking about, and yes I would pay more for a an upscale DVC unit. Until the exchange rate improves I am not going to be making my semi-annual trips to London anytime soon, certainly not taking the whole family(about $2 buys you one British pound). We prefer 2 bedroom accomodations always(even pre DVC) and like the flexibility of the DVC point system compared to the fixed weeks. I have stayed in timeshares that were definately about 5 steps above DVC, and stayed in ones not as nice as DVC. We like nice places but don't want to be walking on eggs that the kids are going to break some fancy nicknack. So we are looking for family friendly upscale but not too upscale. And no I would not be comfortable renting points, I think most people with my net worth and time, would buy into DVC like we did, or book cash reservations. I certainly wouldn't have even considered renting a reservation.

I'm the demographic that Budshark is talking about, and yes I would pay more for a an upscale DVC unit. Until the exchange rate improves I am not going to be making my semi-annual trips to London anytime soon, certainly not taking the whole family(about $2 buys you one British pound). We prefer 2 bedroom accomodations always(even pre DVC) and like the flexibility of the DVC point system compared to the fixed weeks. I have stayed in timeshares that were definately about 5 steps above DVC, and stayed in ones not as nice as DVC. We like nice places but don't want to be walking on eggs that the kids are going to break some fancy nicknack. So we are looking for family friendly upscale but not too upscale. And no I would not be comfortable renting points, I think most people with my net worth and time, would buy into DVC like we did, or book cash reservations. I certainly wouldn't have even considered renting a reservation.

Would you stay at the Four Seasons? I get the impression Disney is trying to accommodate a demand for a more upscale arrangement without creating an obvious class system within DVC.

Would you stay at the Four Seasons? I get the impression Disney is trying to accommodate a demand for a more upscale arrangement without creating an obvious class system within DVC.

Personally me? No. Because it just doesn't fit my daughter and we don't need that level of accomodation.

I am looking for certain criteria (and it sounds like Starr is similiar). I have some trade-offs with DVC, but it was the best fit. Here's what I "want":

1) Premium location (hence BWV for me)
2) Planned vacations with some cost value (otherwise I might get too busy to go and I like the value of prepaid multi-room stays)
3) Space (I stay in enough hotel rooms with work - I need space on vacation)
4) Cleanliness (I do not want a dirty room on the 1st, 2nd, 3rd, etc day...)
5) Room service (Not food wise, but I expect/want clean towels, beds made, countertops wiped down - I'm on vacation! Don't try to save me some $$$ by taking away some relaxation!)
6) Kept up rooms. (I don't like finding broken doors, trashed carpet, etc)

So with DVC I give up 4, 5, and 6. Yes, I can address 4 and 5 with a little extra $$$ per day, but thats a pain. And the lack of 4 and 5 affect 6 in my opinion.

I'm not crazy about the fixed week system, we spent alot of time considering a fixed week timeshare in Northern MI, but it doesn't work for us with kids in school. 4S' s other locations are not that interesting to us. I actually hotel wise prefer Ritz-Carlton to 4S. I really just want a very well maintained room that looks good, I don't need a bunch of extra services(unless it was a VIP fastpass).

We're interested in CRV for the location, if it gets the okay we'll probably add on whether it's high end or "regular" DVC :thumbsup2 . I would just like to see an upgrade in the materials-furnishings. I don't need the Subzero frig or Viking stove on vacation.:rotfl: We had a timeshare in N. Michigan with those items, I actually did cook to check out the Viking though.:laughing: .

5) Room service (Not food wise, but I expect/want clean towels, beds made, countertops wiped down - I'm on vacation! Don't try to save me some $$$ by taking away some relaxation!)

I don't want daily housekeeping, I prefer my privacy. So the DVC system of only making those pay who want it seems fair to me.

I don't think alot of DVC members are looking for upscale. I don't think WDW is the place to go for an "upscale" vacation.

I don't think alot of DVC members are looking for upscale. I don't think WDW is the place to go for an "upscale" vacation.

It depends on what you consider "upscale". Sitting on a private beach, with personal waiters? No the World might not be "upscale"

Traveling to a location that has amenities for everyone in the family, and does so in a comfortable, inviting, and fun way? The World fits that pretty good.

Don't assume that "upscale" people don't want golf, water parks, theme parks, entertainment, variation each day, themed hotels, and all of this without having to travel to different locations.

Disney recognizes that there is appeal to the 'environment' of the World without necessarily assuming that everyone wants to go to the parks everyday. In fact, if it wasn't for this appeal we wouldn't have bought DVC. Its the ability for my daughter to go to the parks with her grandparents, me to go golfing, the wife to have a relaxing day by different themed pools, all of us to get back together in the evening and go to dinner and a show. And the next day going to DTD or AKV as a whole group. And in the meantime being able to have private rooms, in a well-kept hotel, coming back each night to fresh towels, cleaned bathrooms, etc. This to me is an "upscale" vacation I am willing to spend money on.

Hmmm... I guess we're a bit mixed on this here. What is a millionaire crowd anymore? Where do you draw the line?

Again, I'm not talking JetSet millionaires here. I'm talking upper middle to wealthy income families (say $125,000/yr - $500,000/yr) that have vacations as a priority. They have 1-2 kids, they're in their upper 30s to 40s. They drive modest cars, live in decent houses with space, and have relatively large disposable incomes. They aren't JetSet, they're self-made, and shop at Walmart, target, Sams Club, etc. There's a huge demographic in this area.

Now, will they stay in a Suite? At $1000/night? No, probably not - its just not their 'lifestyle' and its a bit rich for their blood. 4 Seasons, Ritz's etc. - while they could afford them its not what they are used to and would take a family too.

This is the class I am talking about. They don't stay at the All-Stars, they'd prefer multiple room hotel suites, but they aren't gonna go for $1000/night. However, the typical 10 year old DVC suite might seem a bit "beat up". There's a middle market here.

The $400-$600/night 2 bedroom "suite" that isn't italian marble. You might also find this "class" willing to pay DVC $150+/pt and $7-$8 maintenance fees/pt to stay on a monorail resort and have daily service just like a hotel.

Chris

I agree I can well afford to stay any of Disney's resorts and if Disney did offer a $400-$600/night 2 bedroom "suite" with daily service on a monorail I would jump at that in an instant.

The CR has been a fav of mine since I stayed there in 1990.
Since then I became disabled and need a roll in shower.
At present I think the CR tower only has 2 MK view rooms--- 1 on the 12th floor and 1 on the 14th floor with roll in showers.
I have chosen not to book one of those because I want others to be able to experience that breath taking view.

When the new building is built ( Disney Suites or DVC) they will need to follow current ADA requirements and I would buy DVC (or rent a Suite) at the new tower.

I have been waiting for 15 years for a DVC on a monorail I guess I can just I can wait a few more.

BTW

We do stay at the All Stars currently.

DH and like the extra room in the Family Suites and we do enjoy the theming at All Star Music.

But the major reason we stay there is because:

The entry at the values and Mods are much more Handicap friendly.
I am able to get in and out of my All Star room unassisted. This way my husband can go and play a round of golf and know I can leave my room to relax by the pool if I choose.

All_Star_Sports_Room_View.gif

All Star room layout

The Deluxe rooms have a narrow hall with the bath on one side and closet on the other. I cannot open the door from the inside unassisted.

Disney_Polynesian_Resort_ROOM_LR.gif

Poly layout

Just my 2 cents.......

I know there is great speculation about whether DVC is or is not coming to the Contemporary and just wanted to post what I was told this week while out there. My husband and I took the Keys to the Kingdom tour on May 9 and someone asked our tour guide about what was going where the north wing used to be. He openly said that it was going to be DVC. I told him that he was the first cast member to say that instead of the normal reply of we can't discuss that. He said he was shocked that none of the other cast members would say that it was DVC because he gets cast member Emails about it all of the time. I know, I know, he may still be wrong, but I am sure hoping that DVC gets built there!

Evidently, our standards are much lower.:rolleyes1

I'm not looking for spacious accommodations whether DVC or resort stay @ WDW; just a nice, clean studio...same type as when we visit the beach but; hopefully bigger than a standard balcony cabin on a cruise line. We rarely spend much time in the room; far too much going on in the "World" to miss.

If there is a demand for more opulent lodging within DVC, and folks are clamoring to spend more money - so be it. I'm secure enough to "rough it" while on vacation with suffering any permanent damage;) .

Just hope they don't eliminate those of us who are happy with the basic studio from enjoying the 1st DVC monorail resort.

Lots of different demographics, while you may have tons of disposable income when your children are young; life does come at you fast - wait until you have a few of the little darlings in college; then start paying for weddings, etc.

I'm secure enough to "rough it" while on vacation with suffering any permanent damage .
:rotfl2: :thumbsup2

And no I would not be comfortable renting points, I think most people with my net worth and time, would buy into DVC like we did, or book cash reservations. I certainly wouldn't have even considered renting a reservation.

To clarify - I wasn't talking about renting someone's points - I was talking about cash reservations.

Let's not get too snobbish about this folks! :snooty: Unless I am mistaken, Disney already nabbed ALL of us here WITHOUT "more upscale" accommodations!! :duck: :lmao: I thought people were trying to refer to some big untapped upscale market, not folks who already give Disney a big chunk of their money for annual family vacations. :rolleyes1 They got all of us here already, guys! ;) One big happy DVC family! :grouphug:

Maybe we should just go back to discussing Big Foot... so anyone else seen him around lately, and more importantly, would he stay in a suite?! :rotfl: (a little punchy... can you tell? It's been a long week!)

Personally me? No. Because it just doesn't fit my daughter and we don't need that level of accomodation.

I am looking for certain criteria (and it sounds like Starr is similiar). I have some trade-offs with DVC, but it was the best fit. Here's what I "want":

1) Premium location (hence BWV for me)
2) Planned vacations with some cost value (otherwise I might get too busy to go and I like the value of prepaid multi-room stays)
3) Space (I stay in enough hotel rooms with work - I need space on vacation)
4) Cleanliness (I do not want a dirty room on the 1st, 2nd, 3rd, etc day...)
6) Kept up rooms. (I don't like finding broken doors, trashed carpet, etc)

So with DVC I give up 4, 5, and 6. Yes, I can address 4 and 5 with a little extra $$$ per day, but thats a pain. And the lack of 4 and 5 affect 6 in my opinion.
How is it a pain to pay for 4) and 5)? :confused3 I'm pretty new to DVC and have only stayed at SSR so far, so I don't know about 6) yet - is it really that big a problem?

I'm pretty new to DVC and have only stayed at SSR so far, so I don't know about 6) [maintenance] yet - is it really that big a problem?

For the most part it's the nature of the beast.

In the most recent fiscal year, WDW resorts averaged 92% occupancy. That means that most nights each resort still had dozens of vacancies. If a room is discovered to be in need of extra maintenance (carpet shampooed, painting, holes in walls, minor plumbing issues, broken door handles / cabinets, etc.) they can easily remove the room from service for a couple of days to complete the repairs.

Timeshares, on the other hand, are designed to operate near 100% occupancy year-round. DVC does retain some ownership (reportedly around 3-4%) which is used to take rooms out of service. But I've never seen a really good explanation of how that time is used. Do they use just for planned room rehabs (painting, carpet replacement, furniture and applicance replacement, etc.) or do they use it to hold back a room or two every single night? :confused3

Regardless of how they do it, the resort has very limited ability to handle major issues on the fly. For the sake of argument, let's assume that the resort does have one excess room on any given day. Well, if three rooms are in need of a little extra TLC, two of them aren't going to get it. Between the 11am check-out time and the 4pm check-in time, the resort must prepare a livable room for every single arriving guest. Sadly that means some rooms will never make it to pristine condition.

The limited housekeeping schedule probably doesn't help either. You could have a room occupied for a full week without any scheduled cleaning. If the next CM to clean the room does a poor job, or they are short-staffed, or it's getting close to 4pm, the room's one weekly cleaning is going to be a mediocre one. That's how "major" issues like mold in the bathroom or crumbs under the sofabed start to take root.

The problem is likely to be most evident at resorts like BCV and BWV since they apparently have the highest occupancy. Even during the slow seasons it seems like there is no shortage of demand for these resorts among DVC members, so the number of nights when they are under full occupancy may be few and far between.

DVC resorts set annual budgets and their expenditures for things like furniture replacement will stay within those budgets. Unless it becomes completely non-functional, beaten and scratched furniture in a DVC room is unlikely to be replaced until the schedule dictates. But, if Disney is charging guests $500+ per night for a non-DVC room, a complaint about the quality of the furnishings is likely to be addressed quite quickly.

I have read most of the posts on this and here is my .02.

If this building was to be a CRO rental only facility, I think that they would have already announced it by now. Some have said that announcing a CRV would cannibalize sales from SSR or AKV, and while it may, I think that not announcing anything for the CR property is just as bad to DVC sales, if not worse. To me, if I thought that there was a chance of a CRV and I really wanted CRV, then I would wait it out instead of purchasing SSR or AKV. So, I am left with the deduction that it will either be a CRV or some kind of mixed use building as those have been discussed in previous posts.

Also, one other poster made great sense in that if you wanted to have your highest level of guest service "ear"marked for this segment, that you would make room in main building on the MK side of the resort. I know that if I were shelling out $500 to $600 for a room, I'd sure expect it to be high up in the main tower.

My guess (NOTE: This is purely a guess and is probably as wrong as can be, but...) is that MOST of the building will be a DVC. I have seen where this building will be 15 or 16 stories. My completely uneducated guess is that the whole project was slated to be a DVC and then someone got the idea to make the top few floors something like "penthouse" suites, akin to skyboxes at football stadiums. Want to schmooze your clients, take them up to the corporate suite, serve beer, wine, and appetizers, watch Wishes from the balcony, then close your deal.

So I think that maybe the upper floors get taken as a Disney "skybox" and the 10 or so lower floors are designated as DVC.

Again, I am probably way off base...

Tide - your guess is as good as any! You may be right in that the top 2-3 floors may be reserved for something 'special'.

Of course if Tide = Crimson Tide you are probably completely and totally DEAD WRONG!!! :lmao: :lmao:

GO GATORS!

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

Latest posts

facebook twitter