• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

Costco Alamo

mbethel

Mouseketeer
Even though we don’t live anywhere near a Costco we just got a membership as part of refinancing our home. We have our member number so I checked alamo and got a $180 savings on our rental for this month’s trip! My question is this: the member number comes up as my husband’s name only although he could put me as the renter (he won’t be with us). Is that going to be a problem? Can I print out the member number as proof of membership if they ask? Our Sam’s membership includes both of us-does Costco work that way? He does travel for work and is in a town today that has a Costco. Should he try to get both of us cards?

I made a reservation via Costco/Alamo. I had to be the one to pick up the car even though dh could drive it. As I am disabled it was very difficult to get us and our luggage to the Alamo checkin counter. Next time I will make sure the reservation is in his name so he can pick it up.

A normal Costco membership allows for two adults. Get a card for yourself. However, the card has a picture on it so I think you’ll have to make the trek.

A normal Costco membership allows for two adults. Get a card for yourself. However, the card has a picture on it so I think you’ll have to make the trek.
Mine doesn’t have a picture on it. Neither does Dh’s

Yes, get yourself a card.

I always carry my Costco card when renting a car, but I’ve never been asked for it. I always use the Alamo confirmation number on the Costco reservation confirmation (shown right below the Costco assigned number) to link the reservation to my Alamo Insider account so I can do advance check-in to skip the counter and go directly to the garage to pick out a car.

The photo is optional. We don't have photos on either of ours.

If you think the rental car savings is good, wait until next October/November and check out their Holiday car sales promotion with General Motors. GM supplier pricing, plus any other applicable discounts/rebates and then a few weeks later you get a Costco Cash Card for $300 (regular membership) or $700 (Executive membership). Just got my $700 card a couple of weeks ago!

Even though we don’t live anywhere near a Costco we just got a membership as part of refinancing our home. We have our member number so I checked alamo and got a $180 savings on our rental for this month’s trip! My question is this: the member number comes up as my husband’s name only although he could put me as the renter (he won’t be with us). Is that going to be a problem? Can I print out the member number as proof of membership if they ask? Our Sam’s membership includes both of us-does Costco work that way? He does travel for work and is in a town today that has a Costco. Should he try to get both of us cards?

You don't need a Costco card to pick up the car. Alamo will not ask to see it - they don't care. The name on the Costco card is unimportant here. As long as you have the paperwork from the reservation, you'll be fine. You'll only need the Costco reservation number of you need to change the reservation for some reason, which you'll have to do through Costco.

I do suggest signing up for Alamo's Insider Club. That way you can link the reservation (using the Alamo reservation number, not the Costco reservation number) to your account and do the on line check-in. Then you can skip the counter, go pick up the car and leave.

Steve

I agree with not needing the Costco Card - but the name on the Alamo reservation does need to be the name of the person picking it up. At least it did at SFO two months ago. DH and I both have a Costco Card, but as the Alamo reservation was in my name he could not pick it up without me there. I had to sign for it. They didn't even want to see his driver's license.

I agree with not needing the Costco Card - but the name on the Alamo reservation does need to be the name of the person picking it up. At least it did at SFO two months ago. DH and I both have a Costco Card, but as the Alamo reservation was in my name he could not pick it up without me there. I had to sign for it. They didn't even want to see his driver's license.

Correct. The primary renter (not the additional driver) is always the one who must pick up the vehicle.

Steve

The photo is optional. We don't have photos on either of ours.

If you think the rental car savings is good, wait until next October/November and check out their Holiday car sales promotion with General Motors. GM supplier pricing, plus any other applicable discounts/rebates and then a few weeks later you get a Costco Cash Card for $300 (regular membership) or $700 (Executive membership). Just got my $700 card a couple of weeks ago!

Ditto! I just did this as well. Hello new GMC Terrain!

OP, if you don't mind my asking, how does one get this Alamo Costco discount? I've searched on the Costco car rental site, but the prices that show up there look high to me. I've also searched on the Alamo site, but didn't see a place to select a Costco discount there. I'm a member of both, but somehow I'm not seeing what to do to get the best discount. Thanks in advance.

OP, if you don't mind my asking, how does one get this Alamo Costco discount? I've searched on the Costco car rental site, but the prices that show up there look high to me. I've also searched on the Alamo site, but didn't see a place to select a Costco discount there. I'm a member of both, but somehow I'm not seeing what to do to get the best discount. Thanks in advance.
This was just through the Costco travel site

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter