Cruise and Theme Park Operational Updates due to Coronavirus

Status
Not open for further replies.
Recently saw a poster on a Facebook group say that no one should travel to Disney because all the workers are at risk. Which is 100% true, the risk is there. But...if no one travels to Disney, wouldn’t the workers also be at risk of losing their jobs because no one is coming to the parks to spend money? I was just curious what others thought.

It is hard to comment too much as it gets political quickly but the only real options are for businesses to open so people can get paid or to pay workers to not come in to work (either via their company or the government). You can't really just shut everything down for a year+ and not provide money

That said, I have tons of mixed emotions around when I see people traveling down to WDW now or even see their commercials .... Numbers are going the wrong way and CDC is advising not traveling for Thanksgiving, etc. - I know we cancelled our Thanksgiving plans (was just over to my mom's house, would stay within our state) and are staying home.

So feels weird to have that take on one hand and then on the other be ok with traveling to WDW - but also know that if no one goes they will layoff more people (and Disney is doing the best they can to be as safe as possible, but still not as safe as not going)

So lots of mixed messaging and emotions and over thinking and obviously not helping my overall anxiety levels 😂

Who are the big groups of people who want mandatory masks forever? I think at the very most I’ve seen people say they want mask wearing *normalized* if you are feeling under the weather (which I happen to agree with), but that is not the same thing nor is it a wish to personally wear them forever all the time.

I am in many different facebooks groups and there are the side of people that think schools and, shopping and theme parks should never remove the requirements. Also read others argue they should stay around because it allows immune suppressed people to be able to navigate society more safely.

It is hard to comment too much as it gets political quickly but the only real options are for businesses to open so people can get paid or to pay workers to not come in to work (either via their company or the government). You can't really just shut everything down for a year+ and not provide money

That said, I have tons of mixed emotions around when I see people traveling down to WDW now or even see their commercials .... Numbers are going the wrong way and CDC is advising not traveling for Thanksgiving, etc. - I know we cancelled our Thanksgiving plans (was just over to my mom's house, would stay within our state) and are staying home.

So feels weird to have that take on one hand and then on the other be ok with traveling to WDW - but also know that if no one goes they will layoff more people (and Disney is doing the best they can to be as safe as possible, but still not as safe as not going)

So lots of mixed messaging and emotions and over thinking and obviously not helping my overall anxiety levels 😂
Totally agree! It’s basically a Catch 22 situation :rolleyes1

Hello. Supposed to go to WDW right after Thanksgiving. Any Covid updates? Anyone returning and testing positive. Just don't know what to do. Was there in September and felt very safe. Things have changed a bit now. Would love to hear from those who have been there or who know someone who just returned.
We were there Nov 4-11. Flew Southwest and used Magical Express and Tony Hinds for transport. We stayed at Universal and Disney hotels and went to both Universal parks and Hollywood Studios. Home 12 days and no symptoms for any of the 4 of us. Enjoy your trip if you decide to go!

Who are the big groups of people who want mandatory masks forever? I think at the very most I’ve seen people say they want mask wearing *normalized* if you are feeling under the weather (which I happen to agree with), but that is not the same thing nor is it a wish to personally wear them forever all the time.

Women that have enjoyed not having to spend a ton of money on makeup?

Joking aside, I’m sure there are some that do hope they’re mandated forever, hypochondriacs maybe, but for the most part it’s not keeping them mandated, it’s as you said, normalizing the use of them beyond the pandemic.

I would be thrilled to never, ever hear "fill in all the available space" ever again. It's so uncomfortable--and smelly--being smushed up against strangers. I actually see some of the distancing staying. Probably not 6 feet but maybe 3.
I don’t see any distance staying. The parks were not physically built for distancing, distancing costs Disney man hours to maintain the stickers and loses them money in shops and restaurants.

We were @ WDW last week. We got to see the fireworks from our room on Monday night. The next day, we were @ MK and we were watching the castle projections, and people were relatively space out. Why couldn't they bring back the fireworks as long as park capacity remains the same?
$$$$$$$

It’s not that Disney can’t, they just don’t need to. They can’t make the same amount of money they used to on fireworks right now (parties, dining packages) and indeed they might lose money if it doesn’t drive a bunch more people into the park at night to buy stuff.

Women that have enjoyed not having to spend a ton of money on makeup?

Joking aside, I’m sure there are some that do hope they’re mandated forever, hypochondriacs maybe, but for the most part it’s not keeping them mandated, it’s as you said, normalizing the use of them beyond the pandemic.
People like to "feel" safe .. and just like we have put up with the TSA for 2 decades, some will gladly accept and embrace mask mandates forever as a "new normal" if they "feel" safer.

But . .if people WANT to go back to doing fun things in big groups again .. we just simply need to "get over" social distancing eventually. That cannot (and will not) last (I mean it is already dying out in most places). It's impossible to do unless everyone is staying home and capacity at every place of business is severely reduced forever. (Which just means a lot of places would simply go out of business permanently ..including some smaller theme parks).

People like to "feel" safe .. and just like we have put up with the TSA for 2 decades, some will gladly accept and embrace mask mandates forever as a "new normal" if they "feel" safer.

But . .if people WANT to go back to doing fun things in big groups again .. we just simply need to "get over" social distancing eventually. That cannot (and will not) last (I mean it is already dying out in most places). It's impossible to do unless everyone is staying home and capacity at every place of business is severely reduced forever. (Which just means a lot of places would simply go out of business permanently ..including some smaller theme parks).
I don’t think masks and the TSA are anywhere near the same thing. The TSA does much more than just make people feel safe. It’s not like the security checkpoints at WDW that used to be more for show. TSA actually serves a purpose.

I would love for social distancing to remain forever. Not having people crashing into my back in queues, or having to get up close and personal with sweaty people in the outdoor line for HM. I’m fine never doing anything in a big crowd again. I enjoy walking around and giving people space as they walk past me, or hopping off the sidewalk into the road to let someone pass when walking outside. It’s been nice for us.

I would be thrilled to never, ever hear "fill in all the available space" ever again. It's so uncomfortable--and smelly--being smushed up against strangers. I actually see some of the distancing staying. Probably not 6 feet but maybe 3.
I wouldn't mind some permanent spacing at any level!

We were over at Muppets about 2 weeks ago, and the CM assigned our marker and they gave specific directives about distancing, protocols, etc. Then a few minutes later before the doors to the show opened, the original recording began to run. (Paraphrased) "Be sure to move all the way forward and fill up all available space."

It was just one of those moments, lol.

I don’t think masks and the TSA are anywhere near the same thing. The TSA does much more than just make people feel safe. It’s not like the security checkpoints at WDW that used to be more for show. TSA actually serves a purpose.

I would love for social distancing to remain forever. Not having people crashing into my back in queues, or having to get up close and personal with sweaty people in the outdoor line for HM. I’m fine never doing anything in a big crowd again. I enjoy walking around and giving people space as they walk past me, or hopping off the sidewalk into the road to let someone pass when walking outside. It’s been nice for us.
TSA was perhaps an extreme example, but my point is we embraced that inconvenience (eventually) because it makes us feel safer rather than complaining too hard on its "inconvenience" or "lack of freedom".

Oh .. I'm sure some people WANT social distancing to remain (more than masks) .. you bring up some great points of NOT having to be shoulder-to-shoulder with sweaty people anymore .. but the only way to do that is to reduce max capacities on all sorts of things, theme parks, sporting events, concerts, restaurants, bars, movie theaters. What price are WE willing to pay for a Disney World ticket that ensures that max capacity never goes much higher than what they are having today? Double the ticket price? Triple?

But, another good thing to come of the pandemic is that more (not all) people will be more aware of their surroundings.

Right? I've literally not seen a single person say they want masks to be required forever. :confused3 But I, for one, very much hope masks will continue to be allowed at WDW going forward. I can't get the flu vaccine and am highly susceptible to complications from the flu: being allowed to wear a mask during high-risk months would be really, really nice.

That said, I have tons of mixed emotions around when I see people traveling down to WDW now or even see their commercials .... Numbers are going the wrong way and CDC is advising not traveling for Thanksgiving, etc.
Same. I live in a heavy tourism area west of WDW and know a LOT of our businesses depend on tourism... but seeing soooo many out of state plates this week, just as FL's numbers are spiking again, is really unnerving. And yet, am I going to WDW in a couple weeks? Yep. Though, to be fair, I'm also taking huge levels of precautions to protect myself and others (masks on in public, no indoor dining, etc.) that I'm willing to bet at least half of our visitors don't do. At least, that's my rationalization. So yeah - mixed emotions, for sure.

Right? I've literally not seen a single person say they want masks to be required forever. :confused3 But I, for one, very much hope masks will continue to be allowed at WDW going forward. I can't get the flu vaccine and am highly susceptible to complications from the flu: being allowed to wear a mask during high-risk months would be really, really nice.

Same. I live in a heavy tourism area west of WDW and know a LOT of our businesses depend on tourism... but seeing soooo many out of state plates this week, just as FL's numbers are spiking again, is really unnerving. And yet, am I going to WDW in a couple weeks? Yep. Though, to be fair, I'm also taking huge levels of precautions to protect myself and others (masks on in public, no indoor dining, etc.) that I'm willing to bet at least half of our visitors don't do. At least, that's my rationalization. So yeah - mixed emotions, for sure.
Medical/ surgical/ blue masks have always been allowed at WDW, you won't have an issue.

I don’t see any distance staying. The parks were not physically built for distancing, distancing costs Disney man hours to maintain the stickers and loses them money in shops and restaurants.
Distancing works because the parks are at low capacity. Imagine how horrible the winding lines would be at 60%? Once we are past the Rona, Disney will want to pack as many people in the parks as possible.

Status
Not open for further replies.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter