Coronavirus and DCL Megathread - Suspension of Departures for the fleet until early November. Booking only available from early December.

Sent this to Disney today.... Not sure if it will help, but I figure they need to hear from their passengers. I am NOT concerned about getting the virus itself, due to our family demographic (young and healthy), but I am getting increasingly concerned about potential quarantine during/after the cruise, as community spread picks up.

We are scheduled to sail on the Fantasy this April, which would be our 20th cruise (most of those with Disney). On this trip, we are bringing friends who have never cruised before.

Being experienced cruisers, very little phases us.... Until now. I am writing today to implore you, as a company, to put your guests first, and reconsider your current cancellation policy in light of the growing coronavirus spread. With news of a couple of cases popping up after a Grand Princess west coast sailing, this is hitting incredibly close to home. With community spread on the rise, the parameters that you and the other cruise lines (like Princess) are using aren’t sufficient to weed out every potential case coming onboard your ships.

I am not concerned about my immediate family getting the virus, as we are young and healthy. I am concerned about being exposed to it, then quarantined - I have enough paid vacation for this trip, NOT for two weeks additional quarantine time. While we are healthy, we have family/friends at home that are not, and we assist in driving them to cancer treatments and doctor visits, which we would not be able to do. In addition, the friends we are bringing along are both medical professionals, who need to be able to return to their patients, without concern of exposure.

Families shouldn’t have to decide between losing their hard earned money OR their health. As you know, you offer a high-end, premium product, with the price point to match. For many families, losing that amount, with nothing to show for it, would be a difficult pill to swallow. I realize that we, as passengers, all agree to your cancellation policy when we book our cruises... But this is an unprecedented event. I would ask you to consider allowing guests within the penalty period to move their bookings out up to one year - so no refund of money to the guests, but a postponement. The goodwill and company loyalty that this would generate would be immense.

I would appreciate if you would forward this to a supervisor. Thank you for your time and consideration.

Yes I am very disappointed in Disney's treatment of it's client base (families with children) during a clear lethal health crisis pandemic. They have made more than enough money off of all of us over many years. We have a 7-Night on the Fantasy in May where we purchased 2 Concierge cabins; one of them being for two elderly Grandmas 70+ years old who now have zero desire to go on a cruise due to their higher risk factor with this pandemic. We have already paid in full and I called Disney today and they will take 50% ($5500) as a 'cancellation fee'. It would be nice for some Govt intervention on companies doing this to consumers during a pandemic as Disney clearly has placed its own financial interest above our health and lives.
Going on a cruise is a choice that comes with risks. It's not the government's responsibility to reimburse you because you didn't buy insurance. First, this is not a pandemic and second, it's not lethal.

Going on a cruise is a choice that comes with risks. It's not the government's responsibility to reimburse you because you didn't buy insurance. First, this is not a pandemic and second, it's not lethal.
I agree with this, however, whether it's "lethal" or not can't really be determined at this time.

It appears that most of the people who've died had other health issues, combined with the virus making it "lethal" to them.

But, for healthy, younger people, it appears to be not worse than getting the flu.

And easily spread since it seems that people who have it are not symptomatic when they are contagious.

Anyone else a little nervous about this? I leave for a cruise in a week, my excitement is now turning into a little bit of anxiety. We are only going to the Bahamas, I plan on packing extra Lysol wipes and hand sanitizer. We are traveling by plane, so that worries me too with all the germs. Any other tips!?

I am not cruising but if you are and you have medicine I would bring extra with you just in case you are quarantined.

Other than that you should be fine, wash your hands, sanitize, run away from anyone looking sick (just like you would on any cruise!)

After much consideration, I think we will be cancelling our May cruise on the fantasy. We are past PIF, but are still in the period to just lose our deposit. It just seems that every day, the outlook seems a little bleaker.

Our son just started a new job, so he absolutely can not be quarantined for any extended period. I am going to wait to cancel until the last minute, but I will cancel before losing half of the cruise fare. At this point, we will just take a refund. I would book another cruise if Disney allowed us too with no penalty. It just seems to be in Disney’s best interest for people to rebook instead of outright cancelling their cruises.
There is chatter about cruise lines allowing to rebook without penalty. Wait it out as long as you can.

There is chatter about cruise lines allowing to rebook without penalty. Wait it out as long as you can.

Yep. With another ship having issues tonight (Golden Princess), I suspect they are going to have to step and do something.

And now, we find out that someone at my husband’s work probably has Coronavirus after returning from Italy. Do I tell disney? Does that change my options for cancelling a May cruise, or is that too far in the future? So incredibly scary! Glad I have stockpiled some supplies.

And now, we find out that someone at my husband’s work probably has Coronavirus after returning from Italy. Do I tell disney? Does that change my options for cancelling a May cruise, or is that too far in the future? So incredibly scary! Glad I have stockpiled some supplies.
@cvjw this my opinion only: I don't think you need to change plans, nor stockpile even. DCL (as we all should) will strictly follow CDC recommendations, and there are no restrictions at this time. That may change of course, but it may not. So the only thing to do is trust the truly amazing scientists at the CDC, and keep washing your hands. I hope it all works out. https://www.cdc.gov/coronavirus/2019-ncov/index.html

Sent this to Disney today.... Not sure if it will help, but I figure they need to hear from their passengers. I am NOT concerned about getting the virus itself, due to our family demographic (young and healthy), but I am getting increasingly concerned about potential quarantine during/after the cruise, as community spread picks up.

We are scheduled to sail on the Fantasy this April, which would be our 20th cruise (most of those with Disney). On this trip, we are bringing friends who have never cruised before.

Being experienced cruisers, very little phases us.... Until now. I am writing today to implore you, as a company, to put your guests first, and reconsider your current cancellation policy in light of the growing coronavirus spread. With news of a couple of cases popping up after a Grand Princess west coast sailing, this is hitting incredibly close to home. With community spread on the rise, the parameters that you and the other cruise lines (like Princess) are using aren’t sufficient to weed out every potential case coming onboard your ships.

I am not concerned about my immediate family getting the virus, as we are young and healthy. I am concerned about being exposed to it, then quarantined - I have enough paid vacation for this trip, NOT for two weeks additional quarantine time. While we are healthy, we have family/friends at home that are not, and we assist in driving them to cancer treatments and doctor visits, which we would not be able to do. In addition, the friends we are bringing along are both medical professionals, who need to be able to return to their patients, without concern of exposure.

Families shouldn’t have to decide between losing their hard earned money OR their health. As you know, you offer a high-end, premium product, with the price point to match. For many families, losing that amount, with nothing to show for it, would be a difficult pill to swallow. I realize that we, as passengers, all agree to your cancellation policy when we book our cruises... But this is an unprecedented event. I would ask you to consider allowing guests within the penalty period to move their bookings out up to one year - so no refund of money to the guests, but a postponement. The goodwill and company loyalty that this would generate would be immense.

I would appreciate if you would forward this to a supervisor. Thank you for your time and consideration.

I sent a similar email to them the other day. The response I got was beyond disappointing and actually made me quite mad. They didn’t even acknowledge the subject of my email and just sent back the canned response about which area’s residents were not allowed to board and how they are screening for the virus prior to embarkation. I hope you get a better answer than I did.

has anyone told disney they have been in contact with someone from china/italy/iran or person showing symptoms? would they offer a refund ?

I agree with this, however, whether it's "lethal" or not can't really be determined at this time.

It appears that most of the people who've died had other health issues, combined with the virus making it "lethal" to them.

But, for healthy, younger people, it appears to be not worse than getting the flu.

And easily spread since it seems that people who have it are not symptomatic when they are contagious.
Lethal or not lethal it’s certainly not the government’s responsibility to reimburse people for a vacation Unfortunately cruising comes with a lot of risks wether it’s weather or illness. Im not saying the cruise lines shouldn’t do something. It would be great if they did, but they are not obligated to do so.
The cruise industry is going to take a big hit over the next year or so., but for those of that are willing to take the risks we should see some lower prices. I

Lethal or not lethal it’s certainly not the government’s responsibility to reimburse people for a vacation Unfortunately cruising comes with a lot of risks wether it’s weather or illness. Im not saying the cruise lines shouldn’t do something. It would be great if they did, but they are not obligated to do so.
The cruise industry is going to take a big hit over the next year or so., but for those of that are willing to take the risks we should see some lower prices. I
Oh, I agree. Didn't mean to make it sound like the government should force reimbursements.

According to AllEars this is the current policy (bolding mine):
Effective immediately, guests who have traveled from or through mainland China, or who have been in physical contact with a suspected or confirmed coronavirus case within 14 days of embarkation day will be unable to board at the Disney Cruise Line until further notice.

Has your husband been in physical contact with this person at work? If so, I'd say you should give DCL a call and ask what your options are.

You shouldnt hope that it gets officially named a pandemic, because then travel insurance doesn't have to reimburse you and probably DCL and any other company in the tourist industry don't have to either. Then you really are at the mercy of the goodwill of the hotel, airline, entertainment company. And then the question is, why should a company pay for it and you as an individual shouldnt. If a company goes bankrupt because of this (won't happen that easily to Disney, of course, but think small hotels), then more people are duped then those individuals losing out on a holiday.

Last edited:
According to the Points Guy, Viking is offering free cancellation on all cruises until 24 hours before departure through now through April 30! So impressive! I have never travelled with them but that is a big score in my book. I check every day hoping DCL will let me cancel/postpone my cruise. I hate the uncertainty.

i'm very disappointed in both DCL and ABD. Even more with ABD than DCL.

The coronavirus fear is a lot of media-fueled hysteria. Cruise ship or not you are far more likely to die of influenza than coronavirus.

Not if one is of older age with pre-existing conditions. Flu kills 0.1 percent of infected people vs COVID-19 being at 3.4% (WHO).

People around the world may have built up an immunity to the flu over time, the newness of the COVID-19 meant no one yet had immunity thus more people were susceptible to infection.

Not if one is of older age with pre-existing conditions. Flu kills 0.1 percent of infected people vs COVID-19 being at 3.4% (WHO).

People around the world may have built up an immunity to the flu over time, the newness of the COVID-19 meant no one yet had immunity thus more people were susceptible to infection.

it's very interesting..
i just was listening to an infectious diseases expert.
The interviewer kept asking her aren't we being overly cautious (we meaning, here in israel).
And she said they just don't know enough to know whether we're being overly cautious or the opposite.
She said what is so interesting to her is how in some countries they've had so many deaths and in others no deaths at all.
She wasn't talking about the death rate, since that's affected by the numbers of people we don't know are sick.
She was just talking about the fact that some countries have had many and others none.
It's not what's expected when you go by standard outcomes of known diseases.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

GET UP TO A $1000 SHIPBOARD CREDIT AND AN EXCLUSIVE GIFT!

If you make your Disney Cruise Line reservation with Dreams Unlimited Travel you’ll receive these incredible shipboard credits to spend on your cruise!

facebook twitter