Crazy idea? Going from DL to Cupertino (Apple)

EeyoreJMH

DIS Veteran
Hi all,

Next month my DH and I are going to DL for his birthday. Since we're in MA and don't make it out west very much, I was wondering if we could also fit in a visit to his second-favorite company place -- Apple in Cupertino. He tells me that they have a store for Apple geeks like him (and me) :goodvibes

Is this a crazy thought? It would be amazing to see both DL and Apple in one trip, but we only have 5 days. Thanks!!

Well, I have never been to the store, but we live about 2 hours north of that and we drive down to DLR is 8 hours, so I'm thinking maybe a 6 hour drive. If you left early in the morning, you could get there by afternoon, visit the store, then stay in a hotel nearby. If you did 3 days at DLR, you could drive up on the 4th day and visit the store, then have an extra day to look around up here. You could also visit the San Jose Tech Musuem on the 5th day. We went there a few years and thought it was pretty neat. Or spend 4 days at DLR, then drive up on the 5th and fly out the next day.

Thanks!! If I may ask, how's the drive? I hear horror stories about CA driving, but figure it can't be worse than driving in MA.:drive:

Well, I have never been to the store, but we live about 2 hours north of that and we drive down to DLR is 8 hours, so I'm thinking maybe a 6 hour drive. If you left early in the morning, you could get there by afternoon, visit the store, then stay in a hotel nearby. If you did 3 days at DLR, you could drive up on the 4th day and visit the store, then have an extra day to look around up here. You could also visit the San Jose Tech Musuem on the 5th day. We went there a few years and thought it was pretty neat. Or spend 4 days at DLR, then drive up on the 5th and fly out the next day.

I don't know the details of the roads in that part of the bay area, but the main road you take to go to NorCal is 5. It is straight through the farms and not hard at all. Some people will pass you and you will pass others. I do think I prefer driving on the freeways up here as opposed to down there, but that has to do with how they do the diamond lanes and exits more than the people. If you have your GPS and a map I don't think you should have any trouble. :)

Thanks!! If I may ask, how's the drive? I hear horror stories about CA driving, but figure it can't be worse than driving in MA.:drive:

The driving here is nothing compared to how it is in NYC. That was crazy! :scared1: I've never seen anything like that in California.

You do have to be more agressive in the city areas (LA area, and the Bay Area). I grew up in a smaller city with only one freeway and if you wanted to change lanes, most people would let you over when you put your blinker on. Down here you can't wait for people to let you over because most of the time they won't. People aren't being rude, that's just how everyone drives around here. You just have to go when there's an opening. It's not bad once you're used to it but if that's not something you're used to it could seem a little scary.

Once you get across the Grapevine you'll be OK. It's 2 lanes and there is a lot of traffic but you'll be fine. I hate driving in LA but I've done it, not happily but I have done it. LOL It is about a 6 hr drive and after the GV 5 is pretty barren and boring but it's the straightest shot you'll get really so it's the fastest. I would definitely say to spend 3 days in DL and then drive up here, stay overnight and leave from here. There is a lot to do up here as well. :)

As PP said, it's about a 6 hour drive. Maybe while you're up there you could visit SF and the Walt Disney Museum in the Presidio, and check out AT&T Park, where the Giants play. It's a very nice (and newish) baseball stadium - saw a game there 3 years ago. They won't have any home games until April, but maybe they'll have tours and/or have the right field pedestrian gate open.

OP if you're interested in sports there are also Oakland teams, there are quite a few so you will probably find something to watch if that's your cup of tea. :)

Wow-- thanks for all the great feedback! I appreciate the driving info and think it will be ok. I kind of like the idea of staying up there for the night and visiting the baseballs stadiums. Hmmm ... you have all given me some good ideas.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter