Cruise and Theme Park Operational Updates due to Coronavirus

Status
Not open for further replies.
Well, he basically said it depends on the progress of vaccinations - which is only going to get better.
Right so things could change, but as of now that’s their plan. So if that’s going to affect people’s plans, they should plan expecting masks and social distancing IMO. Just trying to let people know what Disney’s current plan is.

Also, I would like to clarify it was a little unclear on the call. He said he expects masks and social distancing to be in place for the rest of the year. But then he also said he doesn’t expect them to be in place in 2022. So there’s some disconnect there. It was also never made clear whether that meant calendar year or fiscal year since Disney’s fiscal year ends on September 30.

Below is the full quote.

“We have no doubt, and when we reopen up in parks that were closed, or increase the capacity, that we’ll have some level of social distancing and mask-wearing for the remainder of this year. That’s our expectation. But, I believe that Dr. Fauci said earlier today that he hopes that there is vaccines for everyone who wants them by April this year. If that happens, that is a game-changer.

And that could accelerate our expectations, and give people the confidence that they need to come back to the parks. Will there be overlap until we know that we have herd immunity? Sure there will. But do we believe we’ll be in the same state of 6 foot social distance and mask wearing in 22? Absolutely not.”

Also, I would like to clarify it was a little unclear on the call. He said he expects masks and social distancing to be in place for the rest of the year. But then he also said he doesn’t expect them to be in place in 2022. So there’s some disconnect there. It was also never made clear whether that meant calendar year or fiscal year since Disney’s fiscal year ends on September 30.

Below is the full quote.

“We have no doubt, and when we reopen up in parks that were closed, or increase the capacity, that we’ll have some level of social distancing and mask-wearing for the remainder of this year. That’s our expectation. But, I believe that Dr. Fauci said earlier today that he hopes that there is vaccines for everyone who wants them by April this year. If that happens, that is a game-changer.

And that could accelerate our expectations, and give people the confidence that they need to come back to the parks. Will there be overlap until we know that we have herd immunity? Sure there will. But do we believe we’ll be in the same state of 6 foot social distance and mask wearing in 22? Absolutely not.”

Key to me is "some level of social distancing and mask-wearing for remainder of this year" - I think depending on how vaccinations go, we could be looking at easing of restrictions as early as fall.

****I am not anyone who knows anything, so don't book a trip based on what I said :D

I think if we have enough vaccines available for anyone of any age group to vaccinated by April, Disney's plans will be greatly accelerated. We all know they are still losing money and want that to change as fast as possible.

Last edited:
Ample demand comment again. So are they keeping resorts closed for purely fiscal reasons?

Edit: probably referring across the board. No doubt DL demand is sky high.

Right. And they likely know there are people who *want* to go but won’t until they are vaccinated. I think they can comfortably project that demand will be higher once more people are more comfortable - whether that’s due to being vaccinated themselves, or transmission being lowered due to vaccinations. There is still pent up demand for WDW even though it is open. Many people just aren’t comfortable going yet, but that will surely change as vaccination becomes more widespread.

Last edited:
Key to me is "some level of social distancing and mask-wearing for remainder of this year" - I think depending on how vaccinations go, we could be looking at easing of restrictions as early as fall.

****I am not anyone who knows anything, so don't book a trip based on what I said :D
I'm keeping my November cruise based on this post alone.

I think it’ll be gradual. No masks outside but still indoors. Things like that.
I see gradual lifting, too. Not sure how to do anything but all or nothing within park gates, but that's why I work where I do and not at Disney.

Upon further thought, I think Springs/DTD and resort hotels would be first to go based on local transmission rates. I'd love to walk from my room to Sassagoula for some beignets sans mask. Maybe full busses with masks, then off walking around at Springs but individual shops and Disney especially want them at the door but the stores are allowed to fully open again.

I'd love nuance at the parks, but I think Disney would rather have no cap on attendance and a return of MNSSHP by 10/1/2021 while keeping masks required regardless of where you are. Maybe if a lull appears between 10/15 or whatever and Thanksgiving they could trial masks off outdoors and on in shows and shops or something. But it seems like so much of a headache in the parks to enforce something like that, especially after they nixed walking and eating/drinking last summer.

Right. And they likely know there are people who *want* to go but won’t until they are vaccinated. I think they can comfortably project that demand will be higher once more people are more comfortable - whether that’s due to being vaccinated themselves, or transmission being lowered due to vaccinations. There is still pent up demand for WDW even though it is open. Many people just aren’t comfortable going yet, but that will surely change as vaccination becomes more widespread.

Or won't go again until things meaningfully come back. I'm surprisingly not bothered by the masks in FL heat, but I want fireworks, bad hot dogs at Casey's, and other things that are missing or soon to open and new (Rat, especially) before we book again.

You and the positivity, stick around, I like that.

But really I'm with you on that.

I think it’ll be gradual. No masks outside but still indoors. Things like that.

LEGOLAND has done this with great success. I can see universal likely following suit first, and then Disney world. Something gradual outside and still keeping masks and lines on the ground for indoors.

Likely depends on when Florida lifts the state of emergency in conjunction with the hard numbers (hopefully continuing to go down) for spring/summer.

I asked a fellow Floridian if they care, and he said no. That's where it started. Not to mention the governor has done little to create good faith that he's doing the right thing.

But I agree, if someone thinks ALL of Florida is dangerous, including Orlando/WDW, why would you go?

I think Gov is doing a great job in Florida, better than a lot of other states, and I am not even a fan of his.

I still think they may redefine what “full capacity” is.
I agree. Here was what Chapek said during the call today.

Q: more on parks
capex... what's in it?

A: Bob...Parks... year of challenge and learning.. how to squeeze yield (dollars) out of people in new and innovative ways! Able to break old ways that weren't working that well. Our 'problem' is too many guests!! So, we now have more levers to control that with new procedures starting from scratch.

A: Christine... parks people have done a great way to control costs.
capex... reducing capex at parks
increase capex in media for tech and DTC infrastructure

LEGOLAND has done this with great success. I can see universal likely following suit first, and then Disney world. Something gradual outside and still keeping masks and lines on the ground for indoors.

Likely depends on when Florida lifts the state of emergency in conjunction with the hard numbers (hopefully continuing to go down) for spring/summer.

we have been going to legoland since sept because of their rules are just more reasonable for us and they only require the masks for 8 and up.

I agree that Universal will lead the charge. But when they trialed seating every row at Bourne recently they got slaughtered at guest relations. People aren't ready yet, but do think they will be ready to pack in a little toward the traditional school summer season. When more people are vaccinated their attitudes will modify. Maybe not ready to go "full bore" again, but sitting every row in a theater or closing in some of the gaps in line - things like that.

I still think they may redefine what “full capacity” is.

Clearly they see per capita spending up with less AP availability utilizing the ParkPass system. The raw number allowed in may be the same, but they'll make sure those numbers are coming from hard ticket guests in the majority as opposed to the current AP structure.

I agree. Here was what Chapek said during the call today.

Q: more on parks
capex... what's in it?

A: Bob...Parks... year of challenge and learning.. how to squeeze yield (dollars) out of people in new and innovative ways! Able to break old ways that weren't working that well. Our 'problem' is too many guests!! So, we now have more levers to control that with new procedures starting from scratch.

A: Christine... parks people have done a great way to control costs.
capex... reducing capex at parks
increase capex in media for tech and DTC infrastructure
Yes Disney has finally admitted the have packed the parks to much. They need to use the park reservation system to control the crowds and figure out how to make a profit with lower attendance numbers.

Status
Not open for further replies.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter