Critique My Plan- Advice Needed

Abharmagic

DIS Veteran
Hello- Arriving on Sunday July 1 around noon. Staying at DLH. Plan is to have down time at the pool, eat, shower and go into DLP between 6 and 7 PM. Park closing is listed at 12 AM. We would like to ride Space Mtn, Matterhorn, Indiana Jones, and Thunder Mtn. And just wander around and take in the atmosphere/get our bearings have a snack, possibly walk through the castle. Think we can fit all 4 rides in without spending the whole 5 to 6 hours in one line or another?

Qouole questions, are you buying maxpass? Would you be able to at least enter the park at noon? If the answer to both is yes, then I would enter the gates with your party and load Maxpass. Then you can go back to the hotel and watch for fastpass times for space mtn that correlate to your plans. Space may run out of fast passes before 6-7pm, which is why I’d suggest entering briefly at noon so you can load Maxpass! Have a blast!!

Qouole questions, are you buying maxpass? Would you be able to at least enter the park at noon? If the answer to both is yes, then I would enter the gates with your party and load Maxpass. Then you can go back to the hotel and watch for fastpass times for space mtn that correlate to your plans. Space may run out of fast passes before 6-7pm, which is why I’d suggest entering briefly at noon so you can load Maxpass! Have a blast!!

I was planning on it for our next two days but was hoping to wing it that first night since we will be getting in late and I was trying to save an expense. Looks like maybe I should suck it up and spend the $40. We will be able to go to the gate around 1-2 PM and add MaxPass.

Hello- Arriving on Sunday July 1 around noon. Staying at DLH. Plan is to have down time at the pool, eat, shower and go into DLP between 6 and 7 PM. Park closing is listed at 12 AM. We would like to ride Space Mtn, Matterhorn, Indiana Jones, and Thunder Mtn. And just wander around and take in the atmosphere/get our bearings have a snack, possibly walk through the castle. Think we can fit all 4 rides in without spending the whole 5 to 6 hours in one line or another?
You can probably FP Big Thunder and Matterhorn, but chances are good Indy and Space will not have FP left that late. Space usually has a longer wait especially since the Indy queue meets with its FP queue pretty early. I would try to FP Matterhorn then wait for Indy riding Matterhorn afterwards with FP. Then I would FP Thunder and hang out until your FP window, or maybe ride while waiting and get 2 rides on Thunder. I would save Space for last. I've heard they inflate return time on Space late at night to discourage riders and that the line moves quickly near closing.

ETA: you could probably grab your FP for Thunder before riding Matterhorn depending on return times.

You can probably FP Big Thunder and Matterhorn, but chances are good Indy and Space will not have FP left that late. Space usually has a longer wait especially since the Indy queue meets with its FP queue pretty early. I would try to FP Matterhorn then wait for Indy riding Matterhorn afterwards with FP. Then I would FP Thunder and hang out until your FP window, or maybe ride while waiting and get 2 rides on Thunder. I would save Space for last. I've heard they inflate return time on Space late at night to discourage riders and that the line moves quickly near closing.

ETA: you could probably grab your FP for Thunder before riding Matterhorn depending on return times.

I’m a seasoned WDW visitor and am aware of the benefits of waiting until late to ride popular attractions- have been known to get in line for Seven Dwarfs Mine Train just before the Park closes. I do love that the old “traditional” FP system is still in place at DL.

So, you’d suggest Space Mtn last? My kids have never been on Matterhorn or Indy so those would be their “must do” attractions for the night. Their 2 fave MK rides are Thunder Mtn and Space Mtn so I figured hitting those up too would be fun.

Last edited:
I’m a seasoned WDW visitor and am aware of the benefits of waiting until late to ride popular attractions- have been known to get in line for Seven Dwarves Mine Train just before the Park closes. I do love that the old “traditional” FP system is still in place at DL.

So, you’d suggest Space Mtn last? My kids have never been on Matterhorn or Indy so those would be their “must do” attractions for the night. Their 2 fave MK rides are Thunder Mtn and Space Mtn so I figured hitting those up too would be fun.
Space is a different experience at DL. But you can ride it another day with FP too, so another reason to leave it for last. I say focus on the 2 new rides then and do whatever else works. Keep in mind Matterhorn is old and jarring. Thunder is very smooth now with the track replacement a few years back and the explosive ending is fun. It's fun how a lot of the same rides are different between DL and WDW.

You should be able to make Space Mountain it you ride as single rider(s). I suspect by that time of day, all of the Fast Passes will be long gone.

I agree with the previous poster who suggested going through the park gates and loading MP once you arrive and then going back to chill and relax. Then you can actually have fast passes booked for when you return in the evening because chances are good some of those rides will run out of fast passes before you get there. We have been there around closing in early March on weekends and the lines for those rides can still be long even at that time. It wont' cost any more to go through the gates earlier than later. I get the whole wanting to chill once you arrive but being able to book MaxPasses when you are at your hotel is a huge benefit!

I think you'll be able to ride everything you want to that evening, but the real question is how much time you want to spend waiting in line. With your current (non-maxpass) plan, I don't expect you'll be able to get FP for Indy or Space, and both tend to have long standby lines (and the Space standby queue is so boring). Purchasing MP for that day and entering the parks briefly when you arrive would likely grant you the ability to snag FP for one or both of those rides, so you can get to bed earlier (if you have an early day planned the next day) and/or have more time for walking around and enjoying the atmosphere on your first day, or riding a few non-FP rides. Ask yourself if that's worth $40.

You can wait until you get there to make the decision if you want MP for the day, so maybe as you're arriving you can jump on the app and check the FP return times to give you an idea how quickly they're running out, and go from there.

I disagree with many of the posters here. Because you have other days you plan on using maxpass - I don't think it's worth the stress of going to the parks early for Maxpass - you may only be able to get maxpass for 1 or 2 rides depending on when the return times are. Plus while your trying to relax at the pool you'll have to be checking the app to see when you could get a fastpass. I would take your chances and see when you can get fastpasses (not maxpass) when you get to the park but expect them to all be out.

I would pick 2 rides of the 4 you mentioned as your must rides. Of those 2 pick one to get in line right as park is closing. As long as you are in line you still get on. I'd recommend getting in line for Indy right before closing. You may be able to fit all the rides in if the crowds are unusually light.

The other thing to figure into your plans is the nightly entertainment which could hinder your ability to move around the park. During this time it gets really hard to cross the hub so for an hour or so you'll want to stay on one side of the park. Your 2 must do are on opposite sides of the park so that's something to consider too.

I disagree with many of the posters here. Because you have other days you plan on using maxpass - I don't think it's worth the stress of going to the parks early for Maxpass - you may only be able to get maxpass for 1 or 2 rides depending on when the return times are. Plus while your trying to relax at the pool you'll have to be checking the app to see when you could get a fastpass. I would take your chances and see when you can get fastpasses (not maxpass) when you get to the park but expect them to all be out.

Agree.

If your kids are old enough, there is also single rider for Indy and Matterhorn, in additional to Space. Those are great options if the lines or prohibitively long.

Edited: you can also make your decision once you get there. See how you all feel and monitor wait times and fastpass availability on the app.

We have left the parks mid day and returned around 6 or 7 and have had at least 3 fast passes ready to use for the first 90 minutes back in the parks and able to book another once we arrive - it's awesome - we simply love MaxPass for that feature alone as it allows for such a relaxed pace even when the park is busy. I just set a timer on my phone once I book a fastpass to remind me to book the next once the window opens.

Can't offer any suggestions but noticed that you mentioned the park hours for July 1st and I am wondering where you found those? When I try to find park hours for June & later I've been unable to find them on the Disneyland website (https://disneyland.disney.go.com/).

I am using Touringplans and I think they are just currently going on historical data. Given that it’s summer, and a week after Pixar Pier/Incredicoaster opens I’d say Midnight is a safe bet as Park attendance in general will likely be high. But, at this point it’s only speculation as far as hours go.

I am using Touringplans and I think they are just currently going on historical data. Given that it’s summer, and a week after Pixar Pier/Incredicoaster opens I’d say Midnight is a safe bet as Park attendance in general will likely be high. But, at this point it’s only speculation as far as hours go.
I see, thanks!

Our family would never spend the time to stand in a real standby line. NOT a good Disney experience
Even if it was to ride something on the first day like your plan. It would be a disappointing and frustrating way to spend our first magical evening.
In your same scenario I’d try and see what FPs were available upon arrival, and then plan around those.
Find a shorter line at BTMRR or Matterhorn if possible and save the big ticket Space and Indy for when you have FPs or Maxpass on another day.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter