Crock pot crazy

lisajl - Would you please post the hot chicken salad recipe? It sounds good!

I just read through the posts on this thread & didn't see anyone mention this one...

I buy boneless chicken breasts in the 5lb bag when they're cheap. Then I just dump the entire bag into the crock & pour in 1 - 2 cups of water. Don't bother to cut out the cartilage before cooking.) I don't bother with seasoning usually. If I do, I just throw some chicken bouillon into it. I usually cook it on LOW for the whole day & then put the crock right into the refrigerator to get it cool enough to handle. The next day, I pull out the chicken & shred it - either with my hands or two forks. Then I bag it into recipe size & freeze. It makes for really quick dinners later! Also, it's like poaching in that the meat stays very moist.

Beyond the standard roast beef, I also like to make a pork roast with great northern beans. Just stir ketchup, brown sugar & a bit of Worcestershire sauce into the beans & put the roast on top. Cook on HIGH for 6 hours.

I also like to put in a bunch of whole green beans (canned or frozen, defrosted), a couple cans of whole potatoes, 2 cups of water & a ham butt cut into pieces. Cook on High for 6 hours - less if using canned beans. Yum!

Deb

I also have these recipes if you're interested:
Five Flavors Chicken
3-Cheese Chicken & Noodles (I got this from someone on this board, but I forget who - sorry!)

Hi Deb,

I buy the 5 lb bag of boneless, skinless chicken too. I haven't cooked any ahead of time. I need to do that. I do cook my hamburger ahead of time and freeze. Saves a lot of time.

I'll have to try the pork roast with the great northern beans. And I do use green beans and potatoes with my roast, but I haven't tried it with ham. Sounds good!

Thanks for sharing.

Annemarie

3-Cheese Chicken & Noodles

3 cups chopped cooked chicken
1 1/2 cups cottage cheese
1 10 3/4 ounce condensed cream of chicken soup -- undiluted
1 8 ounce pack wide egg noodles -- cooked and drained
1 cup grated monterey jack cheese
1/2 cup chicken broth
1/2 cup diced celery
1/2 cup diced onion
1/2 cup diced green bell pepper
1/2 cup diced red bell pepper
1/2 cup grated parmesan cheese
1 4 ounce can sliced mushrooms -- drained
2 tablespoons butter -- melted
1/2 teaspoon dried thyme leaves

Combine all ingredients in slow cooker. Stir to coat evenly. Cover and cook
on Low 6 to 10 hours or on High 3 to 4 hours.
Makes 6 servings
NOTE: I didn't mark it down, but I'm sure I didn't put the noodles in when I started this one. I'd read on this board that putting them in the last 20 min or so should do it. I was skeptical, but stirred them in about 1/2 to 3/4 hr before we wanted to eat. They were done, but not soggy. Also, I didn't have regular cottage cheese when I wanted to make this, but I DID have some of that stuff with pineapple & cherries. I was quite surprised when it turned out really good! In fact, the kids now prefer it with that instead of the plain. ;)

Five Flavors Chicken - Crock Pot
3 - 4 lb chicken pieces
2 cloves garlic
1/2 c honey
1 1/2 tsp ginger, ground
1/2 c soy sauce
3 Tbl sherry
1/2 c crushed pineapple with juice (opt)
2 Tbl cornstarch
Mix garlic, honey, ginger, soy & sherry. (Can substitute orange or cranberry juice.) Dip chicken into mixture. Place chicken in crock. Mix pineapple with sauce & pour over chicken. Cook on low for 6 hours. Remove chicken. Blend cornstarch into juice; cook to thicken.
NOTE: Do NOT use chicken with bones! The bones start to dissintegrate so that they can't be pulled out. I always use boneless for this recipe. Also, I use cranberry juice instead of the sherry. I serve it with this rice Pilaf recipe.

Rice Pilaf
3 Tbl butter
1 Tbl garlic, minced
3/4 c rice, converted
2/3 c orzo
2 1/2 c chicken broth
1/2 c slivered almonds
Melt butter on low; add garlic, salt, pepper & nuts. After 1 minute, add rice & orzo; stir until well-coated. Add broth, increase heat & bring to boil. Lower heat, cover & cook 25 minutes.
NOTE: This originally called for a whole stick of butter, which was wonderful, but not too good for you. It's still quite tasty this way. Oh, & originally it was all rice, but we like the orzo.

Ok...Here we go again...I messed up and did not send!!!

Hot Chicken Salad

2 1/2 cups diced cooked chicken
1 cup toasted almonds
2 cups diagonally sliced celery
1/2 cup diced green pepper
3 tablespoons lemon juice
1 cup mayonnaise
3 tablespoons grated onion
1 cup cubed process cheese
1 cup crushed potato chips
1/2 cup grated parmesan cheese
Toasted english muffins

Combine all ingredients in crock pot except for half the process cheese, half the potato chips, half the parmesan cheese, and of course the english muffins.
cover and cook on low for 4-6 hours. Just before serving, sprinkle with remaining cheese's and potato chips. Serve on toasted english muffins.

I don't always make this with chips, good with or without.
I prefer it with almonds, but now that I have a child with nut allergies...don't make it with almonds often.

Also...like the muffins, but prefer to have this on croissants.
Enjoy!:smooth:

Also...like the muffins, but prefer to have this on croissants.

Mmmmm....Don't make it this weekend while I'm at Abby's, k? *is Lisajl's DD* :D I can't cook yet, well i can cook but not that well, and will attempt to find anything she makes that is that good and talk her into posting it, eh? ;)

Love ya mom!

Another really easy dish! :D

1 1/2 lb. London Broil
1/2 bag of mini carrots
1 19 oz can Progresso Brown Gravy & Vidalia Onions

Place the mini carrots on the bottom of the crockpot, put the London Broil on top of the carrots. Pour the brown gravy and vidalia onions over it. Set the temp to low. Cook 5-6 hours. It was wonderful!

Annemarie

We love pork and sauerkraut in the crockpot, then I serve leftovers with bbq sauce for sandwiches.

Thanks for all the great ideas. Dinner is going to be easy for the next few weeks. Keep them coming. I have not been using my Crock Pot much, but since beginning to homeschool my children, I am in need of quick and easy meals.

Tammy

I am making a sweet potato custard im my crockpot right now. I've never tried this recipe before, so I'll post it if it turns out good!

I put a big roast in my crockpot last nite and let it cook on low all nite. After it cooled a little this morning I shredded it and made bbq sauce. Now it's back in the crockpot for bbq sandwiches. I have been using mine almost every day. It hardly gets put back into the cabinet anymore. I say keep those slow cooker recipes coming!

Candi

<font color=navy>I'm so glad to find this thread!!! I made a roast yesterday... or let's say, I tried to make a roast yesterday in the crockpot, and even I couldn't eat it. :o So, the dog is going to be eating a lot of meat!

I'm copying down your recipes & will let you know which ones the family likes :)

Thanks for the site! It looks like there are some crock pot dinners in our future!

Lisajl

here is the recipe for sweet potato custard-it was great!

5 cups chopped peeled sweet potatoes

2 tsp lemon juice

2 tbsp. softened butter

1/4 cup packed brown sugar

1 tsp salt

1/2 tsp papricka

1 egg

1/4 cup light or regular sour cream

In a pot of boiling water ,cook sweet potatoes for 15 to 20 minutes or until tender. Drain and transfer to a blender or food processor ( I hand mashed and it turned out fine). Mas till smooth and add lemon juice. In a bowl combine butter, brown sugar, salt, papricka, egg and sour cream. Beat until smooth. Fold in potato puree, and transfer to lightly greased crockpot. Cover and cook on low fopr 4-6 hours or on high for 2-3 hours until custard is set and slightly browned around the edges.

I made a "Cleaning Out the Pantry" Crockpot chicken yesterday. I wanted to get rid of a bunch of canned goods, so I through it all together - it was really good! I think you can be creative when you crockpot!

Skinless chicken breast
2 cans of artichoke hearts, quartered
1 can sliced mushrooms
1 can cream of celery soup
salt, pepper, thyme
a few shakes of sherry
1/2 cup of chicken broth

I think that was it, but it ended up being a tasty meal!

chellnjr, thank you for the website!

I know I'll use it!

Also, my cousin just had twins (and she has a child that just turned 1yr. old + an 8 year old). I gave her the site. ;)

Annemarie

Oh my!!!!

Well...guess what I got for Christmas ;) I've never had a crock pot before, and tried my first Beef Stew on Saturday - yes I just threw whatever took my fancy in, but fortunately it was still a big success, LOL.

Anyhow, NOT being a natural cook, but having a dinner that was both easy and tasty I am flush with success and eager for more!!! Naturally I headed here first :) I have printed off the <i>great</i> recipes from this thread and I had something approaching a pink-fit when the first web link of recipes I went to had 5,800, hehehe.

Today I have a bolognase cooking whilst I'm at work (more 'just chuck it all in' cooking :rolleyes: ) - I prepared everything last night, popped it all in the pot and then stuck it in the fridge so this morning all I had to do was pop it in the pot and switch it on :)

I'm so darn enthusiastic about this crock pot I really wish I'd got one years ago now - words like 'best thing' and 'sliced bread' are floating thru my mind :) (I hope you have that phrase in the States otherwise what I just said would have made NO sense, hehehe.)

Thanks for the great thread :)

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter