Convaid crusier, a stroller question?

saymama

Mouseketeer
I found out yesterday that I should get my convaid cruiser cx14 before we leave. Which I am so glad. A friend was gonna let me borrow her's and it's HUGE!!!! I am hoping that mine is a bit smaller.

Anyway, does anyone have problems anywhere with the stroller? Is it okay on the monorail? We are hoping to avoid the buses by going driving to the other parks. That way I don't have to fold it up to get on the bus. Its really bulky and hard to fold. Plus he'll bolt if I take him out, that's one of the reasons that we got it.

What about restuarants? I can't leave that outside. It's way too expensive. It cost over 1,700. I can let him sit in a chair, but I won't leave it for someone else to take. (it's a possibility-even at disney). So far the only reservations that I am making are at the Castle and crystal palace. Other than that, it's counter service or food in the room.

What about things like the train. I know that on most of the rides, I can leave the stoller and it will be there for me at the exit.

thanks for the help. I'm in mom stress mode. But I also have to get ready for the trip and do 2 IEP's before we leave!!!! fun fun fun. I'll need the vacation after that.

Unless you have a GAC to use the stroller as a wheelchair you are going to have to leave it outside rides and restaraunts.

You don't say is the stroller being used as a wheelchair for a disabled child?

edit: sorry I just recognized the name. But your post is vague unless someone has read all your other posts first.

We use a wheelchair for DS that looks a lot like a stroller. We take him everywhere in it and always leave him in on the Monorail. He can stay in it on the train.

If a Cast Member mistakes it for a stroller, we can normally just point out that it's a wheelchair and everything is fine. We did have a couple of unpleasant moments a trip or two ago, so we always get a GAC first thing now. We were ask to show it two or three times on our last visit, so DH just kept it in his pocket.

Sheila

I was talking with a CM at the train station and the reason that strollers have to be folded up on the train is because the restraints that they use to lock a wheelchair in don't work on strollers. So you should be able to ride on the train if you can fold the stroller up and take your son out of it. I know one family was pretty unhappy, but really, it is for safety sakes. If the stroller can't be locked in like a wheelchair it would be risky in case of an accident or sudden stop.

Supposedly no child is to be left in a stroller on the boats, but enforcement seems to be spotty at best. It makes sense to take children out of strollers on the boats, as you can imagine what would happen to the child in the stroller if the boat sank. MUCH safer to be in mom or dads arms.

On the monorail you will roll right in up a ramp. You may have to tell the CM at the monorail that you have a GAC (and show it), as there have been problems in the past with a CM putting down the ramp for a wheelchair or ECV and having a parent with a stroller shove right in front of that person and go up into the car. There are cars on the monorails that are designated for people in wheelchairs or ECV's (or strollers used as wheelchairs for disabled kids).

Originally posted by saymama
I found out yesterday that I should get my convaid cruiser cx14 before we leave. Which I am so glad...

Just wanted to say WooHoo!!!:bounce: :Pinkbounc

:D :D :D :D

:sunny:

The Convaid Cruiser is one of the mobility chairs that is approved for use in buses/vehicles with regular wheelchair tiedowns. It used to be an option, but it may now be just part of the standard chair. You can ask the people who deliver it to you or look at the materials you will get with the chair to find out whether or not your DS's is able to be tied down with wheelchair restraints.

Previously on the trains, they did attach wheelchairs down with a lock that clamped onto the back tires. When we were there in March, we went on the train several times with DD's wheelchair (a standard Quickie manual wheelchair). Both times, the CM told us to just lock her brakes and said they were no longer using the wheelchair clamps. We also saw someone with a special needs stroller just roll it right on.

The cx 14 Convaid Cruiser is not likley to be confused with a regular stroller because it is a lot larger (made for preteens and adolescents). The ones people have more problem with are for smaller children because some of the smaller special needs strollers are the same size and look pretty much the same as a regular stroller. Getting a GAC would be a good first stop for you, but you might not need it at all for being able to use your DS's new stroller. Since it will be larger than a stroller and have a larger child in it, CMs may have no problem identifying it.

Hi All,

I am new to the group but not new to the DIS as I have been following the DCL board for many years. My son has the Convaid EZ Rider which is one of the smaller special needs strollers and I have been reading several of the posts here and would like some clarification. Broc has Infantile Spasms and is developmentally delayed. He can walk but is slow and sometimes unsteady. His cognative level is probably in the 9 month to 1 year range. He is only two so he can easily be carried or led by the hand if needed so we basically use the chair as a stroller for him so that we don't have to carry him long distances or to help contain him. If we are only using it as a stroller do we need to the GAC? Are strollers allowed in the lines for the rides?

Mike

OK... here's the scoop.

We used a Covaid for our child during our Familymoon to WDW 2 weeks ago. We ALWAYS use the stroller as it is a godsend.

1. Get a GAC stating it is a wheelchair so you can take it everywhere!!!

2. In resturants, tell them you will transfer him into a chair when you get to the table, fold it up and put it next to your table. that way you have piece of mind and it is close by. Ryleigh stayed in hers but was happy enough.

3. The train will take your Convaid on it without folding it up IF he stays in it on te ride. You will ride up front and even though we have tie-downs on our Convaid. They didn't use them.

4. As long as you have a GAC, you will not have to fold it up on any of the busues as it is seen as a wheelchair!

5> Ryleig stayed in her convaid on the ferry both from Beach Club to Boardwalk and Magic Kingdom to TTC. Had no problems... just walked on!

6. Didn't use ramp on any monorail, just tipped stroller as I would a normal stroller to get up small incline. Was faster than waiting for the ramp.

Hope this helps.....

Let me know if you need any more info.

If we are only using it as a stroller do we need to the GAC? Are strollers allowed in the lines for the rides?
Wheelchairs are allowed pretty much in every building and waiting line (or there is an accessible entrance). Under normal circumstances, strollers are not allowed in lines or buidlings (other than stores). The larger special needs strollers are often recognized by the CMs as a mobility device, so they may be treated as a wheelchair. The smaller ones often look very much like a regular stroller, so tunless you have a GAC (Guest Assistance Card) that says to treat them as a wheelchair, the CMs may not allow them in line.
The train will take your Convaid on it without folding it up IF he stays in it on te ride. You will ride up front and even though we have tie-downs on our Convaid. They didn't use them.
They haven't been using tiedowns for wheelchairs on the train either. We rode the train several times with DD's wheelchair in March and they only told us to lock the brakes.
As long as you have a GAC, you will not have to fold it up on any of the busues as it is seen as a wheelchair!
Some people who had special needs strollers that did have tiedowns built in have reported that they did need to take theri child out and fold the stroller, even with a GAC (although they did load at the back door of the bus). The ones without built in tiedowns are not approved for transport, so you may get a driver who will not tie them down.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter