Coronavirus discounts on the horizon?

Status
Not open for further replies.
I wish my DHs employer (federal energy company) would ban travel. Not gonna happen. He has to be gone 2 nights a week with no end in sight and I’m over it.

Last edited:
I don't know if this is coincidental or related to the virus, however on Tuesday I received a code for $69 + tax All-Star rooms for a few selected date periods in April and mid-May. I did go ahead and book, but I do also think the timing is interesting.

I just did this with Delta yesterday. My wait was also 3 hours and I actually got a call back prior to the 3 hours being up. The woman who helped us with our tickets was super efficient (they must be doing this all day long at this point) and we got a full e-credit toward future tickets. These were international tickets, however. I'm not sure what their policy is for domestic flights.
Regarding Delta flights:
Received a call back after about 3 hours, got everything taken care in less than 5 minutes. We had domestic flights scheduled for next Wed. Our plane tickets retain their value with NO change fees, travel needs to be completed one year from date of original purchase.

Last edited:
I don't know if this is coincidental or related to the virus, however on Tuesday I received a code for $69 + tax All-Star rooms for a few selected date periods in April and mid-May. I did go ahead and book, but I do also think the timing is interesting.
I got the same offer! Did yours have February dates on it too even though it was received on 3/3?
One of my dates fell within that range, so they did apply it to that one night when I called and asked about it.

Is DISNEY doing resort deals yet. Like really good deals. Discount rooms with free dining. Looking for June, if this virus think breaks in a few weeks. I would be ready to jump on that

No pin codes received (ever) but now getting email offers every week for WDW. Never had that before. Just received an offer this morning to buy into DVC. Disney def ramping up the promo machine even to international guests.

Regarding Delta flights:
Received a call back after about 3 hours, got everything taken care in less than 5 minutes. We had domestic flights scheduled for next Wed. Our plane tickets retain their value with NO change fees, travel needs to be completed one year from date of original purchase.
when did you purchase your tickets?

I got the same offer! Did yours have February dates on it too even though it was received on 3/3?
One of my dates fell within that range, so they did apply it to that one night when I called and asked about it.

No February dates on mine - I just went back and checked the email, and the dates are 4/25-4/30, 5/4-5/7 and 5/10-5/14 (which is when I picked to go) for standard All-Star rooms. I wasn't even supposed to be going but that darn Disney roped me right in! I also got a FANTASTIC deal on my flight so I just couldn't resist. That's awesome they were able to apply it to a night of your stay!!

We arrived for a 10 day trip on 4/17
We will not be canceling or changing a thing. I don’t let media scare me anyway. They try but I’m not falling for their hype
Now if they want to offer big discounts I’ll take them
We go to DL in May and will not be canceling that either. We are adding on to the trip hitting up the Grand Canyon too
We are here at Disney now and I see no one with a single concern about it
Same. We arrive 3/28 and if WDW is open we will be there. This virus is overhyped. Versions have been around for years. this is just a "novel" one. Check the side of the lysol can! It is basically RSV, but it targets the elderly rather than the young. Data are coming in now that reflect that it is a mild common cold like illness in the vast majority, and death rates in areas with long standing modern medical care are about 0.5%, fairly close to flu. That however, doesn't make a good news story.

when did you purchase your tickets?
Purchased November 2019 to Hawaii/Aulani. Super easy process, didn't even have to ask about NO change fees, offering it to everyone sounds like. Just have to use tickets one year from date of issue. Agent said you would need to call to rebook since online system can't recognize no change fees tied to original ticket.

Delta sent an email sometime last week saying they were waiving change fees. Period

I’ll see if I still have mine

Delta sent an email sometime last week saying they were waiving change fees. Period

I’ll see if I still have mine
Interesting. We have Delta flights booked for spring break and I don’t think I got an email. I’ll have to check. We are headed to DL and don’t currently have plans to cancel, but I also figured we’d have fees to change our flight.

Same. We arrive 3/28 and if WDW is open we will be there. This virus is overhyped. Versions have been around for years. this is just a "novel" one. Check the side of the lysol can! It is basically RSV, but it targets the elderly rather than the young. Data are coming in now that reflect that it is a mild common cold like illness in the vast majority, and death rates in areas with long standing modern medical care are about 0.5%, fairly close to flu. That however, doesn't make a good news story.
I think it's too early to cast it aside as hype. The elderly catch the flu and colds each year, but their mortality rate is a fraction compared to coronavirus. I believe if the virus was as widespread as yearly influenza, the mortality rate would be much higher.

I think it's too early to cast it aside as hype. The elderly catch the flu and colds each year, but their mortality rate is a fraction compared to coronavirus. I believe if the virus was as widespread as yearly influenza, the mortality rate would be much higher.
I don't think its too early. This is not a completely new virus, its a new member of a family of viruses we have known about for a long time. We understand their mechanism of infection, and it is much like the flu or common cold. while certian specifics of this virus are different, it is not totally unique. There is a lot we know about it.

Death rate from the flu in the US is anywhere from 0.1%- 0.3% depending on the stain and the year. South Korea has a large enough sample size of infected people and is a fair analog to the US medical system, so it makes a good basis for comparison. Death rate there is 0.5% and falling. As viruses like this become more widespread, their death rates tend to FALL not rise. Particularly when the originate in an area without the kind of medical care we enjoy in the US. Everyone in the scientific community I have spoken with who has done real reading on COVID-19 and what we know about it, the family of viruses from which it originates, and the disease mechanisms for coronavirues agrees. This is going to be the non-event SARS was a few years ago.

No February dates on mine - I just went back and checked the email, and the dates are 4/25-4/30, 5/4-5/7 and 5/10-5/14 (which is when I picked to go) for standard All-Star rooms. I wasn't even supposed to be going but that darn Disney roped me right in! I also got a FANTASTIC deal on my flight so I just couldn't resist. That's awesome they were able to apply it to a night of your stay!!

Congrats on the room and flight deal! I just went back and relooked at my email and now I don't see February (I am not sure where I saw that? Maybe I imagined it?!?! I swear I saw two Feb segments of options). The CM I spoke with was awesome, she worked a little magic for me :) (my reservation was for a preferred room since that was the only type of room available).

I was relooking flights since mine arrives after midnight, I haven't seen prices this low to MCO in a long time from the DC area and they seem to be dropping. Not flights to the midwest though, as of a day or two ago, they've gotten higher.

Last edited:
Third week of April as well (Hey, there!), flying all the way from Germany for a trip a good year in the making. Really hoping everything will be fine in both sides of the pond!
Hi we will be there 15th April from the UK unless our Foreign Office advise against travel to United States or the US Government prevent incoming flights from UK

I agree. it kind of bothers me about how people just go “ I live my life not in fear of a media—produced event” as if people who have concerns are somehow gullible or not as enlightened as they are. Or “ it’s just the flu, only the elderly are affected”. Even if you aren’t in the high risk category, I bet you have a loved one who is... My parents are in their 70s and 80s, so I do worry.

And it’s not just the flu... a medical professional giving Congress an update today even said to stop likening it to the flu. we have a vaccine for the flu (albeit not perfect). We have antivirals tested against the flu. I haven’t ever seen companies restrict travel and the US government put up level 3 and 4 advisories for influenza. I haven’t seen cruise ships denied ports and undergoing quarantine for influenza. And it’s not the US alone—other countries are imposing many more restrictions. It’s not like the Italian government is sitting around watching CNN and deciding to close all schools for a month. I don’t think South Korea gives a flying flip what is on US television.

I do think that the incidence is way higher in the US than known due to lack of testing and that the mortality rate will go down. But it’s something to watch...very closely. I’m not stockpiling, but I not going to just wave this off and tell myself that everything is totally normal

We aren't booked to go until the week after Thanksgiving this year, so I'm in a different boat than others here. I'm itching to see what Disney will do to combat the hits they're taking from coronavirus - both from current trips being shortened/cancelled/moved, and from the bottom-line hit of having 3 international parks closed for so long. Will they offer discounts for the rest of the year to encourage people to book and travel, or will they have a price hike to make up the lost revenue wherever they can? We'll see, but my fingers are always crossed for discounts.

Status
Not open for further replies.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter