Cruise and Theme Park Operational Updates due to Coronavirus

Status
Not open for further replies.
That is the only way you can enforce this to any degree in a democcracy. Checking everybody walking down the road is impossible but if you put the enforcement on the business side if no businesses are open it is easier to get people to stay home since there is no where to go. All the places I'd like to go toight are all closed. So I'll get my run in and then come back home.

would need to close the "nature" places too though. Some areas are closing parks and stuff as people are flocking there as it is somewhere to go (although NYC is doing the reverse and opening more areas of Central Park to spread the people out while still giving them somewhere to go)

I know we went hiking on Sunday and I've never seen so many people out on the trails - particularly given it is March and still a bit cool (everyone made sure to stay at least 6 feet away from each other)

would need to close the "nature" places too though. Some areas are closing parks and stuff as people are flocking there as it is somewhere to go (although NYC is doing the reverse and opening more areas of Central Park to spread the people out while still giving them somewhere to go)

I know we went hiking on Sunday and I've never seen so many people out on the trails - particularly given it is March and still a bit cool (everyone made sure to stay at least 6 feet away from each other)
I think the nature places are ok so long as people show some restraint. We've gone to our state park a few times and I agree, it's busier than normal. But people seem to be practicing common sense. Generally people don't like to be that close to strangers unless forced like a subway or Disney World. So the parks are probably ok. Playground equipment would be an issue more than anything. Again, the reason Disney is a problem is because so many things are "touchable". In fact, many things REQUIRE touching.

Agreed and one reason I've avoided the greenway here even hough I like it and have just been running on sidewalks near by house. I may pass 1 or 2 people at most and only near them a few seconds. In fact is some ways its safer now since I don't have dodge cars coming in and out of shopping centers who can care less about pedestrians...lol

I think the nature places are ok so long as people show some restraint. We've gone to our state park a few times and I agree, it's busier than normal. But people seem to be practicing common sense. Generally people don't like to be that close to strangers unless forced like a subway or Disney World. So the parks are probably ok. Playground equipment would be an issue more than anything. Again, the reason Disney is a problem is because so many things are "touchable". In fact, many things REQUIRE touching.

giphy.gif

Nothing big, but I thought I’d report that Disney is now calling all employees to check on them and to let them know they are still working on schedules and do not have any answers at this time.

Nothing definitive but it does at least tell us they haven’t for sure said they are closed next week or not. Also nice they are reaching out to tell us this personally and individually. They said to request a leader callback if you have any questions.

Nothing big, but I thought I’d report that Disney is now calling all employees to check on them and to let them know they are still working on schedules and do not have any answers at this time.

Nothing definitive but it does at least tell us they haven’t for sure said they are closed next week or not. Also nice they are reaching out to tell us this personally and individually. They said to request a leader callback if you have any questions.

That is nice of them to do but I can't believe they are actually considering opening april 1.

That is nice of them to do but I can't believe they are actually considering opening april 1.
No inside information but I'm with you. I wonder if they aren't reviewing all their legal documents right now for what they can and can't do. The original closure caught them somewhat short. If they can convert some cast members to work phone lines, provide some strong guidance to those on the front lines, in general be better prepared with information and technical services, the cancellation extension might be better managed.

Getting all those ducks in a row, testing systems, cleaning up the stuff already in the pipeline, there might be good reasons to delay a bit longer. Anyone still expecting to go April 1 is deluding themselves.

No inside information but I'm with you. I wonder if they aren't reviewing all their legal documents right now for what they can and can't do. The original closure caught them somewhat short. If they can convert some cast members to work phone lines, provide some strong guidance to those on the front lines, in general be better prepared with information and technical services, the cancellation extension might be better managed.

Getting all those ducks in a row, testing systems, cleaning up the stuff already in the pipeline, there might be good reasons to delay a bit longer. Anyone still expecting to go April 1 is deluding themselves.

That is an interesting thought. If closures extend beyond April 1, I don't think disney is going to keep paying people who are not working. However, if they can find some of those people other jobs they can do then that would be a chance to keep paying some of them at least. That is an interesting thoought and that could cause a delay in schedules in figuring out how many jobs they could give people and doing what.

I don’t think they are either. But they also have not decided to announce that yet either which says something. I think if they knew it would be months they’d go ahead and extend 2 weeks. If they think it might be early May, maybe they wait a few days and announce that.

I know some nature places are being closed around here (Atlantic Canada), they're asking people to please avoid playgrounds, and they just shut down all snowmobiling here in NB :(

I could see this. Granted, my husband is a government employee (teacher at provincial college), they were told that they may be reassigned to other duties while classes are cancelled. I could definitely see Disney doing this - especially working the phone lines etc...

I don’t think they are either. But they also have not decided to announce that yet either which says something. I think if they knew it would be months they’d go ahead and extend 2 weeks. If they think it might be early May, maybe they wait a few days and announce that.

Could be but they are getting inside that 7 days window when april trips have to pay. i have a hard time seeing them making people pay the balance on a package one day and then annoounce an extension the next day.

Lots of variables in play here. Going too be interesting to see what happens.

My opinion though is if in a week you see NYC using malls for hospitals and in the split screen shows crowds having fun at WDW, they would get a bunch of public backlash (and rightfully so).

All you have to do is look at the Spring Break Beaches last week and early this week to realize people have no self-control. I do believe parks would be fine if people used common sense, but there are just too many people who believe this doesn't apply to them, or they don't care. And, unfortunately, if people won't care on their own, they are going to be made to care. I also believe parks shouldn't be a big deal, outside common spaces like pavilions and playgrounds. But if people won't police themselves, we end up with harsher restrictions. A few bad apples ruining whole bunches, yes?
parks should be ok if just walking

With how bad New York is right now, it would be an embarrassment if TWDC tries to do any form of business at a Domestic park on 4/1. I would think they would get even more phone calls if they don't close on 4/1. It would be irresponsible, greedy, unhealthy, distasteful. I can go on and on. It is just disappointing that they haven't even mentioned anything on social media whatsoever. I haven't seen anything been on phone calls all day working from home. The only thing whatsoever is cancelling the Star Wars Half Marathon weekend.

... if in a week you see NYC using malls for hospitals and in the split screen shows crowds having fun at WDW, they would get a bunch of public backlash (and rightfully so).
Disney could try to avoid those optics with a new marketing campaign:
"What happens at Disney, stays at Disney."
😉

Status
Not open for further replies.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter