Could Disney Take Guests' Temperatures? Bob Iger Talks Future of Parks

I know!! I keep cringing as I think of them saying, "step in closer" once everyone is already on top of each other.

The only ways I can think of for Disney to cut down the risk is to space out the line queues so people are not standing so close, or use virtual lines. They could also space out people in the theaters to every other seat or allowing a few seats in between families instead of filling in every seat. They could also not fill the boats to capacity for things like pirates and small world, maybe filling every other row. It would mean longer wait times though. They could also have staff wiping down railings and things like the guns on buzz after each person gets off the ride. As far as walking around the park, that gets tricky as sometimes is shoulder to shoulder.
Firework shows would be off the table for a long time.

How about interactive queues like the mine train? Those are going to have to be removed. The whole standing in line is going to have to change too. I expect more virtual queues in the future.

How about interactive queues like the mine train? Those are going to have to be removed. The whole standing in line is going to have to change too. I expect more virtual queues in the future.

Yes! I also mentioned the Winnie the Pooh wall :faint: :sick:

There's not going to be anything Disney can do to satisfy everyone.

Imagine everything there that you will touch that someone else has touched. Impossible to protect yourself from everything.

They will open, if it's soft-openings it will most likely be due to staffing and monetary issues more than anything. Then they will open completely and people will either feel comfortable going or they won't.

My prediction is that when Disney is up and running, people will go, vaccine or not.

They would have to wipe down every ride vehicle, every cycle. People screaming and telling would put droplets all over the place. So Omnimovers are closed. Roller coasters are really really slow loading. Well everything.

I think when they reopen, they make a show of cleaning things, but theres no way they can do enough cleaning to fully stop it.

I cannot imagine stepping into the stretching room at haunted mansion before a vaccine or very successful treatment is available. And there are time when just walking around the park is more crowded than that room.

Disney has no way of mitigating these risks short of running the park at 10% of its normal occupancy. Too many people are infectious and completely asymptomatic for them to be able to screen carriers. If Disney opens the parks before it is safe, they will likely get sued and lose if an elderly person goes, gets this while there, and dies.

No they won't. Prove the elderly person didn't get corona at the airport or the gas station on the way to the park. You can't. The incubation on this makes it nearly impossible to prove where someone got it. And safe is a relative term and not a legal definition. If the state says they can open, they can open. Status of the virus is irrelevant at that point.

No they won't. Prove the elderly person didn't get corona at the airport or the gas station on the way to the park. You can't. The incubation on this makes it nearly impossible to prove where someone got it. And safe is a relative term and not a legal definition. If the state says they can open, they can open. Status of the virus is irrelevant at that point.
Yes, they could - all they have to do is track it back to someone there. Someone would try and I would give them the money if I was on the jury.

Yes, they could - all they have to do is track it back to someone there. Someone would try and I would give them the money if I was on the jury.

Yes. You would. Fortunately Juries tend to have something like 12 people on there and most understand that you have to have a preponderance of evidence and not just crackpot conspiracy theories and bitterness. Unless the whole family had been in a bubble for over 2 weeks, and unzipped the bubble on Disney grounds, they can't prove they got it there. Disney would bury the ambulance chaser that took that case in every scrap of paper that exists on covid and its ease of transmission and force them to prove they didn't get it from somewhere else. It would never see a jury.

Yes. You would. Fortunately Juries tend to have something like 12 people on there and most understand that you have to have a preponderance of evidence and not just crackpot conspiracy theories and bitterness. Unless the whole family had been in a bubble for over 2 weeks, and unzipped the bubble on Disney grounds, they can't prove they got it there. Disney would bury the ambulance chaser that took that case in every scrap of paper that exists on covid and its ease of transmission and force them to prove they didn't get it from somewhere else. It would never see a jury.
Who sounds bitter? 🤷‍♂️

I really just think once they open, it will be a "come in at your own risk" type situation. They simply cannot fully mitigate all the risks here. It's not feasible. People will have to decide how comfortable they are with going.

We may see some operational changes, but the whole idea of social distancing won't transfer over to the theme park experience. It just can't realistically.

Sure, they can control large crowds to some extent, but all that goes out the window once you touch the same handrail or sit in the same ride vehicle as someone else. The point of social distancing is to avoid contact, but you literally cannot avoid contact with every surface someone else may have touched before you, and that is where personal hygiene comes into play.

People will just take Tylenol or Advil an hour before they go in. “I’m paying Disney too much for them to tell me I can’t go in because I might expose others to Covid-19, Influenza, or any other illness that causes fevers!”

People will just take Tylenol or Advil an hour before they go in. “I’m paying Disney too much for them to tell me I can’t go in because I might expose others to Covid-19, Influenza, or parany other illness that causes fevers!”

That trick is not new parents have been doing that trick forever regradles if it was for daycare or school

If that was a possibility, I think we'd already have seen lawsuits over DL and WDW-linked measles outbreaks or other communicable diseases. The general legal presumption in our country is "at your own risk" when it comes to public places and contagious disease. Unless there's a specific failing that causes the disease (ie, foodbourne illness that can be tied to violations of safe-handling practices or maintenance deficiencies leading to a Legionnaire's outbreak), public places aren't liable for illness transmitted between customers. I don't see that changing because of this or we'd have no more theme parks, concerts, malls, gyms, etc.

I'm thinking an infrared camera that is adjusted for body temp used to flag people with above average temp is possible. Then you don't have to stop everyone. Granted with the current virus, that's irrelevant, but it's a thought if temperature taking is going to happen.

Use the old thermal scanners from Test Track. Just kidding....

If they want people to come at their own risk, they’re gonna have to break out liability waivers. I for one ain’t signing a liability waiver.

Sunburn (in Florida? Never!)
Rheumatoid arthritis
Malignant tumors
Some medications
Vaccinations
Teething
Let me add Jetlag and overtired. We fly in from Germany and when I am jet lagged/ overtired my temp seems to go up. Wierd. But when I am sick I rarely have a temp.

If that was a possibility, I think we'd already have seen lawsuits over DL and WDW-linked measles outbreaks or other communicable diseases. The general legal presumption in our country is "at your own risk" when it comes to public places and contagious disease. Unless there's a specific failing that causes the disease (ie, foodbourne illness that can be tied to violations of safe-handling practices or maintenance deficiencies leading to a Legionnaire's outbreak), public places aren't liable for illness transmitted between customers. I don't see that changing because of this or we'd have no more theme parks, concerts, malls, gyms, etc.
I understand use at your own risk. But I believe covid-19 is entirely different that seasonal flu or measles. While we wait for effective treatment and/or vaccine....

Vacationers that show up to enjoy a day at theme parks have made a choice they are personally comfortable with.

I hope all the theme parks have some sort of plan for numbers of cast members as they become ill. They will not be able to "social distance."

I wonder if nearby local hospitals will have input in park opening decisions.

Last edited:

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter