Cruise and Theme Park Operational Updates due to Coronavirus

Status
Not open for further replies.
Countries HAVE shut down because of this. Italy is dead aside from the essentials right now. I don't know what else to tell you.
Italy is one country.. I said world.. The entire world cannot physically shut down. It is not possible. And Italy is not shut down like you think it is. Cancelling mass gatherings like sporting events and concerts is one thing.. shutting down a grocery store is not going to happen

I have been in WDW and Universal the last 5 days. Disney Springs tonight and Universal tomorrow. This is a high school student group on spring break. I know everyone is posting and talking about the hand washing stations, hand sanitizing stations, cleanliness signs and wiping down magicband finger scanners. Let me just say NO parks I went in were wiping down scanners between guests as initially reported. The bathrooms at Disney were filthy. Now Universal doesn’t have all the stations and media Disney does, but their clean measures far exceed Disney.

So .. really .. what's next .. when does it stop? How far do we really need to go and disrupt our economy? (That will have way more long-lasting effects to EVERYONE not just to those who get the virus)

Major sporting events have closed -- now major theme parks are likely to close. Colleges are closing or going to online only.

What's next? Stopping all domestic flights, buses and trains? Close all movie theatres? Restaurants? Public schools?

Granted a lot of things (like restaurants/hotels, etc.) may just close down naturally because people aren't going out at all for the rest of the month.

I agree with trying to slow the spread, but how far do you go in a free country like ours?

You can't ask these questions or you will be told you don't care about old people dying. ;)

The more you look at the numbers, we should be taking a close look at what South Korea is doing vs. Italy... (Not sure what the answer there is, but their outbreaks started around the same time, but it seems as though its taken two very differing tracks in the two countries...)

SK distanced immediately...Italians didn't, even after the initial city quarantine...then the country one that allowed restaurants...and now the full one...

So, they spent an extra week letting their folks wander a ton...

And they are older and smoke more than SK...and they had way more open borders with some of the outbreak countries longer...

So .. really .. what's next .. when does it stop? How far do we really need to go and disrupt our economy? (That will have way more long-lasting effects to EVERYONE not just to those who get the virus)

Major sporting events have closed -- now major theme parks are likely to close. Colleges are closing or going to online only.

What's next? Stopping all domestic flights, buses and trains? Close all movie theatres? Restaurants? Public schools?

Granted a lot of things (like restaurants/hotels, etc.) may just close down naturally because people aren't going out at all for the rest of the month.

I agree with trying to slow the spread, but how far do you go in a free country like ours?

Italy's outbreak started from one Iranian food delivery person who blew off self-quarantine...and now you know why everything can shut...

I have been in WDW and Universal the last 5 days. Disney Springs tonight and Universal tomorrow. This is a high school student group on spring break. I know everyone is posting and talking about the hand washing stations, hand sanitizing stations, cleanliness signs and wiping down magicband finger scanners. Let me just say NO parks I went in were wiping down scanners between guests as initially reported. The bathrooms at Disney were filthy. Now Universal doesn’t have all the stations and media Disney does, but their clean measures far exceed Disney.
I was just up at the parks...UO (who I love and mean no disrespect to - everyone's doing their best) had a bunch of purell stations throughout parks, but they were ALWAYS out of sanitizer...not a single one had any - so not sure if they've been checking regularly or just can't keep up. But I brought my own and honestly everyone shouldn't rely on that anyway.

But there was one thing that was very troublesome: when the ticket sensor was having trouble reading my passholder fingerprint on file the first few times, a couple of team members kept trying to get me to wipe my finger (which had just touched the dirty sensor thousands of others had touched) behind my ear and on my arm, so I could try again. o_O I smiled and just nicely said I don't think that's wise given the recent outbreaks. lol Of course this was a week or so ago...so maybe the awareness has improved. But I can see this spreading faster than it has to because of issues like that.

I hope that in some way Disney will be able to help their employees get through this with some sort of wage protection. This is heartbreaking on so many levels...of course public health and well being are the chief concern but ALL the people out of work who depend on tourism (whether that be in the parks, cruise ships, tourist destinations, etc) are going to be deeply hurt as well. Very, very sad.

It stops when people stop overreacting and freaking out! Good thing it’s not a “deadly” virus outbreak or something of that magnitude. World would really be in chaos. Just shows how the media can incite fear so quickly. Also shows how unprepared the world really is when something much worse happens. And it will. Flu is much worse and more common and even has a vaccine that’s not reliable and doesn’t even cause the smallest public outcry like Coronavirus is.

It stops when people stop overreacting and freaking out! Good thing it’s not a “deadly” virus outbreak or something of that magnitude. World would really be in chaos. Just shows how the media can incite fear so quickly. Also shows how unprepared the world really is when something much worse happens. And it will. Flu is much worse and more common and even has a vaccine that’s not reliable and doesn’t even cause the smallest public outcry like Coronavirus is.
Actually this is worse. Very deadly viruses don’t spread this far. They burn out. This is the perfect combo of easily spread and moderately deadly that makes for a dangerous pandemic.

If we don't control it those other things could happen. Kuwait has already done most of those - no theaters, restaurants, schools, bars. Grocery stores are about the only thing open.

I hope that in some way Disney will be able to help their employees get through this with some sort of wage protection. This is heartbreaking on so many levels...of course public health and well being are the chief concern but ALL the people out of work who depend on tourism (whether that be in the parks, cruise ships, tourist destinations, etc) are going to be deeply hurt as well. Very, very sad.

The article did say Disney will continue to pay their cast members during this ... Though obviously a lot of interconnected industries impacted as well

According to sky news an hour before the DL announcement. Perhaps they had no choice but to close?

"California bans non-essential public gatherings of more than 250 people - governor"
California has exempted Disney and a couple other select places.

Status
Not open for further replies.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

Latest posts

facebook twitter