Crazy Question... Anyone else think Aulani is overrated?

Did you stay in one place and do the same thing every day for a week when you stayed at the Hilton Waikoloa? No. You rented a car and did other things around the island as well. So why would people who stay at Aulani be confined to the resort?

My Aulani stays include the Bishop Museum, hiking Ka'ena Point, hiking Diamond Head, Waimea Valley, touring the Bishop Museum, Shirokiya Japan Village Walk, and riding ATVs through the jungle.

The way you describe things makes it sound like you can rent a car on the Big Island to experience lots of nature and culture, but if you go to Aulani you're forbidden from leaving property.
Your many mentions of the Bishop Museum have me considering adding a visit to our itinerary for our upcoming trip. How long do you typically spend there?
I read the Japan Village Walk is no more. That was such an interesting place and a fun change of pace. We saw Japanese Elvis while there and there were people going CRAZY for him—legitimate groupies. It was great!

Your many mentions of the Bishop Museum have me considering adding a visit to our itinerary for our upcoming trip. How long do you typically spend there?
Usually about four hours. We get there when they open and stay until after lunch in their little cafe. I was hesitant to go with young children but my girls love it there. We try to go early in the trip because there's always some connection they make later in the vacation. We'll be at the luau or some other touristy activity that talks about Hawaiian culture or history at a more superficial level, and they'll say "hey I recognize that from the museum!"

I read the Japan Village Walk is no more. That was such an interesting place and a fun change of pace. We saw Japanese Elvis while there and there were people going CRAZY for him—legitimate groupies. It was great!
I hope that's a temporary COVID thing. It would be a shame to lose it permanently, it was so different and fun.

EDIT: I just read up an all of the legal drama. Doesn't sound like it'll be opening again. Very sad.

Last edited:
Bishop museum is a half a day trip. Afterwards, I recommend you grabbing some authentic hawaiian food at Helena’s in Kalihi while you’re there. I also recommend the Polynesian Cultural Center and Lyon Arboretum in Manoa. Shirokiya is closed indefinitely and has nothing to do with Covid. It’s a legal battle and it will probably never come back. It’s a shame they ever moved to the new location. An alternative is walking through Honolulu’s Chinatown and get some food from Char Hung Sut.

I don’t think it’s overrated but I do get the impression that many look to it as a resort-only vacation. While there’s enough to do there to cover quite a few days, I’d be disappointed if I went there thinking of Aulani in that way. I think it’s a fantastic resort for the relaxation part of my trip. It’s a great place to come back to after a morning of other activities, but there is also plenty to do on the days we don’t leave the resort. Too, I really value the shops and restaurants across the street. I don’t know why, but they somehow really add to my positive feelings about staying at Aulani. They make it feel like a beach community vacation if that makes sense.

Exactly this. Aulani is exactly what it claims to be, but people hear "Disney" and think that it is something that it is not. I have heard people asking about what rides they have, like it is a park. I belong to a couple Aulani planning groups and every single person that comes back and complains, said that they thought it had more then it did. I get that it is expensive, but so are other comparable resorts in the area. The Four Seasons next door is just as expensive, but they don't have anywhere near as nice of a facility as Aulani. You are paying for the location. We love Aulani. I love that it is on that protective cove and how peaceful it is. Our trips have been nothing but amazing. We rent a car and we go out and about and explore but also have days to just sit around the resort. Maybe it is because of our life circumstances, but I can not imagine how amazing someone's life is on a daily basis that they don't see going to Hawaii and staying at Aulani to be anything but a great time. I go there and my stress just melts away.

Did you stay in one place and do the same thing every day for a week when you stayed at the Hilton Waikoloa? No. You rented a car and did other things around the island as well. So why would people who stay at Aulani be confined to the resort?

My Aulani stays include the hiking Ka'ena Point, hiking Diamond Head, Waimea Valley, touring the Bishop Museum, Shirokiya Japan Village Walk, and riding ATVs through the jungle.

The way you describe things makes it sound like you can rent a car on the Big Island to experience lots of nature and culture, but if you go to Aulani you're forbidden from leaving property.

This is what I don't understand. Why is it that so many people think that they should just stay at the hotel? It is not Sandals, all inclusive type of resort. It is a hotel in Hawaii. No one stays at the Marriott and never leaves their hotel. But for some reason, because it is owned by Disney, people think that they can't leave. It is just a hotel, just like the Four Seasons next door. I don't get it.

We just went for our first time last October. We're DVC and I think the assumption that DVC people are unhappy with the resort/experience I think is totally wrong. In my lead up to our trip, all I kept reading was how people spent the $1000 a night and expected more. While we were there, we frequently heard people gripe-- for the price we paid, you'd think XXX would happen. For us? We thought it was a great vacation. If given the choice, I would not ever spend $1000 a night for a room as there's better use for that money (IMHO). The only drawback I saw was you have to pay the hotel taxes, whereas at the other Disney resorts, we never have to pay a dime extra.

We also like Disney's Vero beach for that same reason. It's a nice beach/tropical vacation. I'm very thankful we bought into DVC all those years ago so we can enjoy vacations like this.

I went a long time ago before we were dvc, at that time we liked it but like many things disney agreed it was over priced and over hyped, that said I eventually hope to take daughter there but on our points...for cash there are nicer places to stay and for the pools...there are also better if thats your main objective

We just went for our first time last October. We're DVC and I think the assumption that DVC people are unhappy with the resort/experience I think is totally wrong. In my lead up to our trip, all I kept reading was how people spent the $1000 a night and expected more. While we were there, we frequently heard people gripe-- for the price we paid, you'd think XXX would happen. For us? We thought it was a great vacation. If given the choice, I would not ever spend $1000 a night for a room as there's better use for that money (IMHO). The only drawback I saw was you have to pay the hotel taxes, whereas at the other Disney resorts, we never have to pay a dime extra.

We also like Disney's Vero beach for that same reason. It's a nice beach/tropical vacation. I'm very thankful we bought into DVC all those years ago so we can enjoy vacations like this.
People are full of crap. No hotel room at Aulani is $1,000 a night. If they're talking about multi-room villas, fine, but then they can't compare it to the cost of a normal hotel room.

Last edited:
People are full of crap. No hotel room at Aulani is $1,000 a night. If they're talking about multi-room villas, fine, but then they can't compare it to the cost of a normal hotel room.

LOL. You would be very wrong about that. We had a room booked over spring break this year, but I cancelled it because I couldn't justify the price. It was almost $1100/night after taxes. It was an Island Gardens view. Not even an ocean view.

Go ahead and price out a room for 4/16-4/23. Just a regular hotel room. 2 adults, 2 kids 17 and 16. Go ahead. I'll be here when you come back and correct yourself.

LOL. You would be very wrong about that. We had a room booked over spring break this year, but I cancelled it because I couldn't justify the price. It was almost $1100/night after taxes. It was an Island Gardens view. Not even an ocean view.

Go ahead and price out a room for 4/16-4/23. Just a regular hotel room. 2 adults, 2 kids 17 and 16. Go ahead. I'll be here when you come back and correct yourself.
My god, yes, fine, when you check in literally on Easter, you're going to pay the highest rate of the year. I imagine Christmas would be equally expensive.

48 weeks a year, rooms are not $1,000 at Aulani.

My god, yes, fine, when you check in literally on Easter, you're going to pay the highest rate of the year. I imagine Christmas would be equally expensive.

48 weeks a year, rooms are not $1,000 at Aulani.

Can you just say "I was wrong." Is it really that hard?

There are several times a year that the room rates are that high.

Bishop museum is a half a day trip. Afterwards, I recommend you grabbing some authentic hawaiian food at Helena’s in Kalihi while you’re there. I also recommend the Polynesian Cultural Center and Lyon Arboretum in Manoa. Shirokiya is closed indefinitely and has nothing to do with Covid. It’s a legal battle and it will probably never come back. It’s a shame they ever moved to the new location. An alternative is walking through Honolulu’s Chinatown and get some food from Char Hung Sut.

Did Char Hung Sut opened back up? Last time I was in Oahu in Sept/Oct last year, I drove there to try and get food like I normally do during every visit to Oahu, and the place looked like it permanently shut down to me? :( Was just surprised you mentioned Char Hung Sut, so hoping I am wrong.

Also, I agreed with Lilsia, why do people go to Aulani, and only just stay at the hotel, or any hotel for that matter in Hawaii? I am sure I would end up hating Aulani if that's all I did for my often 2-3 weeks stay in Oahu. There's just so much to do, beauty to see, food to enjoy, etc... to be just doing a resort only vacation!!!

Great3

Last edited:
Did Char Hung Sut opened back up? Last time I was in Oahu in Sept/Oct last year, I drove there to try and get food like I normally do during every visit to Oahu, and the place looked like it permanently shut down to me? :( Was just surprised you mentioned Char Hung Sut, so hoping I am wrong.

Also, I agreed with Lilsia, why do people go to Aulani, and only just stay at the hotel, or any hotel for that matter in Hawaii? I am sure I would end up hating Aulani if that's all I did for my often 2-3 weeks stay in Oahu. There's just so much to do, beauty to see, food to enjoy, etc... to be just doing a resort only vacation!!!

Great3
You’re right. Char Hung Sut is closed permanently. Another tragic victim of the pandemic. Try Chun Wah Kam in Ward or Honolulu Kitchen in Waipahu. Both are really good too.

You’re right. Char Hung Sut is closed permanently. Another tragic victim of the pandemic. Try Chun Wah Kam in Ward or Honolulu Kitchen in Waipahu. Both are really good too.

Thanks for the suggestion! Sorry OP for going off topic...

Great

Yes I think it's overrated. We went to Hawaii Jan 18-Feb 2 2020, just before everything shutdown. We visited 3 islands and 3 resorts. Grand Wailea on Maui, Four Seasons on Lana'i, and finished with Aulani. The whole trip was great, but Aulani was not in the running for favorite stop. Part of that is because of the island it is on. We much prefer any other island.

We stayed with our points at Aulani, so price wasn't an issue. We paid cash for the others and I left both those resorts feeling like I had got my monies worth. I will be paying for both again in the future. They were both fabulous in very different ways! I also prefer the actual beach in front of me. The lagoons are awesome if you have small kids, but we don't so I want some waves and clear clear water.

The part that made Aulani good, and was a complete accident, they were filming American Idol and my family thought that was awesome. We were so excited the first time we saw Katy Perry, but then she just became another person because we saw her a lot :) The contestants were great and our daughters hung out with several of them. If it wasn't for American Idol I would have been very annoyed we left either of the previous resorts for Aulani. Have no plans to go back to Oahu.

Yes I think it's overrated. We went to Hawaii Jan 18-Feb 2 2020, just before everything shutdown. We visited 3 islands and 3 resorts. Grand Wailea on Maui, Four Seasons on Lana'i, and finished with Aulani. The whole trip was great, but Aulani was not in the running for favorite stop. Part of that is because of the island it is on. We much prefer any other island.

We stayed with our points at Aulani, so price wasn't an issue. We paid cash for the others and I left both those resorts feeling like I had got my monies worth. I will be paying for both again in the future. They were both fabulous in very different ways! I also prefer the actual beach in front of me. The lagoons are awesome if you have small kids, but we don't so I want some waves and clear clear water.

The part that made Aulani good, and was a complete accident, they were filming American Idol and my family thought that was awesome. We were so excited the first time we saw Katy Perry, but then she just became another person because we saw her a lot :) The contestants were great and our daughters hung out with several of them. If it wasn't for American Idol I would have been very annoyed we left either of the previous resorts for Aulani. Have no plans to go back to Oahu.
Can I ask what activities you did on Oahu?

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter