Costco - vision exam

mrsstats

<font color=blue>Sure sister's cat is as big as a
Anyone use them for vision exam and glasses? Since DH retired we are no longer under a plan and looking to reduce cost. Thank you.

It really depends on the location and the particular optometrist. There's certainly nothing wrong with their glasses. They hire licensed opticians and everything is really done at outside optical labs.

I'm sure it depends on the specific location and doctor. I have been very happy with my exam and subsequent glasses. In fact I tried another place closer to my work since then and paid an exponentially larger amount for glass. Had the lenses remade twice and finally gave up and went back to my inexpensive Costco glasses. I will be going to back to Costco this year!

I have never had an exam at Costco, but I did purchase some glasses there, and they were about 1/3 of the price that I usually pay, and they were really good quality. I was actually thinking the other day of reusing the frames, and having my new prescription put in, because they are my favorite frames of all the ones I have had in the past decade or so.

I can't comment on the vision exam but I have gotten mine and my son's glasses from Costco. Prices are so much cheaper compared to the optometrist office especially if you can use a coupon. Their base lenses are all anti-reflective and anti scratch which is an up charge at the doctors office. They have really nice frames for a very reasonable price.

I've used them many times over the years.. and across the country in my new locale. The optical dept has a licensed optometrist (that is a separate vendor). It has always been a thorough examination and I've purchased my glasses, sunglasses and contacts thru them. The best price around. Never had an issue.

Got my exam at a doc's office but got the glasses at Costco, it was about $200-$300 cheaper at Costco.

I get my exam at a local eye doctor, but take the script to Costco. I got prescription eye glasses PLUS prescriptions sunglasses (both progressive lenses) for way less than the price I USED to pay at "another" famous place (which allegedly gave me the "insurance" price) for just the one pair. What a joke. The exam at the local doctor was actually cheaper than at Costco, which in my locale charges $89. Costco's frames/lenses are first rate. I have no issue with them whatsoever, and a huge savings.

Last edited:
If you have a membership through AARP, they sometimes have discounts that work through national chains for eye exams.

I don't know if it works the same way in all states, but at least around here most optometrists "attached" to an optical shop are independent contractors who legally work for themselves. So it's really a different kind of relationship than maybe Costco, Sears, etc employing the optometrist.

My preference is an optometrist working at an optical shop where she's been for years. I used to go to another optical shop near the optical shop where she worked out of. I asked the owner who he recommended, and it was her even though she worked in the location of a competitor. That's kind of hard to find these days. Still - some eye docs refuse to do things like release contact lens prescriptions except to their affiliated optical shop.

We always get our glasses at Costco but go to an optometrist elsewhere for our exam. They have glasses there but thry are a lot more expensive. I have alway been happy with my glasses from Costco.

At our Costco, the optometrist is an independent contractor who works in the store. I pay her separately from Costco. My wife and I have purchased our last number of glasses there. The markup is substantially less than anywhere else and their selection is great. We can still submit the bills to our insurance company and get refunded based on our coverage. They simply sign the forms for us.

I've considered Costco and have used them in the past for glasses and contacts. We just go to Vision Works these days. The eye exam is reasonable as are the glasses, and with insurance we don't pay too much out of pocket. I do think that without insurance I would shop around more. I know that America's Best frequently runs deals on glasses, but I don't know what the quality is. I know that regardless of where we go I look at prices so that I can get a feel for what I'd be paying out of pocket and compare with other retailers.

Yes! I go to the Costco eye doc for contacts and glasses. Love their selection and pricing. Unbeatable.

I don't pay for eye insurance through work because it's cheaper through Costco! Never been unhappy there.

I'm type 2 diabetic so my doctor wants me to see an ophthalmologist for my exams, and I just got new lenses this time (in May) and skipped the frames since mine were still fine and it still cost me a total of $606. I do pay extra for the tinting and lineless bifocals, but still think it's pretty ridiculous how much it costs. We do not have vision insurance (not when we pay over $1100/month for health insurance)

I was thinking about taking the prescription somewhere else, like Walmart. But DH had his eyes examined there and got new glasses (also lineless bifocals and tinting) and still paid just over $500.

I'll still go yearly for my regular exam, to take care of my eyes, but I won't be getting new glasses/lenses until I absolutely HAVE to.

T
I'm type 2 diabetic so my doctor wants me to see an ophthalmologist for my exams, and I just got new lenses this time (in May) and skipped the frames since mine were still fine and it still cost me a total of $606. I do pay extra for the tinting and lineless bifocals, but still think it's pretty ridiculous how much it costs. We do not have vision insurance (not when we pay over $1100/month for health insurance)

I was thinking about taking the prescription somewhere else, like Walmart. But DH had his eyes examined there and got new glasses (also lineless bifocals and tinting) and still paid just over $500.

I'll still go yearly for my regular exam, to take care of my eyes, but I won't be getting new glasses/lenses until I absolutely HAVE to.

Take your prescription to Costco and ask them what it costs for new lenses AND frames. I get lineless progressive lenses, and frames and the total is right around $200. Tinting is only a couple bucks more. I've been very, very satisfied with the quality.

T

Take your prescription to Costco and ask them what it costs for new lenses AND frames. I get lineless progressive lenses, and frames and the total is right around $200. Tinting is only a couple bucks more. I've been very, very satisfied with the quality.

Thank you. I hate "shopping around" for things like new glasses, but just may have to. :(

Do you have to be a Costco member to buy frames & lenses there?

Yes, I think so. But, you could call and find out. For me, the amount it costs me is SO much less than even the "insurance" price other places that the glasses savings alone are worth the annual fee. But, I also save on tires (4 vehicles....one of them needs new tires every year), etc.

Do you have to be a Costco member to buy frames & lenses there?
Yes you need to be a member. No worries though, as you will easily recoup the membership price with the savings you'll find. Costco is the best!

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter