Costco, BJs, Sam's Club - Do You Have a Preference (Discussion)

That is my impression of a lot of the items at Costco as well. They trick you into buy a HUGE quantity of something that at the time seemed like a bargain or good idea. If you never use it up and toss it in the trash you haven't really 'saved' anything.
You do need to know what you will use, sometimes it's trial and error figuring it out but Costco isn't the only one to sell big items. Have you seen mayo containers at Walmart? They have huge ones. Retailers all around have larger containers of things, the consumer has shown they like these options.

It's not a trick anymore than anywhere else but I also know you've expressed this opinion before about wholesale places. Just don't shop there seems simple enough.

We stopped buying a gallon of milk regardless of where it comes from because we don't drink it enough before it goes bad. We don't buy a big thing of regular mustard any longer preferring the small container because we like spicy brown mustard instead and get the regular mostly for guests. But Costco has a great option for feminine products (name brand as well) no trick there I assure you ;) They have a good thing for k-cups (name brand) especially when they put it on sale. It's much cheaper than I get at the store for the name brand. I get the 72 count and know I will use it. But I don't get the 100 count of the same variety because I would get bored. But for a business or for a household where multiple people dink coffee it's a great deal. Speaking of coffee it's a fantastic deal for 2 lbs of coffee, we get the whole bean and use it on the weekends and it's extremely economical and for name brand, a local brand also does a special blend just for Costco.

And so on. But again you don't like it these types of places and you don't have a membership for these places so these types of threads don't really resonate with you

We've been Costco members for nearly 20 years. Most of those years we'd just go once in a while but within the last year or two, we go much more often (once a month). We recently joined Sam's Club because of a promotion at the time for $15 to join. Our Sam's Club is very small compared to Costco but I have found some things I like there. All in all, I prefer Costco over Sam's Club.

I don't have BJs where I live but I went there back when I lived in NJ. Thought it was fine but I prefer Costco. Stores are clean and well stocked. While checkout lines are often long (I've seen then go all the way back to the meat section), they move fast and are very efficient.

I don't buy produce there as I find it's lower quality than at other stores. I don't know if that's just in my area or if that's an issue with Costco overall. I also find that their self checkout is awful and I'm a huge fan of self checkout everywhere else.

I also find that their self checkout is awful
I love their self-checkout but think the single biggest issue is that they don't have a handheld scanner at least the ones here. Back when they had self-checkout years ago before they removed them at our locations they were a long conveyor belt with a detachable scanner and it was great. Often the attendants would still help out but it was better than the design they have now. I wish they would go back to the old design, they don't have to do the long conveyor belt (because it takes up space) but at least do the detachable scanner like Home Depot for instance. I'm not sure why they didn't bring that aspect when they re-added self-checkout as it makes sense to have one at a store like Costco.

I love their self-checkout but think the single biggest issue is that they don't have a handheld scanner at least the ones here. Back when they had self-checkout years ago before they removed them at our locations they were a long conveyor belt with a detachable scanner and it was great. Often the attendants would still help out but it was better than the design they have now. I wish they would go back to the old design, they don't have to do the long conveyor belt (because it takes up space) but at least do the detachable scanner like Home Depot for instance. I'm not sure why they didn't bring that aspect when they re-added self-checkout as it makes sense to have one at a store like Costco.
Yeah I agree with this. Fortunately, our Costco self-checkout area always has at least 2 people working with you and they are good about coming over and hand scanning my massive watermelon or whatever large thing I have. But they shouldn't have to.

I just got back from Costco and I didn't see any handheld scanners at the self checkout. I just find it to be faster to do the regular checkout. The cashiers scan your stuff so fast it makes your head spin. At every other store I go to, self checkout all the way.

I just got back from Costco and I didn't see any handheld scanners at the self checkout. I just find it to be faster to do the regular checkout. The cashiers scan your stuff so fast it makes your head spin. At every other store I go to, self checkout all the way.
They are quite efficient in the regular checkout that is true. Normally we only have a handful of items so self-checkout is perfect for us when the other checkouts have a lot of people in them. It typically goes by quickly enough but I just wish they would have the handheld detachable scanner for things like bottled water or toilet paper or paper towels. Even if they had it corded with a generous length just something so the self checkout attendant didn't have to come by to scan those items for us.

I’ve been a Costco member for 31 years. Sam‘s Club opened near us about 15 years ago and I had a membership at both for a couple years. There were some things that I liked at Sam’s, but found the produce at Costco MUCH better. No comparison, really. That was the primary reason I dropped Sam’s and kept my Costco membership. Where I live, options for good produce seem limited, and I buy almost 100% of my fresh fruit and vegetables at Costco. (We don’t have a BJ’s anywhere near us.)

I used to go to Costco but I didn't like their limited brand names, but a great snack food area and no outside coupons. BJ's I presently go to but mostly for gas for my car. Paid $2.66 gal. two days ago and they take outside coupons and have a wider variety of brands. (downside... no food court area. Sam's club I have never been to one, so I can't compare that to any other.

First off, let me say I've never set foot in a Sam's Club. We have one nearby and maybe I will.

About 20 years ago, the only game in town was BJs. I was a member and I was happy enough. Costco moved in and I joined there. For a year or two, I had dual membership but let the BJs one go because Costco was beating them out in every way.

Yesterday, I rejoined BJs because they were offering a discounted membership for the year. BJs is closer to me by about 3 miles and the gas prices seem to be the same between BJs and Costco, so I thought I'd join just for that reason alone. Made my first trip back into the store yesterday and, well, all I can say is "What a letdown." I bought a jar of Pepperoncini peppers that looked good but, literally, found nothing there that called my name. Maybe it's just my store?

So for those of you who have the option to try them all out? What do you think? And is Sam's worth checking out and maybe better than BJs. They also seem to offer discounted memberships.
I have had all 3 memberships and I prefer BJs, then Sam’s and then Costco. Costco is farthest for me. BJs has much better hours (opens 2 hours earlier) and it has lots of brands that I use. Costco rarely carried the items that I used.

We don't have a BJs near us here in middle TN. THey only just opened one about an hour away, but Costco and Sams are very close, maybe 15 mins. Costco here is crazy busy all the time, no matter what day, or what time of day. I never go to either though, my husband does all the shopping.
He prefers Costco, and goes at least once a week. He'll go to Sams maybe once/month, sometimes more if something is on sale.
Overall, we choose Costco

Last edited:
We have had all three and Costco seems to be the best for us. However, we have moved and there is no Costco near us. BJ’s is about 45 minutes from us, tried a membership but found it just not convenient. Our neighbors routinely make the drive but we have not, so won’t renew there. Sams is the closest to us and while not as good, for us, it is convenient. There is enough at Sams to renew our membership and love the scan and go.

For us, it would be Costco on top, BJs, then Sams.

Where we live there are no BJs. Our Costco and Sams are very close to each other with a Super Target in the middle. We have both cards. My MIL doesn't have insurance and diabetes test strips and machines are way cheaper at Sams than anywhere else around here. I also prefer the Horizon organic milk at Sams to the Kirkland organic milk at Costco. There are a few other things I can get at Sams that I can't get at Costco but I usually go to Costco because it's slightly more convenient. I've gotten some great deals on rental cars on the Costco website. I've bought clothes and home stuff at both places.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter