Covid travel UK-US ... or not

Status
Not open for further replies.

Plague

DIS Veteran
There are a couple of threads which have covered this so far, but both have August 2021 in their titles.
Since recent (at 27 July 2021) announcements by the US have effectively killed hopes of direct travel* any time soon, and indeed don't even indicate any plans for opening up, I thought it might be good to start a new thread to cover beyond Aug 2021 - 'cos this show looks likely to run a while yet.

The current situation as reported by Reuters on 26 July 2021 is:
Exclusive-U.S. will not lift travel restrictions, citing Delta variant -official

There is relevant info in the last page or two of the thread August 2021 - will I be going ? if you have not been following that in late July 2021.

( * You can get there if you spend 14 days in a country not on their denied list. But like our UK traffic lights that could get derailed at no notice.)

There are a couple of threads which have covered this so far, but both have August 2021 in their titles.
Since recent (at 27 July 2021) announcements by the US have effectively killed hopes of direct travel* any time soon, and indeed don't even indicate any plans for opening up, I thought it might be good to start a new thread to cover beyond Aug 2021 - 'cos this show looks likely to run a while yet.

The current situation as reported by Reuters on 26 July 2021 is:
Exclusive-U.S. will not lift travel restrictions, citing Delta variant -official

There is relevant info in the last page or two of the thread August 2021 - will I be going ? if you have not been following that in late July 2021.

( * You can get there if you spend 14 days in a country not on their denied list. But like our UK traffic lights that could get derailed at no notice.)

As I wrote in that other thread, I’m now worried about our trip in July 2022 that I’m about to reserve (DVC).
It’s absolutely insane that I am, but the US isn’t acting reasonably regarding covid so there’s just no way to predict how they’ll behave going forward.
I suppose the best we can do is plan our trips and hope for the best.

I was talking to one of my friends last night about this. People are so focused on Europeans going to America for holidays, that no one is talking about all the Europeans in America who cant come home. My friend in California is an Irish citizen living and working in California on a work visa. The last time she was home in Ireland was April 2019. Her mother is elderly with health issues. She has no idea when she can come to Ireland.

I'm trying not to write off 2021 just yet. I'm hoping that maybe October. The first thing that needs to happen though is the international recognition of each countries vaccine proof. The EU Digital Cert is a start but there is probably a lot of diplomatic negations going on right now.

I was talking to one of my friends last night about this. People are so focused on Europeans going to America for holidays, that no one is talking about all the Europeans in America who cant come home. My friend in California is an Irish citizen living and working in California on a work visa. The last time she was home in Ireland was April 2019. Her mother is elderly with health issues. She has no idea when she can come to Ireland.

I'm trying not to write off 2021 just yet. I'm hoping that maybe October. The first thing that needs to happen though is the international recognition of each countries vaccine proof. The EU Digital Cert is a start but there is probably a lot of diplomatic negations going on right now.

Yeah we've got a friend working in New York. His company said he couldn't travel at all since early 2020 (last time he was home was Christmas 2019) and since then he's had his first grandchild born over here and hasn't been able to get back to see her. Its so sad! Let's just hope that things do clear up this year.

Must admit didn't think we would be in this situation we are due to go in October but at present very much doubt that. So its on to rearranging for a 4th time and 5th attempt at going, but looking at the prices for next year compared to what ive paid that's looking very unlikeley. Still hoping for October but now feeling very down about it. What will be will be

I am still holding out hope for December and March. Things can change quickly. I also have reservations for October, although I am less optimistic about that trip. A lot of over 18 year olds ( in Wales at least) are having their second vaccinations, so I am hopeful that we will see another drop in infection rates soon.

I was talking to one of my friends last night about this. People are so focused on Europeans going to America for holidays, that no one is talking about all the Europeans in America who cant come home.

I read today that the UK government are due to be discussing allowing fully vaccinated EU and US citizens into the UK without having to quarantine - essentially the same rules as fully vaccinated UK citizens returning from green or amber countries. So it is definitely being talked about.

With regards to travel to the US, we're booked to go mid-September. I was feeling hopeful about it until the latest talk of US bringing back masks which makes me think they won't even be thinking about travel corridors at the minute. I've got free cancellation on everything apart from the park tickets (which I believe can be extended if needed) so I'll just be holding off until the end with my fingers crossed.

As many of you know, we are meant to be flying out on the 30 August, but clearly that isn't going to happen! Frustratingly, Virgin are still holding on to our money, I just wish they'd get on with cancelling it, so I can refund park tickets and other stuff etc, it's pretty annoying that they are still seemingly claiming that those flights will go ahead.

We have a 'backup' trip booked for December (DVC members so doesn't involve much of a financial outlay to have a 'backup' trip), but as things stand I can see that being cancelled too. I feel as if there MIGHT be a sweet spot around October/November this year when you can travel, but if/when the virus creates another wave over the Winter I can see EU/UK travel to the US being shut down again until Spring '22.

It seems something changed at the last minute with regards to the U.S. decision. It seems rather odd for Biden to hint at an announcement in the coming days, only to announce that nothing is changing. I think it goes to show that things could change rather quickly. Honestly, I did have high hopes for October, as I thought this was the sweet spot just before winter cases start building the figures, but hopefully after things have calmed down from the latest wave (both here and in the U.S.).

Up until now, I had been excitedly counting down the days to my October trip, but the shine and excitement have definitely now evaporated. I had been dutifully regularly checking the park reservation calendar to leave ticket purchasing until the last possible moment before it looked like reservations would start filling up. What will be interesting is that, my DVC accommodation was booked before my travel insurance changed their terms and conditions to exclude COVID, so my DVC accommodation is actually covered. My policy does make a provision for timeshares and reimbursing the "cash equivalent", so it could be quite interesting to see how they work that out should I lose my points (which are not insignificant at a 21 night stay at the Poly!).

Edit: Also thanks to Plague for creating a space for us to moan, vent and share glimmers of hope and despair at the current situation :D

As many of you know, we are meant to be flying out on the 30 August, but clearly that isn't going to happen! Frustratingly, Virgin are still holding on to our money, I just wish they'd get on with cancelling it, so I can refund park tickets and other stuff etc, it's pretty annoying that they are still seemingly claiming that those flights will go ahead.

The slight spanner in the works is that the flight may well still go ahead. There are flights every day to the U.S. because of various exemptions. Additionally, with the UK looking to relax their rules on U.S. travels as soon as next week, you can bet BA and Virgin will be heavily marketing to American consumers to keep as many flights running as possible.

It seems something changed at the last minute with regards to the U.S. decision. It seems rather odd for Biden to hint at an announcement in the coming days, only to announce that nothing is changing. I think it goes to show that things could change rather quickly. Honestly, I did have high hopes for October, as I thought this was the sweet spot just before winter cases start building the figures, but hopefully after things have calmed down from the latest wave (both here and in the U.S.).

Up until now, I had been excitedly counting down the days to my October trip, but the shine and excitement have definitely now evaporated. I had been dutifully regularly checking the park reservation calendar to leave ticket purchasing until the last possible moment before it looked like reservations would start filling up. What will be interesting is that, my DVC accommodation was booked before my travel insurance changed their terms and conditions to exclude COVID, so my DVC accommodation is actually covered. My policy does make a provision for timeshares and reimbursing the "cash equivalent", so it could be quite interesting to see how they work that out should I lose my points (which are not insignificant at a 21 night stay at the Poly!).

Edit: Also thanks to Plague for creating a space for us to moan, vent and share glimmers of hope and despair at the current situation :D

Not wanting to turn this into a DVC thread, but I spoke to member services last week and they basically said that they had put systems in place for international travellers that were at risk of 'losing' points, so maybe it is wishful thinking but I wouldn't be too concerned about that.

I for example have our trip partly booked with 2019 points that have been banked once already, but they assured me that I wouldn't lose those points should I not be able to travel.

Reading this news on Reuters moved me almost to tears on monday. I have planned a visit from 10/29 - 11/20 (flight is booked, hotels I looked out daily for availabilty for another deluxe besides AKL - want a split stay), but don't think it will happen. I also don't have any hope for 2022. This statement reads so final, no plans for opening soon, no metrics which would trigger a possible opening, no future plans for fully vaccinated people and so on.

As I wrote in that other thread, I’m now worried about our trip in July 2022 that I’m about to reserve (DVC).
It’s absolutely insane that I am, but the US isn’t acting reasonably regarding covid so there’s just no way to predict how they’ll behave going forward.
I suppose the best we can do is plan our trips and hope for the best.

I've been saying since last year that I'm not sure about our planned August '22 trip. When the vaccines were announced it gave me hope, but that's been diminishing for a while now.

We're coming towards the time when I have a decision to make. In the next 6-8 weeks or so the flights for Aug '22 would normally get released, so I have to decide whether to go ahead and book or not. Our accommodation is provisionally booked and we can hold off on park tickets, but putting off the decision on flights just means that they'll be more expensive if we do decide to book them further down the line.

At the moment I'm still leaning towards booking the flights in the hope that if it doesn't go ahead I'll get refunded, but I'm just not able to muster any enthusiasm for the trip.

just means that they'll be more expensive if we do decide to book them further down the line.
That's something of a gamble. If you are prepared to shop around and maybe take an indirect flight you can control the price a bit or a lot when booking later.

I wouldn't book a flight at present - I've not booked for my trip this October yet - because the risks of handing that money to a company that is struggling and will almost certainly make refunds difficult and could go bust are too high for my liking.
I will wait until I'm 95% sure the trip is on.

Of course it's just me, so I can flex easily - if you have a family trip it's harder.

I've been saying since last year that I'm not sure about our planned August '22 trip. When the vaccines were announced it gave me hope, but that's been diminishing for a while now.

We're coming towards the time when I have a decision to make. In the next 6-8 weeks or so the flights for Aug '22 would normally get released, so I have to decide whether to go ahead and book or not. Our accommodation is provisionally booked and we can hold off on park tickets, but putting off the decision on flights just means that they'll be more expensive if we do decide to book them further down the line.

At the moment I'm still leaning towards booking the flights in the hope that if it doesn't go ahead I'll get refunded, but I'm just not able to muster any enthusiasm for the trip.

for this very reason we have booked a virgin fly drive for the very first time. That way we have flights and a car booked but if the USA is not open in April we will change the dates. Only thing at risk at the moment is the deposit

I read today that the UK government are due to be discussing allowing fully vaccinated EU and US citizens into the UK without having to quarantine - essentially the same rules as fully vaccinated UK citizens returning from green or amber countries. So it is definitely being talked about.

That does not mean anything for UK people working in America who are on a UK passport. Yes its great that they can come home without having to quarantine, but they wont be able to get back in USA. THATS the whole problem.

Until the US President removes the travel ban anyone who is working in USA but is there with a European passport and work visa can not return to USA if they leave the country.

It is only USA citizens with a USA passport who can travel to Europe and return to USA.

That does not mean anything for UK people working in America who are on a UK passport. Yes its great that they can come home without having to quarantine, but they wont be able to get back in USA. THATS the whole problem.

Until the US President removes the travel ban anyone who is working in USA but is there with a European passport and work visa can not return to USA if they leave the country.

It is only USA citizens with a USA passport who can travel to Europe and return to USA.

Maybe but it does mean US citizens with relatives here can visit them.

Status
Not open for further replies.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter