Cruise 10/11/2003

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hey Viking! - Won't the DISmeet you scheduled conflict with the Lifeboat Drill?? BTW - I goofed and put in my real name instead of my DIS name. Any way to correct it? Shari Meyr="Taswira"!

He is German Taswira after all. Planning to the infinite degree:) Hello all my soon to be new cruisemates and older ones:bounce: :bounce: Mike

Well guys, I see our family is growing already! Welcome alikat99. See taswira you are now a veteran to our group!

Viking- I wanted to delay our trip because of the low dollar, however the major reasons are the other 2 people we are traveling with. One is heavy in the stock market (we now where that is now!) and the other had her water well collapse and to drill another one is $7000. So I believe our trip is delayed for 2 years. However I think that I'd rather go to Tokyo than Paris. Oh well, I go where ever the plane takes me. Again thanks for the CD of EuroDisney!

Taswira- I saw on your web page that you were in stateroom #7628, Scott and I are in #7128 on the Magic in October. Is this the largest port hole opening in Cat 7? Both ships are twins correct?

papa- Glad to see your family reunion went well. How is our neice doing? Tell Kathy I said hi!

Tulirose- I do not know how to do the scrolling message, you will need to teach me that! How are your gardens doing? And can you believe that must of my mums died again! This is the second time I have planted them-and we had a warm winter.

Mary (RellingTwin) hope the puter gets better-we had a Dell for about 3 weeks (actually 2) no luck with them!

TwinAve- Your husband will love the cruise! Looking forward to meeting you!

Everyone have a great weekend.

Dan

Originally posted by dan and scott
Taswira- I saw on your web page that you were in stateroom #7628, Scott and I are in #7128 on the Magic in October. Is this the largest port hole opening in Cat 7? Both ships are twins correct?
The ships are not <I>exactly</I> twins. In Cat. 7 (Navigator Verandah), both have the same nautical touches and big open-air (no plexiglass) porthole. But the "porthole" on the Wonder is more of a big rectangle with rounded edges. On the Magic it is round, so you lose a little in size. Still, I've had Cat. 5 and Cat. 7, and I actually <I>prefer</I> Cat. 7.

Originally posted by Tulirose

"even though Windemere was with us last year, I never did get to meet her. "

It's my elusive nature. Actually it's my shy DH.

Hi all -

Thanks for the welcome to the group!! I have a couple of questions for the veteran cruisers.

1. What would you suggest for room category? I will be booking via DVC points and I have enough points to go all the way up to a cat 6. Since this will be our very first cruise ever, we're not sure what to do. We know that we at least want an outside room, but we're wondering about getting a verandah. Our thoughts are that we might want to have a verandah, since our DD will have just turned 2. So, she will probably still be taking at least one nap a day, and it would be nice to have a place to sit while she was napping. And, if we do get a verandah, what do people like better a regular verandah or the navigator's verandah? I'm sure that it's a personal decision, I'm just fishing for thoughts from others.

2. If we do get a verandah, DH would have a ball taking pictures on the digital camera when going in and out of port. Is one side of the ship better than the other regarding pulling into the ports?

Thanks for your help, and I can't wait for the fun to begin!!!

Hi alikat99! You're so right - Verandahs <I>are</I> a matter of personal preference. I think once you've had one, you'll never want to do without one. The regular verandah is good if you like the totally open atmosphere and wide open view. The only drawbacks I experienced were the one occasion someone was smoking on the verandah next door (drifting my way and I'm a non-smoker), and the one evening when it was too windy to enjoy. Having a Cat. 7 on my next cruise, I LOVED the ambience, the nicely cushioned built-in bench, the nautical touches (instruments, map), the fact that the table was wood and a bit bigger than the one on the regular verandahs, and that the big open-air porthole allowed a good view, but the rest being enclosed meant I could sit out there on a windy evening and still be comfortable. But that is just <I>my</I> preference. As for which side is better - I like starboard. If the ship backs into port (as it most often seems to), starboard usually affords a better view (nicer scenery, especially at Castaway Cay). But if the ship pulls straight in, you'd be better off on the port side. You never know.

Shari,

I think you have to mail to one of the Webmasters to have your name changed on the Magic Meetings page. BTW, Meyr is the most used family name in Germany written in many variations: Meier, Meyer, Maier, Mayer, Meir, Meyr. It fills many, many pages in every German phonebook.
I just put 4pm on the Magic Meetings page without thinking of the drill, let's just meet directly after the lifeboat drill.

Alikat99,
we also have a Cat 7-stateroom on the starboard side with a Navigators Veranda like on our last cruise. We like it very much, especially because it gives you great shelter from the wind when enroute.

Rosemary,
WE actually met Windermere and her DH!!!
And this time we will drag you to the Gym every day :p

Mike,
speaking of planning: I'd say it's lunch and cocktails at the Topsider's open deck directly after boarding, isn't it?
Will you, Kathy and Dan&Scott again be the first in line waiting for entering the ship? ;)

Dan & Scott,

won't Tokyo be much more expensive? Japan is one of the most expensive places for tourists worldwide!!

Thanks for all of the replies on my verandah issue. Since I'm booking on DVC points, I have to wait until 11/11 to book the cruise. I think that we might try to get a navigator's verandah, but I see that there aren't that many. I guess that I'll just have to wait to see what's left come November.

Viking - I don't think I'll worry about being listed by my name. Anyone on this thread will probably eventually figure out that Shari Meyr is Taswira. No need to bug the webmaster. If you specifically want us to be listed by user name, I can add myself again as Taswira. Let me know. Thanks. And yes, Meyr is common in Germany and Austria, but my DH and I are the only ones in Idaho and I think there are two or three others in Florida. Many of them settled in a small town in Missouri.

Taswira,
the main issue is that you are listed, it doesn't matter what name you used. In the CountdownCentral we are also listed as Anja & Eric and not as Viking. BTW, if you wonder how my DW's name is pronounced: It sounds like "Unya".
And we have not only been at Alikat99's homebeach, we've also been to yours: In 97 we were in Florida with another couple from Germany and his most important desire was to drive on the Beach. So after visiting KSC we went do Daytona, cruised along the Beach with our rented Grand Voyager and took a short dip in the Atlantic Ocean. But I must admit that I like the Gulf Coast better. I didn't like the cars on the beach and I also wasn't very fond of all the highrise buildings towering over the beach. But the sea was great, I always miss the surf at the Gulf Coast.

I agree with you. My place in Daytona is actually in the Spruce Creek Fly-In community, about 20 minutes from the beach although the official address is still Daytona Beach. To be honest with you, I was born and raised in San Diego, California. Although the beaches there (and the environment) aren't so great now, the La Jolla Shores area made some wonderful childhood (and college years) memories. Spruce Creek Fly-In is a terrific place to live, but what I like most is that it isn't <I>too</I> far to drive to Orlando or Port Canaveral ;-).

What's a Fly-In? Is it a communíty with an own runway?

Wow, is this thread hopping or what!!! Just thought I'd take a quick peek in between parties (four this weekend!) but we have no time to read over all these new posts. Will do asap. Rich and I have next week off - no trips planned except a one day journey out east.

Will be back later and read postings thoroughly!

Yes, it's private though. <a href="http://www.fly-in.com/">CLICK HERE</A> for an overview and pictures. Hey - My last post today! DH and I are headed to Boise ID to the national <a href="http://www.parade2002.org/">2002 Porsche Parade</A> events so he can show off one of his <a href="http://primateprojections.com/porsche.jpg">Porsches</A> That's me in it. He has another he got at the factory in Germany, but it's now a broken down rust-bucket that won't run! He won't get rid of it "For sentimental reasons."

Hi Rosemary,

have a great week. I hope you have weather like we have right now: The summer is back with temps in the 80ies and 90ties after four weeks of rain and cold. Now I know what we bought that convertible for :smooth:

All the best to you, Rich and Richie

Taswira,

I can understand your DH ;) since I bought my first convertible about six years ago, my motobike is more like a monument than a vehicle, but I don't have the heart to sell it.
So if you're an aviator, you are a costumer of the company I work for: Jeppesen.
Have fun at the Porsche-Meeting. And prepare yourself for some nasty jokes about Porsche-Drivers in 440 days :jester: We've got plenty of them over here (Porsche-Drivers and jokes;) )
It's a nice Targa you've got there, one of the real things with the original aircooled powerplant. The new Porsches may be better, but they're too tame IMHO. Isn't it frustrating to drive such a fast car in your speed-limited country? Or do you travel to Montana frequently to let it run freely ?

Originally posted by Viking
> And prepare yourself for some nasty jokes about Porsche-Drivers in 440 days :jester: We've got plenty of them over here (Porsche-Drivers and jokes;) )
Just a note before heading up to today's events (Concours): I want to clarify that it is DH who is the Porsche owner. I sat in it for the picture, but have never driven it. I once printed out 4 pages of "Porsche jokes" for him. He was not amused ;-). When DH got his other Porsche straight from the factory, it made the trip to the states with him on the QE 2 (which had a limit of 10 cars). Turns out the QE 2 is only about a foot longer and a foot wider than the DCL ships. As for Montana, they now have a speed limit!

Well another day closer to our Halloween cruise, but more excited about seeing all of you next year! It is not the same, I hardly ever post anymore to that link. I miss you guys!

Question, if I wait to book while onboard (to get the $200 shipboard credit) can I have thme not assign it to my current travel agent? That way I can transfer it to DREAMS at a later date. I know that if I do DREAMS we can request seating, correct?

Well thats all for now.

Dan

Status
Not open for further replies.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

GET UP TO A $1000 SHIPBOARD CREDIT AND AN EXCLUSIVE GIFT!

If you make your Disney Cruise Line reservation with Dreams Unlimited Travel you’ll receive these incredible shipboard credits to spend on your cruise!

Latest posts

facebook twitter